hand tremors

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by amelie, Nov 22, 2002.

1. amelie

amelie Member
    10+ Year Member

i'm a little scared...and i was wondering if any of you have any ideas about this...

i am 28 yo female and i have recently (past few months) developed slight tremors in my left hand. they are slight, but visible when i extend my fingers in the air. i recently realized that i've been compensating by keeping by hand clenched, which seems to make them less noticeable.

i think i already know the answer to this...but do i need to go see a neurologist or something? i don't have medical insurance...(just finished school and am applying to med school, rather ironically...)

could this be nothing? nervousness or too much caffeine?

any ideas you have are appreciated. thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Go see a doctor, it might be something serious.

4. silent_r

silent_r Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

amelie, i sent you an email

5. S.c. Cdc28p

S.c. Cdc28p Member
    7+ Year Member

You should see a doctor. It might be something benign like essential tremor or something more serious.

6. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Go see a doctor.

Is the tremor limited to your left hand only? If so, then that is more concerning.

I wish I could tell you that everything is alright, but you really do need to be evaluated by a physician.

7. Gilbert

Gilbert Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Several years ago the presence of hand tremors (present in both hands, but more severe in my right) prompted me to go to the physician. I was diagnosed via a simple TSH blood test with hyperthyroidism?.just a suggestion.

8. vyparik1

vyparik1 Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Amelie,

Does the tremor occur at REST? That is very important to know...Or, Does the tremor occur ONLY when you stretch your arms out? Have you had any problems with balance? Do you have rigidity in your muscles etc? If you have resting tremor, slowness, reduced facial expression or reduced blink rate, often loosing balance and falling forward, small handwriting or leaning forward when you walk then I would definately see a neurologist to rule out Parkinsons.

However, from what you describe it could be just an essential tremor. This usually occurs when you have your arms outstretched as you maintain your posture. It DISAPEARS at REST! Do you have any family members with tremors? Because there is usually a family history of it. Usually, this essential tremor gets worse when you are anxious and better at rest (disappearing at sleep). It is pretty common. 5% of people have this. There is treatment for this such as Propranolol (Beta-Blocker) or Mysoline if you can't take Propranolol. Believe it or not but ALCOHOL can also reduce or eliminate the tremor.

That's all I got for now..Hope this helps a little...

Vaibhav

9. amelie

amelie Member
    10+ Year Member

thank you all for the posts.

the tremors are isolated to my left hand...and they do occur at rest. i basically keep my hand clenched because i don't want other people to notice.

sigh.

one more question...

if i see a doctor immediately and s/he diagnoses me with ???, will that basically eliminate my chances of getting medical insurance?

because if so, i'm not going to see anyone till i am covered first.

thank you again...