Happiness and Grades.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student12x

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doing a survey here. Please state,

1) GPA of your latest sem/quarter

2) happiness of during that term( using: depressed, sad, ok, happy, very happy)

Also, I welcome any comments. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This can be a interesting thread. As for me, I had a 3.7 last semester and I was doing alright. Lazy/depressed sometimes but on the weekends it was fun if I wasn't reading over things.

1) 4.0-21 units of upper division biochem and bioengineering

2) worst 5 months of my life

Members don't see this ad :)
Last semester I had a 3.5 (and one audit) with three A's, one B, and a C.

I was very depressed, stressed, tired, worn out, and I got sick with mono.
I hope this semester will be much better...

4.0 from 21 credits.

very happy.

time management, people!

3.98/20 credits

Indifferent. Not much of a social life but gave up on caring (and made sure to drink devil's spring every thursday night).

3.90 sad i'm always sad when it comes to school and grades. my freinds make me happy but i don't have time for them.

6.0 credits (18+ hours a week) of intensive o-chem:

4.0 in both lab and lecture

Mood: Stressed out as heck, but overall okay. I wouldn't recommend it to other people unless they were equally motivated.

3.90 sad i'm always sad when it comes to school and grades. my freinds make me happy but i don't have time for them.

maybe thats a sign you should be doing something different.

i feel sorry for those that sacrifice EVERYTHING for an A. Live life. Have fun. Have sex. Ride a bike. Do SOMETHING besides studying.

College shouldnt be depressing. My god people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Grades- 3.9 (A+,A,A-)
VERY HAPPY

but then again I was in Greece for school... even went to a club at 2 am the day of finals haha god I think everyone should go abroad for school.

3.4 and miserable. All my classes took a huge amount of work, and I hadn't finished my secondaries by the time my classes started. All of my friends had graduated the previous May except for one girl and my roommate, and I didn't really ever have time for them.

I guess I should note that I wasn't unhappy because of the 3.4. I was actually pretty happy with that, given my time constraints.

3.8/ fairly happy, but mostly because it was one of the easiest science terms I've had in a while. I could enjoy some other things.

Nice thread idea.

1) Overloaded with hard classes and tried to have a life - 3.33, pretty happy.

2) Worked hard, gave up having a life, 4.0, pretty happy.

3) Wrote endless essays and letters about myself and medical schools ive never been to, worked on the side, not much of a life, not much happy.

3.75 with 20 credit hours of Biochemistry, research, upper level history, and teaching undergraduate General Chemistry lab. I would have to say I was very happy b/c I love hard classes and do a pretty good job of time management!:D

Somewhat on topic: do your grades after you submit AMCAS significantly affect your application? For example, if your GPA drops by a fair amount (due to non pre-req classes like English), will this significantly hurt your application? Also, does anyone know of schools that specifically ask for grade updates?

4.21... best semester i ever had (although a lot of hard work!) At times I was stressed out but overall very happy.

over a 4.0 with 3 A+'s and 1 A-, I was really happy cuz it was my first semester not taking a lab although it was my first semester teaching an O Chem I lab.

I was fairly miserable last fall though, but that was mostly due to a highly stressful P Chem lab. Avoid P Chem if at all possible.

Oh look another opportunity for people to gloat about their GPA. lol

says the person with the kick ass MDApps

1) 4.0
2) Happy, my happiness is directly related to my grades.

Last sem.: 15 units - 4.0 -I was happy. I enjoyed my classes.

This summer: 8 units - 4.0 - It wasn't too bad. Can't say I'm happy though.

Summer A: 3.0 Friggin' miserable.

Summer B: 3.9 Finally bit the bullet and started seeing a psychiatrist and taking an anti-depressant.

Fall: 6 classes. I'm hoping I do well. We'll see. :)

I was talking to a guy I know who like me is going from engineering -> med. We both had a good laugh about how we used to be happy with a GPA just above a 3.0. Now a 3.0 GPA is cause for cutting yourself.

4.0. liked my classes. pretty stressed and moderately depressed but it had nothing to do with school.

Last edited:
1) 4.0
2) started out happy enough; in the end I was irritated out of my mind that I was spending all of my day on physics problems (I was taking Phys I and Phys II at the same time). Glad that semester's over.

Paid little to no attention on any class except for Orgo. Ended up getting straight A's in every class except the stupid freshmen requirement English class on how great women are. She lost most of my assignments and only returned one paper graded. That class made me want to blow my brains out and is the reason I don't have a 4.0. :mad:

So... I was okay/depressed all semester being so far from home, then once I was home, pissed when I got my grades.

If you get depressed because of school, get off this forum now. Change your major. Med school is not for you. Seriously, it's not worth it. You will work 3X as hard in med school as you worked during your toughest semester of undergrad. If undergrad depresses you, don't go to med school.

Grade inflation is pretty evident here.

If you get depressed because of school, get off this forum now. Change your major. Med school is not for you. Seriously, it's not worth it. You will work 3X as hard in med school as you worked during your toughest semester of undergrad. If undergrad depresses you, don't go to med school.
My depression is chronic and has been with me since HS. So it's definitely not because of undergrad. I do agree with you though.

3.8/18 hours/happy for most of the semester, burnt out and stressed to death during midterms and finals

1)3.714
2)Happy for the most part, tried to keep a positive outlook, work out more, lift weights etc...:D

GPA 4.0
Extremely Happy- not because of grades though but because I was playing sports a lot each week, enjoying my job and volunteer work, and had been on treatment long enough for my newly diagnosed chronic disease that I finally started to have energy to do all that stuff!

4.0 and I had a blast this past semester despite it being my last and toughest semester. It's all about time management - I worked hard during the day (i.e. didn't sleep until 11 AM daily like all of my roommates) and during crunch times. I went out every Friday and Saturday...and most Thursdays too actually...didn't do much work on Fridays or Saturdays. Goes to show that great grades and a social life can mutually exist. Not to say that I didn't vent about my courseload once a while! I just don't think anyone should give up their personal happiness for their grades, even in med school...it's going to wear you down eventually.

I get pretty upset (by upset i mean angry, i'm a sore loser) if I dont have perfect grades in a semester as an undergrad, but that shouldn't affect me too much as a medical student. As long as i'm doing better than the average, i'll be happy. And I have no doubt that will happen.

Doing a survey here. Please state,

1) GPA of your latest sem/quarter

2) happiness of during that term( using: depressed, sad, ok, happy, very happy)

Also, I welcome any comments. Thanks.

1) 4.0
2) very happy

3.68, very happy

This past semester included the toughest courses and largest volume of work I have had in my UG career. There were times when I was stressed. However, I managed my time very wisely and good grades through out the entire semester kept me happy and motivated.

I get pretty upset (by upset i mean angry, i'm a sore loser) if I dont have perfect grades in a semester as an undergrad, but that shouldn't affect me too much as a medical student. As long as i'm doing better than the average, i'll be happy. And I have no doubt that will happen.
"Better than average" is a whole hell of a lot different in med school than it is in undergrad, just so ya know. ;)

my last semester of college was a 4.0 .. first 4.0 I ever received for a semester
so I was VERY HAPPY :D
except for the fact that I sacrificed a lot of MCAT studying for biochemistry... maybe not the smartest idea but if i hadn't then that grade would have been a disaster!