harder for international students to get into specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naranja1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a second year dental student in the US.
I am an international student (no green card/ no US citizen).
Is it really hard for international students to get into specialty program in the US?
I know getting into specialty program is hard, but i heard it is even harder for international students. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I am a first year dental student in the US.
I am an international student (no green card/ no US citizen).
Is it really hard for international students to get into specialty program in the US?
I know getting into specialty program is hard, but i heard it is even harder for international students. Is this true?

I think it can be harder if you're an advanced placement student or if your English isn't very good (unless you're applying to Prostho). Otherwise, if you're a four-year student I think your only limitation is you can't apply to VA hospital programs.

Getting GME funding or loan money is a different issue though -- I don't know anything about that...

I think it can be harder if you're an advanced placement student or if your English isn't very good (unless you're applying to Prostho). Otherwise, if you're a four-year student I think your only limitation is you can't apply to VA hospital programs.

Getting GME funding or loan money is a different issue though -- I don't know anything about that...

Thank you for your reply. Have you heard any international students got into specialty program in the US? The reason why I ask you is one of my friends (3rd year) told me it is almost impossible to get into specialty program for people who are not US resident or citizen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply. Have you heard any international students got into specialty program in the US? The reason why I ask you is one of my friends (3rd year) told me it is almost impossible to get into specialty program for people who are not US resident or citizen.

Interesting topic. From my understanding is that it's very difficult for international students to get into programs that offer stipends (mostly OMS and some pedo programs).

Interesting topic. From my understanding is that it's very difficult for international students to get into programs that offer stipends (mostly OMS and some pedo programs).

That's how I understand it too. Has to do with funding.

There are TONS of international students in other programs though -- pros, perio, ortho, endo, oral path, etc etc etc. So much so that it might be harder to get in as an international simply because US students are the minority at some programs! Pros, for instance, is actively recruiting US students -- I wouldn't be surprised if a better international applicant was turned down for a slightly less competitive US student.

That's how I understand it too. Has to do with funding.

There are TONS of international students in other programs though -- pros, perio, ortho, endo, oral path, etc etc etc. So much so that it might be harder to get in as an international simply because US students are the minority at some programs! Pros, for instance, is actively recruiting US students -- I wouldn't be surprised if a better international applicant was turned down for a slightly less competitive US student.

why is it that more us students dont want to go into prosth?

really this is a genuine (not smart *****) question.

The biggest obstacle I've heard (as someone who really likes pros) is that you don't need to specialize to do what they do. Crowns? Dentures? I learned all that in dental school! But I think pros does a bad job of showing off some of the magic they can pull off...

I think the only reason it's attractive to internationals is because it's "easy" to get into -- kind of a quick route to practicing in the US? I don't know the details but that's the impression I've gotten from those I've talked to.