Employment & Professional Networking Hand therapy and lack of flexibility?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prodigiousflame

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I really enjoyed volunteering in a hand therapy clinic and could see myself doing what the therapists were doing. I enjoyed the clientele and the modalities that were used. However one of the great things about working in OT is the flexibility which is seen mostly in per diem/prn positions in home health, snf, etc. It seems though that hand therapy does not allow for flexible scheduling--every time I check out a job listing for hand therapists it's basically 9-5 everyday with standard vacation days. Anyone know more about flexibility and the hand therapy setting? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean by flexible scheduling? I work per diem at a hand clinic, and I feel like my boss is pretty flexible with my schedule.

. It seems though that hand therapy does not allow for flexible scheduling--every time I check out a job listing for hand therapists it's basically 9-5 everyday with standard vacation days. Anyone know more about flexibility and the hand therapy setting? Thanks

I was just at a hand therapy clinic this morning and this topic came up. From what I understood, it seems like a less experienced therapist would probably be locked into a schedule (9-5 or some other standard hours). However, it seems like with more experience and time at a clinic you might be able to have more freedom with your schedule. I know one of the therapist that had worked at the clinic for 10 plus years had a schedule of 9-2. Others worked part time. Obviously this was just one clinic, so I don't know how it compares to others.