hand-held digital voice recorder for dictations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LurkNoMore

Who knows if I'll Match?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is what i think of when i cant fall back asleep at night (hmm, hypomanic perhaps..?). Does anyone think it might be a good idea to buy a handheld digital voice recorder off the net to help with dictations (i think they have gotten really cheap). I envision being able to walk around and dictate anywhere without having to lug charts to a quiet area, or being tied to a phone. I could also see being able to dictate in various stages (i.e. dictate the H and P days in advance of the complete d/c summary, that is, if I am bored and have time before d/c). of course, in the end youd still have to dial in to the dictation service, but they you could just play back your dictation off the digital voice recorder, then delete the file (hell, its digital, there shouldnt be significant signal loss right??), this "wasted time" could be spent checking up on current patients, or, surfing the net, or with a beer (if you can dial in from home that is). I was wondering if those already in the mix think this is a good idea, and if it is, I'd like to pass it along, as I'll be an intern next year and would like to be in the good graces of all my upper levels :). comments please and ty!

Members don't see this ad.

This is in planning for residency? I don't think you'll need it - plus you definitely won't have time to "dictate twice," which is in essence what you're suggesting.

BTW, I don't know how the quality would be if you played back the recorder while holding it up to the phone handset...