Handling interview invites (potential scheduling conflict)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychra22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an invite, via email from the PI, to attend an interview weekend for a doctoral program. This is good news, but I am concerned because this is the first school I've heard from about interviews, and also happens to be the school I would be least likely to attend if offered admission (out of ten applications). I am anticipating possible interview date conflicts, but it seems like I might not hear from the rest of the programs until much later this month, or January. How should I handle this? Thought I wouldn't have to deal with this dilemma this early, without having a better idea of other invitations ... but I do need to respond to the PI's email. Would totally suck to agree to attend the interview, and then have to email her in a month and say I can't make it anymore.

Members don't see this ad.

Would totally suck to agree to attend the interview, and then have to email her in a month and say I can't make it anymore.

Why? If you get another interview at a school you'd rather go to at the same time as this one, you're still going to have to make this choice. You can always accept now and then say you're not coming if something better comes along.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, you could email someone at some of your top choices or check Grad Cafe to see when they might have their interviews based on when they had them for the last cycle. Then, you could figure out how to leave scheduling gaps open for your other choices while still taking advantage of this interview invitation you have already received.

Regardless, remember, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just accept the ones you get when you get them, and reschedule interviews you get later. Schools know that competitive applicants are likely to have conflicts.

Reactions: 2 users
What would be the best way about going to reschedule other interviews? I've just run into a scheduling conflict (accepted 1, offered another interview on the same day) and I'm unsure how to go about approaching this. Does anyone have any advice?

What would be the best way about going to reschedule other interviews? I've just run into a scheduling conflict (accepted 1, offered another interview on the same day) and I'm unsure how to go about approaching this. Does anyone have any advice?

Does the original interview site offer alternate days?

They get the game.

See if you can speak to the administrative support to re-schedule.

If either interview offer mentions alternate days, then I'd talk to them first. Otherwise, I'd try and reschedule the most recent offer.

Neither mention alternative dates in their emails, unfortunately. I'll reach out to the second offer like you all suggested and see what they can do with regards to scheduling. I'd be a little nervous rescheduling my first offer because it's my top choice school.

Thank you both! I appreciate the help!

Programs know that top applicants are likely to get multiple offers. That's why we try to get interview offers out early! You can simply tell the second offer that you are still very interested in the program but are unavailable on the scheduled interview day, and see how they suggest you proceed.

I have an interview with OhioGuidestone on January 8th. I am available on any other Friday in January. Can somebody switch with me?

Programs know that top applicants are likely to get multiple offers. That's why we try to get interview offers out early! You can simply tell the second offer that you are still very interested in the program but are unavailable on the scheduled interview day, and see how they suggest you proceed.

Thank you very much for the advice! I'll be sure to make sure they know that I'm still very interested in the program despite having a scheduling conflict. Fingers crossed it works out!