10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/11/17/primary.care.doctors.study/index.html
CNN said:
Nearly half the respondents in a survey of U.S. primary care physicians said that they would seriously consider getting out of the medical business within the next three years if they had an alternative.

I am happier every day that I am going in to dentistry. My greatest fear, however, is that the fiasco of managed care will eventually take over our field.

RealDeal

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
The big picture is that there is shortage of primary care doctors. Which means that international medical graduates and medical graduates from the Caribbeans have a great chances of practicing medicine in the U.S. in primary care. Good news for them.

It would be interesting if they did a similar study for other heath care professions such as dentists, anesthesiologist tech, physician assistants etc.

About the Ads

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Such surveys make for interesting discussions by pointing to MD's being unhappy. However, it's probably much ado about nothing since we are not seeing them change careers in any significant numbers, if any.

Last edited:

bipolardoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
why do people have to make childish remarks to justify that they picked or were forced into one field and make them feel better by looking up facts like this to make them feel good about the fact that they maybe couldnt't get into med school themselves. Med and Dent are two different fields, nothing to compare or compete with or try to justify to yourself and others emotionally whey your decision was best because bla bla, just presents your own INSECURITY...

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
why do people have to make childish remarks to justify that they picked or were forced into one field and make them feel better by looking up facts like this to make them feel good about the fact that they maybe couldnt't get into med school themselves. Med and Dent are two different fields, nothing to compare or compete with or try to justify to yourself and others emotionally whey your decision was best because bla bla, just presents your own INSECURITY...

It is called staying in tune with the times.

bjhath

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I have no insecurities with respect to choosing dentistry and did not post this article to justify my career choice.

The implications to dentistry associated with this study are as follows:

If 50% of physicians are unhappy with their careers, primarily because "there's too much red tape generated from insurance companies and government agencies," than why won't the same thing happen to dentistry if we let it become primarily a managed care system?

That is why I posted the article. Read the second sentence of my original post.

bipolardoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I have no insecurities with respect to choosing dentistry and did not post this article to justify my career choice.

The implications to dentistry associated with this study are as follows:

If 50% of physicians are unhappy with their careers, primarily because "there's too much red tape generated from insurance companies and government agencies," than why won't the same thing happen to dentistry if we let it become primarily a managed care system?

That is why I posted the article. Read the second sentence of my original post.
Dentistry is quite different then medicine, in most cases alot of it is elective and out of pocket, their will always be a cosmetic elective part to dentistry that even if dentistry became socialized it will just basically cover mostly preventative care, you will still make the big bucks where everyone is making them now, cosmetics...

AlwaysImproving

10+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2008
FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Such surveys make for interesting discussions by pointing to MD's being unhappy. However, it's probably much ado about nothing since we are not seeing them change careers in any significant numbers, if any.

Look at what the dean from my honors college just wrote us:

Medical-School Applications Dip for the First Time in 6 Years. After five years of application increases, the number of students applying to the nation’s medical schools slipped 3 percent this year, according to a report released on Tuesday by the Association of American Medical Colleges. The drop came at a time when medical schools were being urged to accept more students to stave off a projected shortage of physicians.

I read that and thought of this thread :D What a coincidence! Hence, I felt like I had to post it here...

Mazmel

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2008
NJ
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student

Medical-School Applications Dip for the First Time in 6 Years. After five years of application increases, the number of students applying to the nation’s medical schools slipped 3 percent this year, according to a report released on Tuesday by the Association of American Medical Colleges. The drop came at a time when medical schools were being urged to accept more students to stave off a projected shortage of physicians.

I read that and thought of this thread :D What a coincidence! Hence, I felt like I had to post it here...

Wow..... I wonder what the future will be like. I am kinda scared of the next 4 years.

Aceofspades

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student

You can expect to see a lot more pre-meds moving over to dentistry... both voluntarily and involuntarily(pre-med rejects).

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist

Let's hope you saved your receipt for the party favors you bought. The Dean in question was headed in the right direction but he slightly misquoted the numbers. The drop in applicants from 2007 to 2008 was from 42,315 to 42,231; the decrease of 84 applicants is 0.2%. The 3% referred to a decrease in the number of first time applicants rather than total numbers. A similar decrease of 265 applicants (from 11365 to 11100) was seen in the ds applicant pool for the same period. Such a drop is not likely to be the subject on the CNN Breaking News. Applications statistics typically have peaks and valleys. The number of applicants for 2008 is still well above the low of 33,625 for 2002, but shy of the 43,016 peak seen in 1997. The doomsday scenario is not likely to kick in until we approach the critical mass where the number of applicants is short of the number of slots available for matriculants. Moreover, a decrease in the number of applicants does not translate into a increase in the number of physicians dropping out of medicine because they are unhappy with the status quo.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/2008summary2.htm
http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/pressrel/2008/081021.htm

Last edited:

DPMstudent

10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student

Again, its PCPs, not physicians

DiNoZeRo2o9

10+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2008
Stockton, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student

This coming from a pre-health guy lolz.

Anyhow, me personally I never even considered medical, it was dentistry all the way. But articles like this give me a good laugh. Not everyone who pursues dentistry is a med school reject bipolardoc....by the way are you bipolar :confused:.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.