Happy with Pepid on Blackberry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soup

Running down a dream
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've followed the difficulties everyone is having with the iPhone and Pepid and I know that Pepid is the PDA program for EM. What I haven't explicitly heard is how happy those people are who use Pepid on their Blackberries. Any drawbacks or advantages to that platform?

Members don't see this ad.

Really? No one?

This probably belongs in the technology forum. Pepid is a great application, but I think the iPhone has a much better interface for this. Make sure you go for the BlackBerry Storm so that you can take advantage of the capacitive touch screen. A PDA or smartphone that doesn't have a touch screen is not practical for clinicians who want to use serious medical applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
This probably belongs in the technology forum. Pepid is a great application, but I think the iPhone has a much better interface for this.

Pepid for iPhone requires a data connection, which differs from the standalone app available for Palm and Winow Mobile PDAs. This could be problematic for many users with spotty connections. The EM forum has a couple of early adopters of the iphone pepid app that find this unacceptable.

Pepid for iPhone requires a data connection, which differs from the standalone app available for Palm and Winow Mobile PDAs. This could be problematic for many users with spotty connections. The EM forum has a couple of early adopters of the iphone pepid app that find this unacceptable.

Just to clarify, PEPID requires a data connection for some of its functionality but not all. The medical calculators and interaction checker needs the connection. I can use the medical & drug reference with no connection at all (i.e. airplane mode).

I'm not very happy about the requirement and have voiced my concerns to PEPID who report they will change this in a future release.

Take care,
Jeff

This probably belongs in the technology forum. Pepid is a great application, but I think the iPhone has a much better interface for this. Make sure you go for the BlackBerry Storm so that you can take advantage of the capacitive touch screen. A PDA or smartphone that doesn't have a touch screen is not practical for clinicians who want to use serious medical applications.

Would you mind explaining a little on why it isn't practical to use a PDA or Smartphone without a touch screen?

I changed formats from Palm to BB Storm with my Pepid ED Suite. I like the way it works on Palm a lot more, but then again a lot of other things run better on my Palm. I used to use it a lot more when I was a resident, but as an attending not as much.

I haven't been very happy with my BB Storm and will switch to iPhone eventually. I've actually reverted back to using my Palm T/X when I'm at work. Pepid is slow on my Storm compared to the Palm, so I don't recommend Pepid on the BB Storm in my opinion.