Happy with academic stats but ECs seem weak

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChocolateSyrup

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
To start I'm currently at U of Toronto so while I'm american I don't have any in state benefits anywhere. Also, I'm having difficulty gauging my ECs. I understand I should be competetive for mid-tiers but I was curious about chances at a top 20. I got my MCAT scores back recently and was pretty shocked.

Here are my stats:

MCAT: 523
GPA: 3.94
Race/Ethnicity: Pakistani-American
Clinical: About 100 hours volunteering with another 80 hours paid (all were heavily focused on patient interaction)
Research: About 800 hours in by time of application, no pubs unfortunately
Shadowing: Not really allowed in Ontario but I do have around 35 hours in internal medicine
Non-Clinical: Around 450 hours in various experiences, most are education related or campus-related and I'd say they're average in terms of uniqueness, they all have a leadership aspect to them
Employment: 250 hours in retail, 120 hours as undergrad biochem TA, another 45 hours as a tutor with student society

I've also begun doing the following things and should have the following amount of time committed by app season:

1) Exec on departmental club (60 hours)
2) Sitting on Advisor Committee for for university library (25 hours)
3) Councillor on our Science Student Society (elected position where i represent my department) (80 hours)
4) Coordinator for weekly reading program at elementary school (50 hours)

Again I'm really curious if this would be sufficient to land an interview at some top 20s and if you guys had advice on any specific schools I should target please let me know! Appreciate all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you apply to a bunch of top 20s, you're going to get at least a few bites. It's unfortunate that you aren't in-state anywhere (though if you still maintained residency via your parents and are a US citizen, it's possible you're still considered a state resident somewhere).

This list is assuming you're an American citizen.

Harvard, Hopkins, Stanford, Penn, WashU, Yale, Columbia, Duke, Michigan, UChicago, Vanderbilt, Pitt, Northwestern, Sinai, NYU, Cornell, Emory, Case Western, Hofstra, Rochester, Einstein, Wake Forest, Miami, USC-Keck, and UVA.

That's 25 schools. You'll want to avoid schools where the 90th percentile MCAT is lower than, say, a 38. Most of the top 20s have a 90th percentile of 40 or 41. You have the equivalent of a 40. The above list should get you at least one acceptance. I would double check and see if you have maintained state residence in your home state.

Again, this is assuming you are a US citizen. If you are not, you'll need a different strategy which others are more qualified than me to provide.

Harvard, Hopkins, Stanford, Penn, WashU, Yale, Columbia, Duke, Michigan, UChicago, Vanderbilt, Pitt, Northwestern, Sinai, NYU, Cornell, Emory, Case Western, Hofstra, Rochester, Einstein, Wake Forest, Miami, USC-Keck, and UVA.

That's 25 schools. You'll want to avoid schools where the 90th percentile MCAT is lower than, say, a 38.

OP, per WedgeDawg's advice -- that would eliminate Hofstra, Rochester, and Wake Forest for you (maybe some others too).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! We have almost identical stats! PM me and I can send you some info on my list etc.

OP, per WedgeDawg's advice -- that would eliminate Hofstra, Rochester, and Wake Forest for you (maybe some others too).

Rochester is still fine to keep. Hofstra is hit or miss - they have liked high MCAT scores in the past. Wake Forest is probably the first that would drop from there. With a 40, you're going to be hitting 90th percentile for most schools

Reactions: 1 user