handbooks for intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

efh4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a gift certificate for books, so I wanted to get a book for my intern year. Any opinions on which books are useful??

Members don't see this ad.

If you are going into internal medicine, EM, or surgery:

If you don't already have them, either Mosby's "The Care of the Medical Patient" or the Washington Manual version are great general medicine handbooks. Fits nicely in a whitecoat pocket as well. I am a surgery resident, and at the beginning of my intern year, I was treating things like hyperosmolar coma- ill-appearing, middle-aged man with a h/o kidney transplant presents to our acute care center, diabetic, BG=800, confused, urinating all over himself, and I was *completely* alone to deal with it. As a brand new intern, I wanted to pee all over myself as well. But I pulled out the Mosby's guide, made sure I considered all of the steps in the "Therapy" section, and by the time the attending came to round, the patient was alert, appropriately oriented, and his BG was under control. He did very well and went home a few days later.

For surgery, I personally like the Mont Reid handbook- you can read up on lots of things you see on the wards while you are actually on the ward- this also is pocket-sized.

Advanced surgical recall is great, as well as the Marino ICU book, though they are too big for the pocket so you have to stuff those puppies in a backpack.

And don't forget about the good ol' ACLS handbook.

good luck

Hi there,

I found "Pocket Doctor" pretty useful. It is all algorithms but almost everything is covered. It fits nicely in your pocket. Most of my medicine friends like the Ferri Manual. If you are doing Peds, you need The Harriet Lane Handbook. For General Surgery, everything you need is in the Surgical Intership Survival Guide. This was really handy when I had to do my first operative dictations.

njbmd:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
At the beginning of the year I used Intern On Call (i don't have it with me and i don't remember the author's name)...it has a red cover. That one was relatively useful during calls when I was initially petrified of ordering anything, including tylenol!

Honestly, by the end of your first month as an intern, you will be pretty confident and not needing any heavy books to carry in your white coat. I think Pocket Medicine (from Mass Gen, black cover) is probably the lightest and relatively most comprehensive (for its size) to buy. I hardly use it but it always sits in my pocket just in case. I also jot down notes in it if I hear something worth remembering at noon conference, etc. we also have easy access to Up To Date online everywhere.

I don't know about other interns, but do you guys really carry anything other than pharmacopia (sp?) or a palm?

Not sure if I helped you or confused you.

yeeehaw! dude, i learned my lesson quickly the first month...i had all that washington manual crap in my pockets and my coat was so disorganized...i was starting to have neck/shoulder pain from the heaviness of the coat itself. by the time i was in the micu last month, i didn't even wear a white coat. just slid the pharmacopia into my scrubs' pocket and had a steth around my neck. feels gooooooooooood not to need all that crap. i think it comes with time though...so don't fret 4th yr students.