Happy Thanksgiving! (anyone else on call...)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TayShaun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On MICU call today, but fortunately not on overnight call. I can't wait to get home and watch some football and eat turkey with my lady till I explode. For that matter, I can't wait to be done with internship...

Anyway Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

On MICU call today, but fortunately not on overnight call. I can't wait to get home and watch some football and eat turkey with my lady till I explode. For that matter, I can't wait to be done with internship...

Anyway Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
:thumbup:

Same here...not on call overnight...but here nonetheless. Can't wait until Internship is over. We are halfway there.

i'm on call...not too much domestic violence stabbing/shootings, but i'm sure that'll change, once everybody gets really liquored up!

Members don't see this ad :)
What a turkey of a call.
Not crazy busy but more than expected. 2 stabbings. (One of them purportedly did not do the dishes after the big meal...)

Glad I wasn't on OB. 6 trips to the OR...

I remember as a CA-1, on call on Thanksgiving day, we took a major MVA patient with multiple fractures, collapsed lung, foreign object embedded in the chest, massive blood loss, etc. to the OR and 7 hours later, we took him to the ICU. He survived and eventually walked out of the hospital 4 weeks later. The next year, I heard he came back on Thanksgiving night with 3 turkeys, drinks, and more candy than the staff knew what to do with.

Of course I was on call at another hospital. Still, made us remember why we are all in this profession.

I remember as a CA-1, on call on Thanksgiving day, we took a major MVA patient with multiple fractures, collapsed lung, foreign object embedded in the chest, massive blood loss, etc. to the OR and 7 hours later, we took him to the ICU. He survived and eventually walked out of the hospital 4 weeks later. The next year, I heard he came back on Thanksgiving night with 3 turkeys, drinks, and more candy than the staff knew what to do with.

Of course I was on call at another hospital. Still, made us remember why we are all in this profession.

Being at the hospital though with people in bad shape also reminds you of how much you have to be thankful for.
This Wednesday my father fell 20 feet from a tree while deer hunting and broke his back in 2 places, but is (damn lucky to be) neurologically intact. I've never felt so thankful on Thanksgiving before.

I was on overnight call in the MICU yesterday through today...we currently have 22 pts (which for our MICU service is huge)...and of those...2 were maxed out on Levophed, Vasopressin and Neosynephrine + dobutamine...and a third had those 4 plus dopamine (and her mixed venous O2 was still like 58)...we ran out of dialysis machine in the hospital and had no more ventilators...I had patients all over the hospital..on hold in the ED in the PACU...you name it...it was crazy and I was putting in A-lines for cuff bps of 40/20 at 4 am and I wanted to crawl into a corner....but nobody died...I don't know how I escaped it...but I was giving liter NS boluses out like candy...now I am home and just waking up from a 2 hr nap on my couch and so happy that this is my one weekend off this month...I have got to finish this MICU month before it finishes me (Plus I am so tired of getting drunks and ODers intubated for airway protection....what a waste of a good H&P and MICU bed)

Hopefully tomorrow I will be thinking more clearly and start preparing and getting ready to go back and be on call Monday.....