Half marathon advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GraMaire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am running my first tomorrow!

Panic is setting in a bit. I am a little worried about the heat. The distance is only mildly intimidating. The most I have run with my training program is ten miles.

Any advice appreciated!

-sorry if this is the wrong place...

Members don't see this ad.

Chill out. It will go by really fast and be super easy compared to a 10 mile training run. Don't worry if you can't sleep, just rest and the adrenaline will more than get you through.

I am running my first tomorrow!

Panic is setting in a bit. I am a little worried about the heat. The distance is only mildly intimidating. The most I have run with my training program is ten miles.

Any advice appreciated!

-sorry if this is the wrong place...

they really arent that bad. Just do not let your adrenaline get you running way above your pace at the beginning.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, thanks!

Ya last week I went running for the first time in my new city, and was running about 2 minutes faster per mile and overexerted myself in the heat. I'm going to stick with my pace group :)

Sticking with you pace group is best. It's hard because with all that adrenaline you feel so great at the beginning...but going too fast catches up with you at the end and it's hard when the pace group you were ahead of for so long passes you!

& the best part is you can enjoy a great meal that night without worrying at all about how many calories it is because you just burned 1000 :)

I didnt get the time I wanted but I listened to my body to avoid injury.

Thanks for all the advice it def helped!

they really arent that bad. Just do not let your adrenaline get you running way above your pace at the beginning.

Best advice. You'll go way faster than you should initially if you're not intentionally trying to slow yourself down.

(sent from my phone)

Best advice. You'll go way faster than you should initially if you're not intentionally trying to slow yourself down.

(sent from my phone)

Truth haha

I have another one in just over six weeks (yea. Im a little crazy). So now Im working out how to maximally recover to start training again especially since I had mild heat exhaustion Sunday.

& the best part is you can enjoy a great meal that night without worrying at all about how many calories it is because you just burned 1000 :)

:thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I510 using SDN Mobile

(sent from my phone)

But it's also easier to do that and get away with it in a half than a full. In a full, you'll pay around mile 20. I enjoy halves because you can run a lot more recklessly.

Congrats on finishing OP and good luck with the future training!

Thanks-- I am definitely excited to train for my next one and PR.