Happy Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheekster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been lucky enough to recently receive interview offers from Touro and Western U. I haven't scheduled them yet, though, because I'm concerned that getting accepted by either of these schools early on, while wonderful, would put me in somewhat of a bind. CCOM is my first choice, and I really want make sure that I am available for interview at Chicago if they are interested, but what if I am accepted to Touro or WesternU before I hear from CCOM? I certainly don't want to turn down an acceptance, especially from a school as highly regarded as WesternU. I've read that we have only two weeks to decide after acceptance, and I'm worried that I may not have heard from CCOM by the time that I need to decide about one of the others. I realize that I'm putting the cart WAY before the horse on this one, and I'm being very optimistic to even be worrying about this, but does anyone have any ideas? Is there a strategy to interview scheduling that I don't know about? Any help would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding was that you had two weeks to decide whether to send in a deposit (usually around $100) that would hold your spot in that class. But you can hold multiple acceptances at schools until May 1st or so.

So you could send in your deposit to one school, wait to hear from another, and if the 2nd school accepts you, you have until May to tell the 1st school you don't want to go.

You would be out $100, though. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks, Nanook. If it's true that you can hold multiple acceptances, then I don't mind losing $100. Compared to all the money we've all poured into the application process, that's a drop in the bucket.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you can hold down multiple acceptances but last I heard the fee to hold the spot was more than $100. I think when I applied KCOMs fee with $500 within a few weeks and then another $500 in May.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Under new AACOMAS rules you have until December 14th to accept or decline. After NOvember 15th there a month to accept a decision.

After doing a little reading on the subject, I have to concur with the above post--most deposits are quite a bit above $100. Some schools (LECOM, for example) have a *much* higher fee of $1500.

This is true of some allopathic schools as well (University of Miami comes to mind).

So before sending in your deposit to a school to hold your place in the class, make sure that you would at least go there if you weren't accepted to somewhere better (a lame piece of advice, I guess).
Good luck!

Thanks for all of the info, everyone. I felt much better scheduling my interviews knowing that I wasn't jeopardizing my chances anywhere else. P.S. I got an an offer to interview at CCOM yesterday. Yay!

Cheekster,

I hope to get an interview at CCOM. What were your stats? I want to know if I might have a chance there. I'm a california resident with an overall gpa of 3.7, science gpa of 3.4, and MCAT scores of 7VR, 10PS, S & 10BS.

Chris

Originally posted by Nanook:
After doing a little reading on the subject, I have to concur with the above post--most deposits are quite a bit above $100. Some schools (LECOM, for example) have a *much* higher fee of $1500.

Good luck!

A school like LECOM needs to charge that much because they know they are last on everyone's list. It really isn't a great school with zero reputation and strict codes. The $1500 they charge is just money in their pockets.

Prolixless,
I have an overall of 3.53, and a science GPA of 3.34, and my MCATs are 11V, 8PS, and 12BS. I think the things that have helped me the most are good extracurriculars (leadership, clinical, etc.), the fact that I double majored (microbiology and psychology), and going to UCSD, which is considered a strong school for biological sciences. However, as noted in many other posts, there's no formula for getting into any particular school. Osteopathic schools seem especially likely to look at the whole package you have to offer when considering your application. I think you have a great chance. Good luck!