Hair Loss

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't had any kids, but not really trying either...

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know/experienced any sterility since using propecia? I know that pregnant women should not handle broken pills due to a negative side effect in male offspring but does this effect men also (i.e. can I still have kids while on propecia)?
finasteride is a steroid (i.e., lipid-soluble... can be absorbed through the skin) that inhibits 5-alpha-reductase. Use your super-medical-student powers to deduce why a pregnant woman should not handle it.

Super powers that be already understood what the finer workings of a lipid soluble compund would have if it were to inhibit 5-alpha reductase and disturb secondary sex characteristics in a developing fetus. However, there have been studies to suggest that there are trace amounts of finasteride retained in male semen, thus prompting me to ask the question again: has anyone had kids while on propecia and if so did they come out with a horn in the middle of their forehead?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's called STRESS.

It's called genetics. When did your mom's dad lose his hair?

actually it's probably telogen effluvium- basically stress causes your hair to go into the resting/shedding phase.

5alpha reductase inhibitors arent going to help. Getting your stress under control might. (not medical advice)

actually it's probably telogen effluvium- basically stress causes your hair to go into the resting/shedding phase.

Is there any conclusive scientific evidence to show that stress actually causes hair loss?

Telogen effluvium is a lot rarer than people would like to believe. Chances are the cause of your hairloss is genetic.

hair loss? i would check a FTA-ABS, RPR and a VDRL...

Telogen effluvium is a lot rarer than people would like to believe. Chances are the cause of your hairloss is genetic.

True but the OP basically said it wasnt genetic...

to the above poster, thank you. apparently my humor was lost...

Earlier in the thread some people recommended getting Proscar at around $30 as it is cheaper than Propecia (~$75).

I just filled my Rx today for GENERIC finasteride (Proscar) 5mg for > $100 at Giant pharmacy!! Yes I'm going to break the pills into 1/4's but still.

Where are you guys getting Proscar for so cheap??? (In the U.S)

As I previously posted, google "liquid finasteride". I see 3 vendors on the first page of search results.

There is an OMM procedure to fix hair loss. We just learned it and one to cure cancer.

By the way everyone. It is an autosomal trait that is sex influenced. Autosomal dominant in men recessive in females.
You guys better hit those genetics books

No Bills
Class 2011
5th grade spelling bee 2nd runner up

By the way everyone. It is an autosomal trait that is sex influenced. Autosomal dominant in men recessive in females.
You guys better hit those genetics books

A bunch of people have already stated this earlier in the thread.

People were talking earlier about mitochondrial I had never heard of that. I had learned it was an X-Linked trait, thus the whole look at your mother's father idea. This was years ago though, I realize that the idea of it being a polygenetic trait is what is accepted now.

Last edited:
Okay, so this thread has convinced me to start propecia prophylaxis. I don't see myself having serious hair loss issues at this point, but...

- My hair line isn't bad, but it isn't what it was when I was 20 (I'm 30)
- I'm not going to just sit around and wait for it to get bad before I do something about it
- I've shaved my head before, and I look ridiculous. So if I were to start going bald, I would be in trouble. Some people can pull it off beautifully. I do not believe that I am one of those people.

So I guess I'll order it from one of these canadian places or something.

Also, if I start using propecia for prophylaxis, will it also protect me against BPH in the future?

Earlier in the thread some people recommended getting Proscar at around $30 as it is cheaper than Propecia (~$75).

I just filled my Rx today for GENERIC finasteride (Proscar) 5mg for > $100 at Giant pharmacy!! Yes I'm going to break the pills into 1/4's but still.

Where are you guys getting Proscar for so cheap??? (In the U.S)

I get my procar overseas when I visit the motherland...once a year usually. $10 for 20 5mg pills --> 100 day supply. If you're going to a foreign country anytime soon, just stock up!

Be careful w/ international pharmacies because many of them do not have any proper governmental regulations on manufacturing the pill. That is, there maybe more corn starch and other fillers rather than the drug itself indicated on the label.

I would think that would be the case anyway, considering a pill containing 1mg of active ingredient without any fillers/excipients would be pretty darn tiny

Okay, so this thread has convinced me to start propecia prophylaxis. I don't see myself having serious hair loss issues at this point, but...

- My hair line isn't bad, but it isn't what it was when I was 20 (I'm 30)
- I'm not going to just sit around and wait for it to get bad before I do something about it
- I've shaved my head before, and I look ridiculous. So if I were to start going bald, I would be in trouble. Some people can pull it off beautifully. I do not believe that I am one of those people.

So I guess I'll order it from one of these canadian places or something.

Every guy's hairline changes from what it is in his teens/early twenties and what he has in his thirties-forties. Even guys with thick heads of hair at 70 yo have a different hairline than what was there in youth... that frontal peak disappears and the hairline is higher in the front.

And I'm not sure that taking finasteride as a prophylactic is a good idea... there are still risks of side effects, and those risks are not worth it if you don't actually have hair loss. That being said, if and when you notice your hair actually thinning where it shouldn't, load up!