SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Hard to get a good residency?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by evoviiigsr, Apr 30, 2007.

1. evoviiigsr

evoviiigsr 7+ Year Member

Dec 22, 2006
    I was wondering, would it be easier to get competitive residencies, all else held constant, if you go to a less famous U.S. med school like Morehouse OR one of the best Caribbean schools like St. George's? Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Lests55

Lests55 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Conventional wisdom is that grads of US medical schools fare much better than international grads. The numbers support this.

4. Tired Pigeon

Tired Pigeon 7+ Year Member

Jan 27, 2007
    US >>> Caribbean

5. evoviiigsr

Dec 22, 2006
    Do you have to be be black to go to a predominantly black school?

6. bretticus

bretticus Neuroradiology fellow 10+ Year Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Missouri
    I'm pretty sure it's "predominant" because non-blacks get in. :)

7. SupergreenMnM

SupergreenMnM Peanut, not chocolate 2+ Year Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Yes. The caribbean school will make you an IMG, i.e. with few exceptions you get the scraps leftover from all the US allo grads.

8. pennybridge

pennybridge Banned Banned

Oct 13, 2006
    you either have to be black, want to be black, or got the serious jungle fever...

9. gsmithers68

gsmithers68 2+ Year Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Or be an idiot without a MSAR and apply to Howard as a white middle class west coast californian coming out of san francisco.

10. Tired

Tired Fading away 7+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Understand that Caribbean schools are generally looked on as where failed premeds go when they get rejected from all the U.S. schools. Yes yes, I know that a lot of their students will find residencies, can do okay, etc etc. But the fact remains that the moment you enroll in Caribbean school, you immediately set yourself in a hole that is very difficult to climb out of. If you're good, you'll still do okay, but even a mediocre student at a lower-tier U.S. school will have an easier time in the Match than the better Caribbean students.

11. Gut Shot

Gut Shot 10+ Year Member

Sep 7, 2003
    I know a very accomplished young pathologist at Memorial Sloan-Kettering (not the shabbiest of institutions) who attended Howard, and he's as middle class white as the day is long. He absolutely had to attend med school in DC due to a dying parent, and Howard was the only one to admit him.

12. learss79

learss79 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Washington DC
    I seriously hope you are joking.

13. learss79

learss79 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Washington DC
    The USMLE pass rates for Morehouse have been around 98% or 99% for the past three years. That is higher than most medical schools in this country.

14. GuzzyRon

GuzzyRon Son of the Son of Man 10+ Year Member

Hope so too.

15. Chrissy

Chrissy Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Why is God's name would you go caribbean before applying osteopathic?...especially because you claim residencies are your concern

16. evoviiigsr

Dec 22, 2006
    I don't know if I'll be practicing in the US all my life

17. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dec 20, 2004
    If you plan to practice in the US, your first choice should be to go to school in the US. Caribbean is a harder road. Even the caribbean schools with reportedly good board scores and successful matches have substantially higher attrition than any US school, so you have to factor in that the percentage of the first year class that even gets to apply to residencies is already significantly smaller than its US counterparts. These schools were set up as a cottage industry of "second chance" schools for US students who didn't get in the US, and so they carry that reputation. At the moment, there are more residency slots than US grads though, so a lot of offshore educated folks do get residencies. This may change, as the US schools continue to increase in size and number.

18. foofish

foofish 7+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2006
    SDN
    I'd imagine that even abroad an American medical degree would get you farther than a Caribbean degree....unless you're planning on practicing on whichever island you go to school.

19. pcguy2

pcguy2 Minneapolis Master 2+ Year Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Pediatricians of the Caribnean?

20. Old ortho

Old ortho 2+ Year Member

Mar 11, 2007
    For U. S. med schools' graduates, is it easier to get into good residencies if they go to a higher ranked school (e.g. Mount Sinai) instead of a lower ranked school (e.g. NYMC)?

21. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member 2+ Year Member

May 28, 2006
    Boston & NYC
    Didn't you already create an entire thread for your question already?

Also, have you taken a look at NYMC's match lists in the previous years? Most kids either match into NYC or Cali programs because that's where most of the class is from. So it's entirely possible.

22. MDAdam

MDAdam 10+ Year Member

Sep 21, 2006
    What constitutes a "good" residency?

23. Tired

Dec 12, 2006
    The ones that don't suck.

24. MDAdam

MDAdam 10+ Year Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Oh, ok...

maybe US News should rank residencies.
    jk

25. Tired Pigeon

Tired Pigeon 7+ Year Member

Jan 27, 2007
    :laugh:

26. Tired

Dec 12, 2006
    You actually raise a really good point. What constitutes a "good" residency?

Unlike medical schools, you can't just arrange residency programs in order of best to worst. A residency is "good" if it satisfies your goals for the program. A rural community IM program is great, if that's the kind of training you want to get. Similarly, UCLA is excellent at getting their graduates into competitive fellowships, so if you're going that route, you need to see where people go after graduating. What kinds of cases do you want to see? If you're looking toward critical care, you want a residency with an open ICU. If you're going into surgery, you have to think about the kind of practice you want. Thinking about bariatric surgery? Pick a program with a connection to specialty center. Interested in trauma? Look for an inner city program.

You see where I'm going with this.

It is a hard thing to readjust your thinking, but residency just doesn't operate on the same rules that undergrad and med school does. Prestige, while nice, takes a big back seat to the more practical question of, "Will this program train me to do the things I want to do?" This is practical education, with the intention of preparing you to practice independently.

So really, a "good residency" depends on your goals, not an arbitrary ranking by a crappy news magazine.

27. notaroche

notaroche 2+ Year Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Here's a brain twister for ya. Does George Bush care about this white doctor, despite the fact that he graduated from a black school?

28. gsmithers68

gsmithers68 2+ Year Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Hence the west coast comment... :confused: but you bring up a good point. I would go to a location if a parent lived there and their health was deteriorating, even Howard. Makes sense.

zing! :laugh:

29. Gut Shot

Gut Shot 10+ Year Member

Sep 7, 2003
    Only if he's a significant contributor to the party (back in the day that meant hookers and blow).