Handwritten Thank You Notes - How Messy is Too Messy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickenlittle84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working on thank you notes for an interview I had earlier this week. I have lovely stationary and was planning on handwriting them, but I forgot how ugly my cursive handwriting is!!! It is legible, but it looks a little chicken-scratchy and childlike. Should I handwrite it anyways, or should I just send an email?

Members don't see this ad.

write it. it seems more sincere. and theres no need to use cursive, just write like you usually do and it should be fine.

If it was me, email because of the professionalism. But then again handwriting does make it personal and seem like you actually cared to put an effort into it. Id say if you email, make sure to put something u remember from the interviewer, etc. so its more personal so that way you still look like you cared :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't matter. Thank you cards are sent out as a sign of gratitude. Be genuine and write the best you can. It won't keep you from being a doctor.

You could always type it, mail it, and sign it.

How'd you guys go about getting e-mail addresses and mailing addresses from your interviewers did you just ask them?

handwrite it. it makes it seem more genuine and sincere. i got a note last year from a director of admissions that was handwritten, and it took about a minute or two to finally figure out that it said "div0t17 - I look forward to meeting you on Nov. 17" but, it made me feel like they cared (even though they didn't). Take home message: no matter how poorly you write, as long as it is somewhat legible, it makes it seem much better.

Think about it this way: would it be better if you get an email/type written letter from the dean of admissions letting you know that there is no space in their class for you or would you feel better having a handwritten note about it?

Is your printing any better, because you just said cursive? You could print it.

My cursive still looks like I'm in 3rd grade when I first learned. For all of my thank you notes, I made sure I printed and wrote VERY slowly. I have chicken scratch writing, and people have asked me if I was going to be a doctor since I was in elementary school because of it.