Hair Loss

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPJ13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a large amount of hair loss in their first two years of medical school? Does anyone know if it gets better in your clinical years? Is there an OMM procedure that can encourage new hair growth?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone noticed a large amount of hair loss in their first two years of medical school? Does anyone know if it gets better in your clinical years? Is there an OMM procedure that can encourage new hair growth?

Oh great, the last thing I need is for that process to accelerate...

Members don't see this ad :)
It's called genetics. When did your mom's dad lose his hair?

When did your mom's dad lose his hair?

That has little to do with it. Genetics, yes, but it's not some sort of mitochondrial inheritance. For the record, mine was going before medical school...take THAT 12 hour days of relentless studying.

Propecia! You can even buy it online.

I just gave up and finally started to shave my head haha.

Yea i heard its maternal too, that def makes me happy coz my grandpa is yet to lose a single strand hehe

I heard your mother's father is a myth and has been proven wrong But Propecia is the way to go, my bro and a friend took it and it worked for both of them. Down side is that you can never get off it, and it is 70 dollars a month

Yea i heard its maternal too, that def makes me happy coz my grandpa is yet to lose a single strand hehe

I don't think it is always maternal because my mothers side has absolutely no hair loss. However, my father was bald before he hit his 21st birthday. Both of my brothers (one just turned 21 and the other turning 24) both bald -- they shave their heads. Me? Receding hairline but discovered Propecia a few years ago.

I just don't get it...I just turned 22 on Friday, May 2nd, and I've always had a very thick head of hair. Beginning in late October or November 2007, as I looked in the mirror, I could start seeing more and more of the top of my scalp...I have been freaking out because GENETIC HAIR LOSS DOES NOT RUN IN MY FAMILY. My father has a full head of hair and he is almost 45 years old. My mother's father (uncle) has hair and he's almost into his 80s. Of course, he has less hair than when he was young, but this is normal in everyone. Absolutely nobody on either my father or mother's side is bald on top. I am not bald at all, but the hair directly on top of my crown and near the vertex area has thinned out quite a bit to the point I could see my scalp, especially when under a light. The hair grows pretty quickly, but it's just not what it used to be...it's pigmented, black as usual, but just thinner and as a result, there isn't sufficient coverage of the entire scalp. It doesn't get any thicker. This should not be happening to me. I could understand if many members in my family were bald or had very thin hair, but this isn't the case. I've been to two dermatologists, one of which was a bald jerk who didn't even care to tell me anything or any type of diagnosis or even a test for hair follicle miniaturization. Just told me about rogaine or propecia...crap doctor....I already knew about those. The second dermatologist better assisted me and said my scalp was a little inflamed and flaky. I've kind of noticed it tends to be itchy. He diagnosed seborrhaic dermatitis and told me it could contribute to hair thinning. I've been using loprox shampoo, but it doesn't seem to do anything beyond reducing itchiness. Another thing... I definitely have a Type A personality and constantly stress on every little detail...I am always thinking negatively and ridden with anxiety. But i feel if anxiety is the culprit, wouldn't the hair loss be all over rather than in the typical crown area as in most men?

I don't think it is always maternal because my mothers side has absolutely no hair loss. However, my father was bald before he hit his 21st birthday. Both of my brothers (one just turned 21 and the other turning 24) both bald -- they shave their heads. Me? Receding hairline but discovered Propecia a few years ago.

Over the course of some Board studying, I've learned that androgenic alopecia (male pattern baldness) is more likely to be an Autosomal Dominant trait or Polygenic. So yeah, the whole mitochondrial inheritance seems to be more of a myth or old way of thinking at best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Over the course of some Board studying, I've learned that androgenic alopecia (male pattern baldness) is more likely to be an Autosomal Dominant trait or Polygenic. So yeah, the whole mitochondrial inheritance seems to be more of a myth or old way of thinking at best.

Yeah, I really don't know much about the subject (pre-med), but I had a genetics teacher who said it was autosomal but sex influenced meaning if men had it it was expressed, if women did it was recessive. She also thought the whole 'look at the mom's dad's hair,' was a myth. If anyone is really suffering, you should check out Dr Craig Ziering. He's a DO dermatologist that has built a nice little medical empire on hair restoration.

http://www.zieringmedical.com/

I admire bald people. They look like heroes and don't need shampoo.

Yeah, I really don't know much about the subject (pre-med), but I had a genetics teacher who said it was autosomal but sex influenced meaning if men had it it was expressed, if women did it was recessive. She also thought the whole 'look at the mom's dad's hair,' was a myth. If anyone is really suffering, you should check out Dr Craig Ziering. He's a DO dermatologist that has built a nice little medical empire on hair restoration.

http://www.zieringmedical.com/

Doesn't "look at mom's dad's hair" conflict with mitochondrial inheritance anyway? Mom's dad didn't give mom any mitochondria

Doesn't "look at mom's dad's hair" conflict with mitochondrial inheritance anyway? Mom's dad didn't give mom any mitochondria

This is correct, your mother inherited her mitochondria from her mother, not her father.

Per Jorde et al:

"Confusion sometimes exists regarding traits that are sex-linked and those that are sex-limited or sex-influenced. A sex-limited trait occurs in only one of the sexes-due, for instance, to anatomical differences. Inherited uterine or testicular defects would be examples. A good example of a sex-influenced trait is male-pattern baldness, which occurs in both males and females but much more commonly in males. Contrary to oft-stated belief, male-pattern baldness is not X-linked. It is thought to be inherited as an autosomal dominant trait in males, whereas in females it is inherited as an autosomal recessive trait. Female heterozygotes can transmit the trait to their offspring but do not manifest it. Females display the trait only if they inherit two copies of the gene. Even then, they are more likely to display marked thinning of the hair, rather than complete baldness."

My hair is thinning at the same rate as my dad (20 + years older) but my brother is as hairy as a bear .... both grandfathers have thick heads of hair. I am going to pray it is stress and hard water, otherwise does anyone know if Propecia is covered by the $4 Wal-Mart plan?

HA! See us older guys have one up on you, I already lost most of mine so i'm not worried. If you think about it that gives me less stress because I don't have to worry about loosing my hair!

My hair is thinning at the same rate as my dad (20 + years older) but my brother is as hairy as a bear .... both grandfathers have thick heads of hair. I am going to pray it is stress and hard water, otherwise does anyone know if Propecia is covered by the $4 Wal-Mart plan?

I wish it was, I think it runs like $65 a month or so. The messed up part is that the patent ran out a few years ago, but still no generic! Maybe Canada...?

Apparently finasteride is also prescribed for BPH which is covered under insurance. The pills are 5mg instead of 1 so you'd have to cut it up.

Apparently finasteride is also prescribed for BPH which is covered under insurance. The pills are 5mg instead of 1 so you'd have to cut it up.

Might be kind of tough to have insurance companies buy a diagnosis for me having BPH, I think I might be a little young

I don't think I am "losing" hair per se. I just think it is migrating. If anything, it is possibly a net gain.

It really is disheartening to wash your hair and have handfuls of hair. It is only near the front of my head, but still depressing!

ok my sympathy to all my fellow men scared about their receding hair line..well i prescribe you guys B-complex as a prophylactic option to save what's left..hehe
stress, stress, stress is a major culprit in almost any disease process..b-complex is a mix of potent anti-oxidants so should help!

I think mine is thinning more than anything. I've had insanely thick hair my entire life. It always had to be thinned for about 5 minutes before the "stylist" could do anything. (He refused to be called a barber) The vast majority of my hair is as thick as ever, so I think now I'm probably going to normal human being domain. :p

Might be kind of tough to have insurance companies buy a diagnosis for me having BPH, I think I might be a little young

Haha.. yeah.. I wouldn't count on it.

Insurance does not cover Propecia. I buy mine overseas from Australia and it costs me right around $50/month (cheaper than buying it in the states).

Haha.. yeah.. I wouldn't count on it.

Insurance does not cover Propecia. I buy mine overseas from Australia and it costs me right around $50/month (cheaper than buying it in the states).

No side effects?

Ok so to make all of ya'll "balding" folks feel better. I started going noticable bald my freshman year in high school. When I consulted the Hair Club for men, they said I was one of the youngest consults they'd ever had (and yes I have the plaque they gave me to prove it). So fast forward 16 years, now the forest above is completely decimated..............I'm sure school will manifest itself in some way on my person. What will it take away from me???? If I lose my eyebrows I'm gonna be pissed!

I was thinning on top pretty bad anyway at the age of 26, but the old Stanford V chemo regimen finished the job.

It has made life much better...cause I never have to worry about how my hair looks, and just clip it back under control every 2 weeks.

Ok so to make all of ya'll "balding" folks feel better. I started going noticable bald my freshman year in high school. When I consulted the Hair Club for men, they said I was one of the youngest consults they'd ever had (and yes I have the plaque they gave me to prove it). So fast forward 16 years, now the forest above is completely decimated..............I'm sure school will manifest itself in some way on my person. What will it take away from me???? If I lose my eyebrows I'm gonna be pissed!

Seneca, if that is you in the picture then you definitely look like Lex, from Lex and Terry. In fact, go to http://www.lexandterry.com/ and check out the banner picture.... Some dudes can work the bald thing. You usually have to be pretty big or intimidating in some fashion it seems. It never works as well with a short little fat guy with glasses...then it is just sad.

1) Get a Kangol hat. Very stylish.

2) Pump some iron. It'll make you feel better.

Has anyone experienced any of the side effects that propecia warns about?

Seneca, if that is you in the picture then you definitely look like Lex, from Lex and Terry. In fact, go to http://www.lexandterry.com/ and check out the banner picture.... Some dudes can work the bald thing. You usually have to be pretty big or intimidating in some fashion it seems. It never works as well with a short little fat guy with glasses...then it is just sad.

Believe it or not, you're not the first person to make that comparison. So are you saying I'm one of those who work the bald thing, or am I the short fat guy with glasses? <<be kind>> :laugh:

Go to a derm and ask them about Propecia (1mg finasteride). They'll probably give you like a 3 month Rx to try out, or you can just ask them about Proscar (5mg finasteride) which is used to treat BPH also. If they are a good derm they will write you a script for Proscar (which has generics available) and you can use a pill cutter to cut it into 1/5ths. Price should be about 10$ a month or so.

I noticed hair thinning and loss over 3 years ago during 2nd year of medical school. I used propecia for 6 months but its really expensive. It usually costs about $50-$70 a month and insurance doesn't cover it. I was not ready to trust medicine from Canada or Australia. I mean I am sure the medicine there is legit but how can you trust the company. the way around spending so much money is get a prescription for Proscar from your doctor with no diagnosis on the script. Just have the doctor write " use as directed". The insurance company will not give you the diagnosis of BPH as far as I have been told. I used proscar even though I can use the generic which is even cheaper. You get 30 pills for 25-30 bucks. Get a pill cutter and cut the pill into 4 pieces. It is virtually impossible to cut it into 5 pieces. Besides when you cut the pieces into four you loss a little bit of the medicine. So it is pretty close to 1mg. My yearly expense 91 bucks compared to $780 i would have to spend on propecia. By the way the generic for propecia is coming out in 2013. So far i have not experienced any side effects and the medicine is definetly working and my family and friends have noticed. Good luck.

Believe it or not, you're not the first person to make that comparison. So are you saying I'm one of those who work the bald thing, or am I the short fat guy with glasses? <<be kind>> :laugh:

You seem like the bouncer angry type. I can't gauge height by the photo, so if you're 4 feet tall then I change my statement.

Google "liquid finasteride". You will find a few vendors offering a liquid suspension version.

Last spring I started shedding so I picked up some liquid finasteride (propecia) online. It stopped the hair loss in it's tracks and I've been using it since. The kind I use is $44.50 for a 30 mL bottle @ 5 mg/mL. At 1 mg/day, this will last you 5 months or $8.90 per month. This is well worth it to me.

As far as side effects, I've experienced virtually none. I've read that increasing the dose has been shown to promote regrowth (2.5 mg/day I believe?). At that dose I experienced a big drop in libido so I went back to 1 mg/day.

After using for 1 year now, hair loss is no longer an issue. I can't be sure but it looks to me like I've regrown a considerable amount.

Well, I haven't lost any hair this first year...but I think I developed an ulcer, my right psoas has been killing me for weeks, and I'm pretty sure I formed a right beating nystagmus.

I hit 30 in Oct and soon thereafter started noticing increased hair loss. I've been using Propecia 1mg but taking one pill every OTHER day. I've been doing this for the past 3 months and have noticed a reduction in hair loss. I wonder if this every other day thing will continue to work. We'll see...

I never thought of using Proscar 5mg and chopping up the pills. Clever idea guys!

I hit 30 in Oct and soon thereafter started noticing increased hair loss. I've been using Propecia 1mg but taking one pill every OTHER day. I've been doing this for the past 3 months and have noticed a reduction in hair loss. I wonder if this every other day thing will continue to work. We'll see...

I never thought of using Proscar 5mg and chopping up the pills. Clever idea guys!

Every other day should be sufficient. There is a study that shows that even .25mg is just about efficient as 1mg dose.

I have been using Propecia for some time now and I have not experienced many side effects. I did experience decreased sexual drive for the first month but after that I was fine.

Interesting to learn about this med in a liquid suspension -- might have to check it out.

I noticed hair thinning and loss over 3 years ago during 2nd year of medical school. I used propecia for 6 months but its really expensive. It usually costs about $50-$70 a month and insurance doesn't cover it. I was not ready to trust medicine from Canada or Australia. I mean I am sure the medicine there is legit but how can you trust the company. the way around spending so much money is get a prescription for Proscar from your doctor with no diagnosis on the script. Just have the doctor write " use as directed". The insurance company will not give you the diagnosis of BPH as far as I have been told. I used proscar even though I can use the generic which is even cheaper. You get 30 pills for 25-30 bucks. Get a pill cutter and cut the pill into 4 pieces. It is virtually impossible to cut it into 5 pieces. Besides when you cut the pieces into four you loss a little bit of the medicine. So it is pretty close to 1mg. My yearly expense 91 bucks compared to $780 i would have to spend on propecia. By the way the generic for propecia is coming out in 2013. So far i have not experienced any side effects and the medicine is definetly working and my family and friends have noticed. Good luck.

is propecia and proscar the same thing, in terms of the ingred i guess, just different quantities? I should look into this... I just finished up my MS1 year and am def. noticing some thinning of the hair in the front, and it just falls out alot. when i shampoo, or dont. I can just kinda pluck some out.
when you say its definitely working, what do you mean? less hair falling out, more coming back in, or is it thickening? :thumbup:

Does anyone know/experienced any sterility since using propecia? I know that pregnant women should not handle broken pills due to a negative side effect in male offspring but does this effect men also (i.e. can I still have kids while on propecia)?