Hard Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeyB

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior undergrad who has spent the last three and a half years bustin my butt to get into med school. I also happen to be a 1st class cadet at The Citadel. I had planned on entering medical school next fall in pursuit of a military medical career. As a result of the attack on America on Sep 11, I have instead decided to pursue a commission as a Lieutenant of Infantry. My ultimate career goal is to be a physician, but serving my country as a combatant is more important today.

My problem: should I take the MCAT in the spring of 2002 or should I wait until some time later after I graduate? Is taking some time off from school and pursuing non-medical related interests going to harm me in the long run?

Be honest.

MB

Members don't see this ad.

are you kidding? "Is taking time off to protect your country after being a first class cadet" a bad move??? Hell no. (Don't forget MCATs are only good for 3 years in most schools...so plan well.)
damn...silly silly question. ;)

ditto Senioritis...just plan accordingly for the MCAT. Check the schools that you want to apply to and see how long they accept MCAT scores (typically alst three years only). Thanks in advance for helping defend our country.

Members don't see this ad :)
HEY!

my brother went to the citadel. what an accomplishment, getting through that place, congratulations!

it's easier to deal with the mcat when you aren't in school, i.e. in august. but yeah, it is important that they are "fresh." i have been away from college working and in grad school and i find that med schools really like it, they think you are more "mature" or something. :)

If you are planning on applying to med school within the next 2-3 years, I would advise taking the MCATs within the year. I took mine in the spring of my junior year and I couldn't believe how much gen chem I had already forgotten so I can only imagine that it would be even more difficult after a couple years after graduation. If you don't think you are going to use them within the time limit though, there's no reason to put yourself through all the studying and the eight hour test!

BTW, i think what you are doing is a great thing and med schools will appreciate it too. :)

If you are planning on applying to med school within the next 2-3 years, I would advise taking the MCATs within the year. I took mine in the spring of my junior year and I couldn't believe how much gen chem I had already forgotten so I can only imagine that it would be even more difficult after a couple years after graduation. If you don't think you are going to use them within the time limit though, there's no reason to put yourself through all the studying and the eight hour test!

BTW, i think what you are doing is a great thing and med schools will appreciate it too. :)