handling BOTH bench research and clinical research?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My bench research project is drawing to a close.. worked on it through summer and also the academic year, unpaid but getting published as a co-author. I'm not sure where to go next.

Option 1. should I ask the PI if I could participate in another bench research project
Option 2. Or should I go try out clinical research?
Option 3. Or should I try to do both?

I quite liked bench research, and wouldnt mind doing another one. But I would also like to try out what clinical research is like. (actually it'll more likely be an epidemiological study.) What are people's opinions on doing both simultaneously? I heard clinical research is a lot to do with statistics and literature database.. so I should be possible to do it on my own time at my own pace, no? I am also being realistic and judging my chances of getting publications out of the clinical research. (pretty sure I won't land another bench publication for a while..) Please give your comments.

Regardless of whatever I choose, I will probably carry out another bench research project next summer at the same lab I am in now. So maybe a bit of diversity now? lol

Members don't see this ad.

If you stick with the same PI, you are more likely to be granted additional autonomy, now that you are trusted, and possibly might even be able to design your own project, write for funding grants, etc. which would give you a subtantive experience of more value if you aim to apply to the research giants for med school. You'd also get a stronger LOR in the process.

If you start with clinical research, you are far more likely to be following someone else's protocol and it would take longer yet before you'd be given autonomy, if ever, in the time you would be involved. Still, it would be an experience that would broaden your experience and might be more interesting to you.

We've seen other SDNers engaging in both types of research at the same time, so it can be done. Your ultimate goals need to be taken into consideration before you decide.

Oops, I just noticed that you listed your status as a current med student, in which case you probably should have posted in the Allopathic Med Forum rather than here in Pre-Med Allo. But the same considerations would apply to someone planning to apply to residency programs eventually.

woops, sorry :( wrong forum. but thanks for the advice!