--Hall of Fame-- for grading curves!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ONYX4000GT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets see them! An exam grade with a crazy curve to it.. We've all had them.

-Im in the middle of typing a paper, and needed a break... Figured I start this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

so far the biggest curve has been in my organic chemsitry 2 class. I had an exam a couple of weeks ago where the average (a B-) turned out to be a 54%. I got a 70% which was a solid A.

In one of my physics classes an A range grade was a 50% on the midterm, 50% on homework, 50% on the final; a B range grade was a 30 - 49% on the midterm, 30-49% on homework, 30-49% on the final; a C was anything lower.

Over half the class got C's.

Members don't see this ad :)
i personally didn't take this class but, 40above A 30-40% B, can't get lower than a C. LOL stupid computational complexity course the course should be trolled

In Orgo II, on our last test, the average was a 35 (yes out of 100) curved to a B-!!! I will never ever EVER forget that test...:mad:

I once got like a 34% on a calc 3d test that I didn't study for at all.

Unforunately, even though the test was curved, I got an F!

lol...

I once got like a 34% on a calc 3d test that I didn't study for at all.

Unforunately, even though the test was curved, I got an F!

lol...

lol that sucks for you :laugh:
I had a 33% on a calc II test once and that was still a B.

Also not long ago, one of my chem exam was curved so low a 29% was a C.

My friend once got a 63 on a test (some upper level engineering course) and he was the highest grade in the class. The teacher then said everyone could take home their test and redo it and he got pissed lol.

My friend once got a 63 on a test (some upper level engineering course) and he was the highest grade in the class. The teacher then said everyone could take home their test and redo it and he got pissed lol.

funny you mention this, most of the grad class i took highest grade is below 60.

1st test in "physics II for engineers" in college, double digits was passing :)

how about a 120/125 and only getting a b+ because of the curve

Members don't see this ad :)
wow what schools are these at?

Lol these curves really depend on the professors rather than the schools. If everyone is getting around 25% in their exams, they have no choice but to curve or fail 80% of the class

I got a 27 on my orgo final and got a B...most ridiculous class I've ever taken.

The average for all of my classes genetics tests was 22!!! To get a b you had to get a 25 average

In Orgo II, on our last test, the average was a 35 (yes out of 100) curved to a B-!!! I will never ever EVER forget that test...:mad:

I had a friend who scored a 24/100 on an Ochem midterm. He immediately dropped the class thinking he failed. He later learned that the average for that midterm was a 24. :shrug:

bioengineering midterm had an average of 45, standard deviation of about 10. highest grade in the 160 person class was a 69.

Genetics at Cornell: Professor took his own midterm and scored a 80.

Bio exam, average was a 33, correlated to a C.

p-chem has crazy curves. I'm not sure what our curve is looking like yet, but we are taking an ACS Thermo. Exam and apparently if you can get like 20 questions right we're guaranteed a good grade in the class. I'll know more on this on Thursday!

Transport Phenomenon had averages around 35 or so and 35+ was an A everything else above a 10 was a B, pretty nice curve.

In Ochem I, for the final grade I was at like a 49%. That was good enough for a C+.

First Genetics and Mol Bio exam last year:

Bimodal distribution "averages" at 30 and 50 with one guy getting a 2 and the high score 100 (we wanted to kill that kid).

Then there was the orgo lab exam:

Avg ~50 and it was open notes.
The prof sent out an email after that one saying how he thought we didn't study enough-- the guy's crazy.

Finally-- Highschool Higher level IB math (REDICULOUS) after taking that class, i'm still ahead of most of my friends who are math majors (if only I could remember any of it).

Junior year, we had an exam and I got the highest grade: a 15.5%
luckily for the whole HS thing, the teacher liked me=I did well :)

I had a stats exam once at military school where we all did really great-we all had like 98's and 99's and 97's. I got a 97 and that was a C-!

Damn you Col. Fester....stupid statistics...this guy just hated cadets and hated teaching. His name really wasn't Fester but that's what we called him. He was such a jerk that if you asked him a question like "excuse me sir, what does that say on the blackboard?" (like if you didn't understand his handwriting) he would yell "SHUT UP! NO TALKING! GO READ THE TEXTBOOK!" (then why bother to call on someone when they raise their hand?)

Genetics final last year: avg was 41%. I got about 45% and got an A- in the classs. The teacher really stuck it to us on the final b/c on both midterms the average was about 70%.