Hard Work Pays Off, really!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kumjohn

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
My name is Mac and I am originally from Thailand. I set out two years ago to become a Dentist at the age of 31. I had just finished my M.B.A. and had married my wife (from Louisiana) just a year prior. I had the urge to pursue something I had always wanted. A career in Dentistry.
I talked with professors at school and they helped me contrive a plan to complete the necessary prereq's. The most daunting task, I found, was to study and complete the DAT.

I took my first DAT in January of this year. My scores were low. I was discouraged even though I had been accepted for an interview at LSU School of Dentistry. My reading comprehension score hurt my chances and were the obvious reason why I was only put on the wait list and not accepted for this year's entering class.

Yesterday I took the DAT again. I was so worried that on a standarized test that there would be no room to improve. I took the test and finished some sections early. Knowing this I wondered if I had done something wrong. I received my score at the end and was delighted.

You see I studied very hard everyday, over and over the same material. I knew what I had to accomplish and hoped for the best outcome. I want to encourage anyone who thinks they cannot do it, to give it their best. You can overcome any obstacle if you give yourself the right training and if you have the faith that you can achieve it. You all deserve to make a good score. You need to believe in yourself and study hard for it. There are distractions and there are times when you cannot take it anymore. But, if you look at my scores below you will see for yourself that a non-native speaker, who later in life than most set out to do something and achieve that goal no matter what.

.................................Before/Jan.2003.................Now/Aug 8.2003
........................Standard Score/Percentile....Standard Score/Percentile

ACADEMIC AVERAGE..........17.../49.7...................21.../96.6
Perceptual Ability..............17.../50.7...................17.../72.0
Quant. Reasoning..............18.../74.6...................20.../91.2
Reading Comp...................14.../3.5 :rolleyes: ...............18.../53.2:clap:
Biology.............................17.../55.2..................18.../83.7
Gen. Chemistry..................16.../44.0...................23.../96.4
Organic Chemistry..............19.../73.5...................27.../100.0:clap:
TOTAL SCIENCE.................17.../55.5:(................21.../96.5:love:

:)I want to encourage you all to do your very best. Hard work pays off in the end. I hope and pray you all accomplish your goals.:)

Members don't see this ad.

WOW:clap: I am extremely happy for you kumjohn! You are definately a first class example of hard work paying off! You are an inspiration to all of us here at SDN, and the example you have now set will continue to inspire us. Congratulations to you and good luck on all your future endeavors...YOU HAVE EARNED IT!:clap: :clap:

-Richard

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Mac, congrats. I sent you a private message, check your inbox.

thanks man!

You might want to tell these folks exactly how you acquired those scores. We don't need to hear a Tony Robbins infomercial. Let's try to offer some concrete advice IN ADDITION to the inspirational stories. Congratulations on your scores by the way. It sounds like you worked hard.

It wasn't my intention to post a "Tony Robbins" commercial. I am just thoroughly excited that I have achieved my goals and hoped to encourage others that they can do the same.

I am, however, in the process of composing a study plan, the one I followed, for someone who messaged me and requested some advice.
It was my opinion that there were so many study plans already in existence online that were similar to mine.

I am glad to offer this advice and I am. I was inspired by a similar story of a non-native speaker who didn't detail his plan, but his life's story. Please accept my encouragement, be it "Tony Robbin-esqe" or not, inspiration from any source also helps.

Originally posted by kumjohn
It wasn't my intention to post a "Tony Robbins" commercial. I am just thoroughly excited that I have achieved my goals and hoped to encourage others that they can do the same.

I am, however, in the process of composing a study plan, the one I followed, for someone who messaged me and requested some advice.
It was my opinion that there were so many study plans already in existence online that were similar to mine.

I am glad to offer this advice and I am. I was inspired by a similar story of a non-native speaker who didn't detail his plan, but his life's story. Please accept my encouragement, be it "Tony Robbin-esqe" or not, inspiration from any source also helps.

For a non-native speaker, you write really well. My sincere compliments. No sarcasm intended.

Originally posted by zazzookode
For a non-native speaker, you write really well. My sincere compliments. No sarcasm intended.

"You write a really well." :laugh: open mouth and insert foot.

;) (It helps when you marry an English major. I make my wife check my posts before I send them.) ;)

I'm the one who needs your advice Kumjohn.
English is my second language.
And I'm taking DAT in two weeks.
I'm so worried about the Reading part.
In fact, I gave up that part, just want to pass,get 15.
not enough time to listen to your advice though
let me know what you have to do during the test for that reading part, strategy as a non native speaker.
thanks

Read all the questions like you would when you practiced for TOEFL. That way when you read the passage you are prepared.

The test is going to ask specific questions, like..What this stands for... and you can read the question first and then dig for the answer.
But for questions regarding the general idea of a passage, you need to read and attempt to understand the entire meaning.

I also got luck this time around. I have an MBA and concentrated in Finance. It just happened that one passage only concerned stock transactions, so I did not even read the passage. I only answered according to what I already knew.

The second passage was about the Nervous System, something we all study in prerequisites. Prior knowledged aided my Reading Comprehension score. I hope you have the same kind of luck.

I suggest that in order to only "pass" just gauge your time well. Dig for questions that are easier. Then go back for broader questions, read at your comfort level so that you understand it.

Best of Luck to you!:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Kumjohn, you are trully an inspiration to those true slackers here, myself wholeheartedly included. After seeing those scores, I feel like I can study the whole day without taking a nap to recuperate. Thanks for posting your trully motivating success, Ill be sure to think of your deposition and your fortitude to attain success when I study. Once again, CONGRATZ :-D
Rich

For those who have requested test prep plans, here is what I did...

First of all my score did not improve on Bio because this part requires very good memorization skills. I do have suggestions for you on Chem and Organic Chem.:

1. Before you can complete the practice exams you must understand-very well-the concept they involve. I studied very hard when I prepared for my organic chem. I and II classes.

It sounds funny, but I used ?Cliffs Quick review Chemistry? because, as you know, I am a non-native and this review is written in plain and easy English.

2. I made Notecards/Flashcards on Organic Chem, and I wrote down all the reactions from Kaplan?s organic section. I suggest you study and study, like 20 to 30 times, until you can remember it very very well.

3. I?m a student worker at my university, I tutor students in Chemistry so I always review material again and again. Because I can tutor them I need to know everything beforehand. This position worked to my advantage. Maybe if you approached the material that you have the most

4. Any technique that works for you--stick with it. I really worked my butt off. My wife, she really knows how boring my routine is. You know what motivates you. Use it and arrange your life around a plan that helps you to meet your goals. You?ll notice your achievements in time.

I studied everyday at different times, whenever it was convenient. As long as I studied for a significant amount of time each day, I felt comfortable, because I didn't lose touch with the subjects. You can study for hours or just for one, as long as you take time out of everything else to devote you are able to absorb the information you may not have been as familiar with.

2 weeks before the test:
-do ALL the practice exams
-know the time of your exam, and if possible practice everyday about that time so that its not out of your norm.
(I knew that I work best in the afternoon so I scheduled a 12:00pm exam. The first time, I learned the hard way and had a 8am exam. It wasn't good for me.)
-During the exam and while studying...Sit up straight. As silly as this may sound, if you sit up straight and keep good posture your sympathetic system will control your body and you'll stay alert. This helps you to get through.

Good Luck to all of you.
Thank you all also, for your kind words.

Hello All,
My name is Mac and I am originally from Thailand. I set out two years ago to become a Dentist at the age of 31. I had just finished my M.B.A. and had married my wife (from Louisiana) just a year prior. I had the urge to pursue something I had always wanted. A career in Dentistry.
I talked with professors at school and they helped me contrive a plan to complete the necessary prereq's. The most daunting task, I found, was to study and complete the DAT.

I took my first DAT in January of this year. My scores were low. I was discouraged even though I had been accepted for an interview at LSU School of Dentistry. My reading comprehension score hurt my chances and were the obvious reason why I was only put on the wait list and not accepted for this year's entering class.

Yesterday I took the DAT again. I was so worried that on a standarized test that there would be no room to improve. I took the test and finished some sections early. Knowing this I wondered if I had done something wrong. I received my score at the end and was delighted.

You see I studied very hard everyday, over and over the same material. I knew what I had to accomplish and hoped for the best outcome. I want to encourage anyone who thinks they cannot do it, to give it their best. You can overcome any obstacle if you give yourself the right training and if you have the faith that you can achieve it. You all deserve to make a good score. You need to believe in yourself and study hard for it. There are distractions and there are times when you cannot take it anymore. But, if you look at my scores below you will see for yourself that a non-native speaker, who later in life than most set out to do something and achieve that goal no matter what.

.................................Before/Jan.2003.................Now/Aug 8.2003
........................Standard Score/Percentile....Standard Score/Percentile

ACADEMIC AVERAGE..........17.../49.7...................21.../96.6
Perceptual Ability..............17.../50.7...................17.../72.0
Quant. Reasoning..............18.../74.6...................20.../91.2
Reading Comp...................14.../3.5 :rolleyes: ...............18.../53.2:clap:
Biology.............................17.../55.2..................18.../83.7
Gen. Chemistry..................16.../44.0...................23.../96.4
Organic Chemistry..............19.../73.5...................27.../100.0:clap:
TOTAL SCIENCE.................17.../55.5:(................21.../96.5:love:

:)I want to encourage you all to do your very best. Hard work pays off in the end. I hope and pray you all accomplish your goals.:)
thank you for the encouragement. You did great!

Can you share your study method (in depth if possible)? Thanks.

I've just realized the post had already been 4 years old. Man...why did you dig up an old corpse?

I've just realized the post had already been 4 years old. Man...why did you dig up an old corpse?

well, i was just searching to see if anybody has posted DAT study plans and found this one! As I am also a nonnative English speaker I was impressed!

Sorry! :laugh:

I'm really impressed. Not just with your scores and your improvement but with what you did with it. You used your personal improvement to motivate and support others, thats what a real quality person. Its not necessarily your accomplishments in life that are important, but what you do with them.

Props again

Just wondering where are you all come from? I'm also a fobby. =)

lol fobs come in many different categories....desi fobs RULE!...emmm but i'm not a fob guys sorrry=( i wish i was...maybe it would help me out some in MATH!