Halp!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deadpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just graduated from undergrad with major in kinesiology, 3/4 med school pre-reqs with B-/C. Took two classes this semester as part of an informal post bac. I got an A in Ochem, and have grading options open for Genetics.

The professor is horrible, the book is horrible, and had one midterm very late in the course, so it was too late to drop the course. First midterm was a C-. The final will be worth 55%. She has said she'll curve.

Question: Should I study my ass off, hope for the best and take this course with a letter grade? Should I choose the pass/fail option to save my gpa or just take it as no credit.

I have to make this decision by 5 pm tomorrow evening.

Halp.

Members don't see this ad.

study your ass off! 55% is a good chance to save your grade.

Either you think you can do it or you think you can't. Either way, you are probably right.

Online forums really are not the place to make big decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not asking the forum to make the decision for me. Just asking for advice.

I'm not asking the forum to make the decision for me. Just asking for advice.

Don't blame others for a low grade, especially if 3/4 of your pre reqs are B-/C's.

As for your class right now, I wouldn't choose pass/fail. I'd study my ass off and use the high mark to repair my GPA.

When did I blame someone? I take full responsibility for my grades and how they turned out.

We got off on the wrong foot.

I'd study and try to fix it, because it would be hard for me to justify wasting the time I had already put in to the class.

But another disclaimer, I don't have nearly the information to really tell you what I would do.

I mean, how well do you think you can do? Are their old tests or a way you could judge your knowledge? How much does the teacher intend on curving? How is the rest of the class doing? How has the class average and curve ended up in the past years? Etc...

When did I blame someone? I take full responsibility for my grades and how they turned out.

I was referring to you calling your professor and book terrible.
Sorry if I misunderstood you...

Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts. The professor is somewhat unpredictable and doesn't communicate well with the class. Majority of the class is in the same position. She has said she will curve, but there's no telling how generously. I don't have access to her old exams, or information about her from former students.

And how do you feel about your knowledge of the subject? Do you feel like you will do better than last time? Have you worked harder or learned something about her exam format?

The professor is knowledgeable about the subject but her lecture is difficult to follow (and its not just me). She's been using the same notes for 10 years, has them memorized, and provides no written material. The book does not follow her lecture either. My classmates are having to use Wikipedia to get through the class. So yes, she's a not so great professor.

Lol
1) I have no idea what she's saying
2) I'm not exactly positive of what I need to study
3) I don't know where to study it

Anyway, I have a strategy and will give the final my best. If I take the letter grade, it will be a risk, but if I choose pass/fail or no credit I'm assuming it will raise a red flag with admissions because I only had 2 classes? Right? Or if I unfortunately get a C, will that raise a red flag anyway? Especially when Ochem was an A.

HEY I'MA HALP YOU.

Give me your address so I can send you a shotgun. You can then use aforementioned shotgun to end your miserable life.

I love halping people. That's why I wanna be a doctor.

cringeworthy

Lol
1) I have no idea what she's saying
2) I'm not exactly positive of what I need to study
3) I don't know where to study it

Anyway, I have a strategy and will give the final my best. If I take the letter grade, it will be a risk, but if I choose pass/fail or no credit I'm assuming it will raise a red flag with admissions because I only had 2 classes? Right? Or if I unfortunately get a C, will that raise a red flag anyway? Especially when Ochem was an A.

Be strong, work your butt off to get an actual grade. Just do your best.

ColeOnTheRolll:

If the shotgun you speak of is available to you right now, perhaps you should use it on yourself. Doesn't look like you're doing anything important with your time, maybe its a sign that you should end your own miserable life?

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate it. Now, returning to full study mode. Have a good night :)

ColeOnTheRolll:

If the shotgun you speak of is available to you right now, perhaps you should use it on yourself. Doesn't look like you're doing anything important with your time, maybe its a sign that you should end your own miserable life?

Don't lower yourself to that.

I'm sure the world is thrilled to have another doctor like you then. But gotta say , its pretty pathetic that you need an online profile to get some attention. Really though, no one cares, sorry.

Stop feeding the troll.

Either you think you can do it or you think you can't. Either way, you are probably right.

Online forums really are not the place to make big decisions.

I like this