Hamsandwich and others, please tell me more

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BellKicker

Twisted Miler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I need to hear some FP success stories for a change. I know Hamsandwich has some. I'm sure others have theirs too.

Also, I'll tell you my plans, and then you can tell me how realistic they are. Or, rather, where's the catch (cuz it seems too good to be true).

Ok, I'll do an unopposed FP residency, hopefully with a rural track (if I can wrestle a rural track position away from an American grad, of course). Then I'll move to a very rural area like northern Minnesota or, if I can persuade my wife and kids, out west to Wyoming, Utah or Montana.

I'll live in a small but growing town. There are only FPs in town, maybe 2 or 3 of us in a small group practice. I work 4 days a week making around 130 grand a year. I also coach the high school cross country team. I don't have a boss. My life is great.

Where's the catch? How is that not the perfect life? Is the plan unrealistic?

Members don't see this ad.

sounds reasonable, just cold ;)

and you shouldnt have a problem getting a US FP spot as an FMG.

onto another subject. now as you are in copenhagen, you may be able to tell me why people dont lock their bikes up, or really the question is, why no one steals them. (just a tip: you have to lock your bike up when you move here)

Oh for the sake of all that's holy and pure,

Where do people get that stuff about bikes here? There was this special on Copenhagen one year on "Good Morning America" where they painted this fairy tale picture of Copenhagen. One of their outrageous statements was that you could leave your bike unlocked and not get it stolen. I'm not sure it all stems from that show but I've heard the same question repeatedly.

Lemme tell you, I have had 3 bikes stolen in the last 5 years - all locked. Just 3 months ago "they" stole our brand new $800 bike trailer! (Good thing it was insured).

Unopposed residency in FP seems the way to go. It affords you all your rotations without having to compete with the residents who are specializing in OB, Peds, Surgery, IM, etc. Rural tracks will give you the independence earlier on, since these programs are truly dependent on their residents to provide the work force for the hospital, especially night coverage. I agree with the previous poster: you will not have to wrest a spot from an American grad. Frankly, from what I've seen, they just don't want it. All the best on your move,

Nu