• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

IncuSpy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello - I am currently stuck in a tough decision. I will be taking a year off before going to medical school and must decide what to do. Regardless I will be seeking out a full time job. Intially I wanted to do EMT (for the thrill and medicine), which I assumed looked great for Med School; only inhibition is spending money/not making money and taking a couple of months to do the class and then not even being sure if I were guaranteed a job.

So - I go to the University of Miami; our President is Donna Shalala. She was the Secretarty of Health for both Clinton Administrations. She is in charge of the Commission for Wounded Warriors along with holding many other prestigous chairs in politics and government. She is the head of UM Medical School as well and is considered one of the most powerful/influential women. I am taking her class and asked her if she could offer my any jobs for my year off and she gave me 2:
1) Research assistant at The Human Genome Project
2) be her personal Health Care Research Assistand and TA for her Health Care class

My dilemma is picking one. Working for her will no doubt network me like crazy and probably be a shoe-in at UM Med (even though I dont really want to go here). BUT it is not a medical job.
Human Genome Project is a medical job but doesnt have the same benefits as working for Donnna Shalala.

What do you think will do better for me in the long run applying to med school?
I really appreciate the opinions

L

LikeClockWork

Hello - I am currently stuck in a tough decision. I will be taking a year off before going to medical school and must decide what to do. Regardless I will be seeking out a full time job. Intially I wanted to do EMT (for the thrill and medicine), which I assumed looked great for Med School; only inhibition is spending money/not making money and taking a couple of months to do the class and then not even being sure if I were guaranteed a job.

So - I go to the University of Miami; our President is Donna Shalala. She was the Secretarty of Health for both Clinton Administrations. She is in charge of the Commission for Wounded Warriors along with holding many other prestigous chairs in politics and government. She is the head of UM Medical School as well and is considered one of the most powerful/influential women. I am taking her class and asked her if she could offer my any jobs for my year off and she gave me 2:
2) be her personal Health Care Research Assistand and TA for her Health Care class

My dilemma is picking one. Working for her will no doubt network me like crazy and probably be a shoe-in at UM Med (even though I dont really want to go here). BUT it is not a medical job.
Human Genome Project is a medical job but doesnt have the same benefits as working for Donnna Shalala.

I'd say go with the job you're most interested in. If your choice is to work with Ms. Shalala, then don't worry about it being a non-medical job. You are allowed to do things not directly related to medicine in your year off. If you're worried about this though, you can always volunteer at a hospital in your free time.

IncuSpy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
thats a good point - w/o a doubt I would love to work with her. She can open doors no one else will, and I can network with people that I could only read about in the news. Not only that but she is very political and I would more than likely meet the new presidential candidates. Not like that matters, but its an example of the opportunities that would come about. And if I apply to a school where they know of her it will be gold

My only concern is getting into an interview and having them ask "What did you do with your year off" - Well I worked for Donna Shalala - "Donna who?"

I dont want to sound like I didnt do anything important in the eyes of people who dont know who she is

About the Ads
L

LikeClockWork

...My only concern is getting into an interview and having them ask "What did you do with your year off" - Well I worked for Donna Shalala - "Donna who?"

I dont want to sound like I didnt do anything important in the eyes of people who dont know who she is

You don't have to name drop to make your gap year job sound important. I'm working as a research assistant on some project at a university. No big names (not even a big deal research topic either, just small potatoes), but as long as you talk about what YOU learned or gained from the experience in an interesting way, then it will have served its purpose in the interview.

IncuSpy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
very true - I do believe working for her is an honor and a once in a lifetime opportunity

but, by the same token, getting a job at The Human Genome Project is also an honor and a once in a lifetime opportunity

so regardless of which looks better - which would you all choose??

emttim

Addicted to SCUBA
10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2007
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
very true - I do believe working for her is an honor and a once in a lifetime opportunity

but, by the same token, getting a job at The Human Genome Project is also an honor and a once in a lifetime opportunity

so regardless of which looks better - which would you all choose??

Well, obviously the choice is up to you (and a damn hard choice too, sheesh), but personally I would go for being her personal research assistant and TA in a health care class, but that's just because I'm attracted to any sort of part-time teaching since I like teaching; just not enough to do it as a career.

IncuSpy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I agree with that, thanks. My only thing is that I dont know what to expect with each.
All of my research that i've done before is behavior (Child Autism) and i dont know what to expect with doing research on the Human Genome. Should be exciting though, but maybe i am out of my league if I am not used to hardcore microbiological work.
Similarly, working with Shalala will be super demanding. I met with the person i would be replacing and he even writes the prompts for her speeches at Universities, Commencements, and even her speech to testify under Congress!!!! I am nervous about that kind of responsibility.

Doctor Doogie

10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

Go with option 2.

Ella Shepherd

Screen. Stage. Studio.
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

I think it would be nice to do the 2nd. You'll have lots of medicine to deal with in medical school. It would be cool to delve into something related-but-not-exactly-related to medicine before med school. :) And I think having her as a connection will be helpful in the application process, too. She can referr you to UM Med and maybe even to other medical schools especially if you work well with her. I think you should go for that...

But of course, it still depends on what you think is best. Go with the option that makes you feel better. :) Good luck! :luck:

Ella Shepherd

Screen. Stage. Studio.
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I agree with that, thanks. My only thing is that I dont know what to expect with each.
All of my research that i've done before is behavior (Child Autism) and i dont know what to expect with doing research on the Human Genome. Should be exciting though, but maybe i am out of my league if I am not used to hardcore microbiological work.
Similarly, working with Shalala will be super demanding. I met with the person i would be replacing and he even writes the prompts for her speeches at Universities, Commencements, and even her speech to testify under Congress!!!! I am nervous about that kind of responsibility.

LOL Reminds me of The Devil Wears Prada. Not sure if you read or watched it...but I don't think your professor is like Miranda Priestly. :p And I still think you should go with option number 2. :) I also think that you shouldn't be so worried about those things and responsibilities. She wouldn't have offered the job to you if she knew you couldn't handle it. :thumbup:

ZagDoc

Ears, Noses, and Throats
10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Generally, despite the rumors, what you do for your year off has little weight with the ADCOMs, as long as you're a decent applicant. A bit of a generalization (if you're an EMT for a couple years thats a plus), but in terms of 1 year, as long as you can talk about what you're doing and make it sound interesting and engaging most interviewers couldn't care less if its "medically related." They want the personality fit, you get the medical experience in medical school.

Go with what you're more interested in. It will come off better in your interview when you talk about it, and realistically, when you think about it, graduation is May/June, AMCAS opens in June, interviews are in the fall/winter... at most you'll have about 6 months of experience in whatever you're doing. As far as research goes that's pretty inconsequential since most of the first month or two is just learning how to operate in your position and with you team, so ADCOMs are more concerned with seeing you engaging yourself. If you're excited about the human genome project, go for that. But it will be your enthusiasm for it and not the title of your position or your lowly research peon scut work that scores you points with med schools. Same with working with Dr. Shalala. If you love working with her, go for that. Though, I will say, that is one juicy networking contact.

UFMed

Life Coach
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2007
Gainesville
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
I would opt for the EMT. Working for Shalala isn't necessarily going to get you into medical school (especially if it will polarize you to one political party, which I don't think you should do in the wake of applying). Teaching would be very interesting but only if it's a subject you're passionate about. If you're really into health care policy, then maybe you can use the experience to sell to an ADCOM that you're also interested in an MD/MPH; that'll make you stand out. But so will an EMT.
With the EMT training you'd be learning something new and useful, and it would definitely impress ADCOMS. Plus, it'll add to your patient contact & commitment to helping the community. And it sounds like you haven't been accepted to a medical school yet (?) if you have to reapply for any reason, you'll have a good source of income as you're getting things in order for the next batch.

You are betting that working with a school/political big whig is going to give you a shoe in. I HIGHLY doubt it will help since the ADCOM at UMiami is comprised of nearly 30 individuals (who may like or hate their boss, or feel that their Boss is trying to give someone a shoe in and feel a little patronized). I think getting EMT certified will be more heartfelt- IMHO.

pride4jc727

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
If you want prestige take option 1, but you also have to really be proactive because you are going to definitely have to answer questions about that at your med school interview.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.