Hard to get Licensure in other states?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nir1009

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished up D-1 and was just looking ahead into future plans for practice. I plan to move from the NJ/NY/PA area to Florida to practice but I've heard from fellow classmates that its very tough to get licensure in that particular state for some reason. Is there any truth to this? I tried to search the forum but couldn't find any specifics. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished up D-1 and was just looking ahead into future plans for practice. I plan to move from the NJ/NY/PA area to Florida to practice but I've heard from fellow classmates that its very tough to get licensure in that particular state for some reason. Is there any truth to this? I tried to search the forum but couldn't find any specifics. Any advice would be appreciated.

It is very hard. Most states are reasonable and will grant you your license in a few weeks to a month or so. I used to work at a locum tenens company and to get an MD his FL license took 9 months to a year. Dentists are governed by a different board but I have heard the dental board takes even longer.

forgot to add this but do you think doing a GPR would speed up the process a bit? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Florida is tricky, they want to protect the field from retiring dentists and so they make licensure a pain. I have heard from some that it is a difficult examination, but I also know a practicing dentist who studied in the airport the night before the exam and passed...Go to the webpage of the florida dental association, there are details regarding the boards and florida license. As far as I know, you just have to pass the exam. I've heard that non-residents take the exam on different days than do residents, although I am not entirely sure if that is true.

WREB nor NERB cover florida. Florida has their own board exam. It goes back to those hanging chad's mentality.

As Regmata said they wish to discourage dentists from retiring to Florida but Fla. is a growing state with a need for newly trained young dentists. I have been told the state board there is geared to give new grads and advantage.

I recall that Florida has a statute of limitations on NBDE scores as well (5 years maybe?), so if that time has passed you need to retake them. That certainly discourages many clinicians that have been practicing for a while. Check the FL state board website for actual requirements.

I recall that Florida has a statute of limitations on NBDE scores as well (5 years maybe?), so if that time has passed you need to retake them. That certainly discourages many clinicians that have been practicing for a while. Check the FL state board website for actual requirements.

i think it is 10 years and it only applies to part II

Do all states require licensure exam. My friend as completed his DDS but did not pass the licence exam. Is there any state where he can do a GPR or AEGD and not have to take licence exam? Please help. Thanks.

doesn't NY have a aegd/ 5th year of d-school in lieu of a board exam now? or is that in the works?

Yup, same in CT. Grad from an accredited d-school and do a 1 year AEGD/GPR and if you want to practice in NY or CT, that PGY1 year will let you parctice without having to take the NERB:D

As for Florida, to my knowledge the "old rule" still applies(atleast anecdotally), and that is that your chances of passing the Florida board has alot more to do with what state is on your your return address for your application than your clinical skills on the exam (i.e. Florida residents are much more likely to pass than non Florida residents)

Yup, same in CT. Grad from an accredited d-school and do a 1 year AEGD/GPR and if you want to practice in NY or CT, that PGY1 year will let you parctice without having to take the NERB:D

As for Florida, to my knowledge the "old rule" still applies(atleast anecdotally), and that is that your chances of passing the Florida board has alot more to do with what state is on your your return address for your application than your clinical skills on the exam (i.e. Florida residents are much more likely to pass than non Florida residents)
CT, WA, MN, CA and NY all have the PGY-1 option.

I took the Florida Board exam last year and it IS a difficult exam - not because of the content of the exam but because of all the rules and regulations. The mannikin and patient portions of the exam are graded very strictly, the written exams are fairly simple.

I'd suggest taking of one of the prep courses (The FL Board Preps course or the Becker course), most out-of-state candidates take one of these because they help you with everything. Actually, most students take a course too despite the help they get from the school...

I've never understood how people that aren't UF/Nova students pass the exam without one of the courses.

Hope that helps!