handling app errors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siempre595

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so there's a couple mistakes on my application, one of which was kind of not important so I just sent a letter to each med school stating what was correct. The big problem ( I think), is that my degree is incorrectly listed. I'm working for an AB in Bio and English, but it's showing up on my app as BS and AB. I'm almost certain I didn't select it that way. What should I do about this? blame it on AMCAS? grrrrr

Members don't see this ad.

I found a few typos (of my own doing) in my AMCAS application. They were too minor to warrant a letter to my schools (still got past a few screens and got an interview, despite blatant mispelled words). I recently spelled the name of one of my activities wrong (Word spell check changed it as I typed it since I had my auto-correct function on), so I wrote a letter with the corrections and apologized for the error. I don't think it's that big of a deal...unlike i-banking / consulting where you get rejected for any little error given the volume of applications.

It is annoying though when it's not even your fault!

Good luck!

be prepared to defend yourself though, there was a minor typo in a date about an activity, and the interviewer at my state school called me on it.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Lancer_VII
I found a few typos (of my own doing) in my AMCAS application. They were too minor to warrant a letter to my schools (still got past a few screens and got an interview, despite blatant mispelled words). I recently spelled the name of one of my activities wrong (Word spell check changed it as I typed it since I had my auto-correct function on), so I wrote a letter with the corrections and apologized for the error. I don't think it's that big of a deal...unlike i-banking / consulting where you get rejected for any little error given the volume of applications.

It is annoying though when it's not even your fault!

Good luck!

what's i-banking/consulting?

Originally posted by siempre595
what's i-banking/consulting?

Investment banking and consulting? You've never heard of these jobs?

yea, i know the literal translation, didn't really see the connection to application errors. sorry, i'm no investment banker or consulting agent, so i have no idea how the jobs work or what gets you axed from them.

Originally posted by siempre595
yea, i know the literal translation, didn't really see the connection to application errors. sorry, i'm no investment banker or consulting agent, so i have no idea how the jobs work or what gets you axed from them.

Oh...basically, the application process first screening is on cover letter and resume (and you have to write a solid cover letter--writing a generic cover letter for every company is a way to failure). If you get an interview (somewhat difficult in this economy), then they want to know that you're a good fit for the company, so it can be somewhat superficial.

For i-banking, you don't need to be all that intelligent, because they train you. They tend to like football players/frat boys a lot, and also WASPy sorts of folks (this is from my roommate who is currently going through the on-campus interview process).

For consulting, they give you these nice case interviews, where they give you a case and you have to analyze it (as you would do in the job, only more superficial). They want to know that you're intelligent and that you can think.

As an example, Morgan Stanley started with 130 applicants, cut to 26 for first round interviews, 14 for 2nd round, and 8 for 3rd round. So it's pretty cutthroat. Three years ago, all 8 might have gotten a job, but in this economy, we'll see. It's supposedly the worst since the Great Depression (quoted by the Morgan Stanley people--even worse than the crash of October 1987).

Sounds like great fun! I'll stick with dealing with correctly spelling/completing an AMCAS app, which has proved to be difficult enough as is.
Thanks for the interesting info though, never hurts to learn something new....i think.