1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Happiness in med school- correlated with curriculum?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mdforme, Mar 16, 2004.

1. mdforme

mdforme Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What do you all think? Do you think that different curricula significantly affect one's happiness in med school? Which schools/curricula are known for student happiness?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. crazy250

crazy250 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i think curriculum has nothing to do with student happiness. It's got to do with how they're doing in med school. A lot people stress about grades in undergrad and it's going to be hard to all of a sudden stop worrying about this in med school, especially for younger med students coming straight out of undergrad.

4. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I think it has a TON to do with it. Check out this thread from the allo forum:
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105591

There is a difference in going to a school that has 20 hours a week of class with a test every 5 weeks and being graded pass/fail versus a school that is 32+ hours of school a week, tests every two weeks, and only the top 10% of the class will get honors in the class.

5. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am all about the 20 hours a week of class with a test every 5 weeks and being graded pass/fail. I really hope I will get into a school like this.

6. i think happiness is correlated with the expectations you put on yourself for doing well. if doing well is getting honors or being at the top of the class, then you'll be unhappy and stressed trying to have that happen all the time. if you just want to pass and use your spare time for more constructive and meaningful tasks, i don't think it will matter as much. if doing well involves going to every lecture, you'll get tired of 32 plus hours a week. if you don't care and just go to the lectures you want to go to, it will be fine.

do med schools post grades and means for each class/test?

7. meanderson

meanderson Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I wouldn't let the cirriculum the first two years play a large role in my decision. The first two years are the first two years. Sure, some schools are going to have different levels of clinical exposure and some schools are going to be more pbl based, but it looks like everyone is using the same review books and course outline guides.

I'd focus more on location, finances, reputation, etc.

8. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    The school I know with the reputation of having the unhappiest students is great in all these aspects. Unless you are advocating ignoring happyness, I'd say to focus on the happyness of the studnets ;).

9. Gee, which school is that? :confused:

:laugh: :laugh:

10. dsblaha

dsblaha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think schools with more PBL incorporated would lend itself to happier students because they will see more definitive applications of what they are learning in lecture. More of a chance to apply random knowledge. If the learning process includes discovery and integration rather than pure memorization I would find it more satisfying, as if all my hard work is paying off.

11. Trekkie963

Trekkie963 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I couldn't disagree more. Yes, you have to learn the same information during the first two years at pretty much any school you choose (hence they may use similar review books or whatever) but the matter in which it is presented to you can significantly affect the ease with which you learn it and just how happy you are with your first two years of medical school. I think finding a match between a school's curriculum and your own learning style is going to make you a happier medical student, and therefore a more successful one.

This doesn't mean any one school's curriculum is better than any other. Some people really like PBL, others don't. Some people value clinical exposure, others don't. Some people appreciate the freedom of pass/fail grading, others need the pressure of letter grades to push them to do well. These are all differences that I think should in fact weigh heavily in someone's decision about what school to attend.

12. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    id be so much happier with pbl based vs. traditional lecture...

13. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

I think grading system really matters a lot to me. Even a month ago I didn't think it would make such a big difference. I'm taking this one class and I'm doing horrible in it compared to my usual performance. It's not that I don't understand the material, but it's just that the test questions are too vague, yet the TA look for very specific answers. That screwed up a lot of people.

I just feel that in med school, I don't wanna be worrying about grades, cause sometimes they just depend on the professors' testing styles.

With that being said...P/F or H/P/F for me.

14. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    h/p/f for me please. anything more is essentially ABCF, anything less is pure pass fail.

ABCF = too much competition
    P/F = too little motivation

15. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

Drew's first two year's at UCLA, and UCLA's P/F...so I guess you're going to Case Western huh, Ohio boy? ;)

16. SoulRFlare

SoulRFlare Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

this is medical school by god, not romper room! you're not supposed to be happy! you're supposed to be miserable...you're supposed to suffer...and you're supposed to like it!
    now get down and give me 20! :smuggrin: