Hardest class ever taken?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAT_MAN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rank them in order 1-10. I have yet to take organic or physics 2 or calc 2.
Do you guys think physics or organic is harder?

Physics 1
calculus 1
bio 2
gen chem 2
gen chem 1
bio 1

Members don't see this ad.

this is so subjective

it is the same as asking what section of the MCAT is hardest, some people have an easy time with the Verbal while others struggle with Physics or WR. It all depends on what are your strong points.

Physics 1
calculus 1
bio 2
gen chem 2
gen chem 1
bio 1

It's going to depend on the student and the prof. Someone good with numbers will like calculus, physics and gen chem better, someone better at non-calculation sciences is going to like bio better. A good prof can make a hard course relatively painless, while a bad prof can make a supposedly easy class a challenge.

Members don't see this ad :)
Define Hardest

I can easily say the hardest class ive taken were the ones in medical school because of the sheer volume and amount of information that we had to know. Or I can easily say that the hardest class Ive taken were the really abstract ones in college that I couldn't understand no matter how much time I put into it. Pick your poison. :)

I think what is hard depends on what you are good at. I found Organic Chemistry pretty easy as compared to physics.

My two cents

Mary-A

I found physics II (EM) to be the hardest of all the premed classes (or at least the hardest to ace)

also, im refering to the one thats most intellectually challenging, not the one that requires the most studying time.

As alluded to previously, "hard" needs to be defined. Physics I seemed rather easy and the information was simple, but no matter how much I studied, I always screwed up on the tests because I had a bad professor. I don't mind doing a lot of work as long as I come out learning material that's actually going to be on the exam. I have yet to take Orgo chem, but I hear it's a VERY difficult course. Anything greater than a 65% in the class is considered an A.

I'd say the hardest class I've ever taken was linear algebra, and I took it as an elective. LOL

1. Quantum Mechanics
2. Radiometric Dosimetry and Carcinogenesis
3. Intro to Nuclear Reactor Design
4. Bio-Microelectronic Mechanical Systems
5. Signals & Systems
6. Nanotechnology and Nanoscience w/Lab
7. Abstract Algebra
8. Biochemistry
9. O-Chem (part 2)
10. Mechanical Vibrations

Never, ever, ever go into bioengineering with an emphasis in radiological systems design. Doing that and pre-med is just plain dumb:(

Physics II (calc-based) was harder, but also a more enjoyable experience compared to organic. Physics was more about thinking your way through problems, and organic (for me, anyway) was all about endless memorization of mechanisms.:thumbdown:

I would say digital signal processing and linear circuits and signals are up there. Regardless though I must admit I love those upper level electrical engineering courses.

Intro to philosophy was also really hard because that crap was soooo subjective. No matter what I wrote, I ALWAYS got a B. Period. How irritating.

Members don't see this ad :)
One caveat, one of my friends at Purdue said his general chemistry class was hard and the class average was like a 40-50%, implying it was impossible. But if you get like a 55-60%, you got an A. It all depends how the professor makes his grading scale. He could do a 0-20=F, 20-40=D, 40-60=C, 60-80=B, 80-100=A. /end rant

Conceptually hardest was Physical Chemistry I (Thermodynamics). Solving Entropy (S) with a textbook page full of differential partial derivatives wasn't the easiest thing to do. That and taking CalculusII without having CalculusI was pretty interesting (switched to chem major, had to crunch scheduling).

I found physics II (EM) to be the hardest of all the premed classes (or at least the hardest to ace)

also, im refering to the one thats most intellectually challenging, not the one that requires the most studying time.

I have to agree with this. Calc based EM at most major engineering schools is almost always a monster of a class. Hands down the hardest class to ace

Organic Chemistry. Mostly because it's mind-numbingly boring. But also because I'm lazy.

Intro to Jazz. It's the perceived easy classes that always get me.

I have to agree with this. Calc based EM at most major engineering schools is almost always a monster of a class. Hands down the hardest class to ace

Cellbio/Genetics II at Duke (when I took it) had over 120 kids. less than 7 students received A's (including A-'s).

Who did you have? My cellbio I/II were a joke with Haas (sp?) and Hill.

Physics 1
calculus 1
bio 2
gen chem 2
gen chem 1
bio 1

There is no such thing as hardest class taken. Instead, the correct question to ask is: what was the most difficult course you have taken?

The most difficult course I have taken was literature. I can't stand sitting down and reading a book I have zero interest in.

Cellbio/Genetics II at Duke (when I took it) had over 120 kids. less than 7 students received A's (including A-'s).

fehon and perz-edwards. they only taught it together once. fehon is at uchicago now; perz-edwards, i believe, is on leave (she just had a baby)

cellbio/genetics I was a joke with Hill (i hear grunwald was hard).... and back in the day, there was No ''A'' McClay.

right now its endocrinology only b/c my teacher is a disorganized mess when it comes to lecturing, she gives out 5-6pg tests w/questions that must be answered in at least 2 paragraphs per question, and the author of the textbook she assigned goes into wild tangents of irrelevant over-your-head info...:scared:

this is so subjective

it is the same as asking what section of the MCAT is hardest, some people have an easy time with the Verbal while others struggle with Physics or WR. It all depends on what are your strong points.

I agree, 100%

Define Hardest

I can easily say the hardest class ive taken were the ones in medical school because of the sheer volume and amount of information that we had to know. Or I can easily say that the hardest class Ive taken were the really abstract ones in college that I couldn't understand no matter how much time I put into it. Pick your poison. :)

If we're talking about sheer volume and amount of information (which I also consider factors in determining the 'hardest' courses), then I'd say of all my undergrad classes, the hardest would have to be Biochemistry and Animal Development (embryology).

I totally agree with you I never take those 'easy' classes seriously, but for some reason the teachers do. Didn't help that my Music in the USA teacher overheard me saying I had 'real' classes to study for.

The hardest 'real' class I have taken is Cell and molecular, I don't think the material is all that difficult (just memorization) but the teacher is crazy hard and always uses trick questions and just plain stupid questions. There has only been one A (not including A-'s) in the past 3 years. I am in it right now and had an A at midterm so hopefully I can hold onto it.

fehon and perz-edwards. they only taught it together once. fehon is at uchicago now; perz-edwards, i believe, is on leave (she just had a baby)

cellbio/genetics I was a joke with Hill (i hear grunwald was hard).... and back in the day, there was No ''A'' McClay.

Guess I lucked out then. I had Hill for some intro Genetics course freshman year, and she told me to take her cellbio class next year. I haven't even heard of the other teachers, aside from Grunwald, as a bio major :laugh:.

Russian 460 didn't exactly peg my fun-meter.:oops:

Guess I lucked out then. I had Hill for some intro Genetics course freshman year, and she told me to take her cellbio class next year. I haven't even heard of the other teachers, aside from Grunwald, as a bio major :laugh:.

i recommend the developmental colloquium 200level class with McClay, it was pretty sweet.

hmmm probably mathematical logic and computability theory.

mathematically defining abstract ideas like truth and mathematically proving that there exist a mathematical statement that is true but can't be proven to be true in every mathematical axiomatic system capable of doing arithmetic that ever exists takes a badass level of mental abstraction to master such a subject.

a lot of times i understood what was being proven and what the results of a logic proof were, but actually understanding some of the proofs in every step went way over my head sometimes.

Calc II (fresh fall) was my big "intro" to college, introduced me to 20+ hour study sessions, I had this old Dinosaur that had to have been friends with Newton.

EM Calc based phyiscs (II) was a toughie.

Supposedly our Histo class the undergrads can take is a bear. 5 credis taught by the Bio Chair...Ill find out this fall.

None of them hold a candle to the really deep Engineering stuff.

Calc I was hard because it was my first semester freshman year. Calc II first time around. Of course I think if you don't put in the time because you hate the subject that's what happens.

Developmental biology was difficult for me because I was in a semester that was insane and MCAT study mode.

Calc-based Physics I was difficult because I hated the stuff. I didn't really appreciate physics until taking the MCAT so it isn't that bad now.

In essence it depends how enjoyable the subjects are and how much time you have to put into it.

Physics II (specifically electromagnetism) is the hardest thing I've done, not because I don't "get it" but more because I don't have enough time to get it well enough. I am taking Organic II right now as well.

Undergrad can be tough sometimes, especially when you start doubling up sciences. You have to wade through this icky soup of abstract, general scientific principles that are foreign to your every-day experience. Piling up the hours doing hundreds of physics and o-chem problems tends to get old very quickly.

I am looking forward to medical school, because while it will be much more "intense" it will also be way more straightforward.

My hardest class was Anthropology. It was the hardest not because of the subject, but due to lack of interesting (subject itself might be interesting but the professor was really boring). I think any class can be hard when you don't enjoy.

I took a witchcraft and heresy course that just killed me. We had 6 books that were all filled with 17th century church writings. Every time a paper was due for that class it required 200+ pages of reading (and trying to comprehend) that crap which made ochem and biochem seem like fun.

I want to bang my head into a wall just thinking about it.

I took a witchcraft and heresy course that just killed me. We had 6 books that were all filled with 17th century church writings. Every time a paper was due for that class it required 200+ pages of reading (and trying to comprehend) that crap which made ochem and biochem seem like fun.

I want to bang my head into a wall just thinking about it.

heathen

toughest class: ME315 - Heat and Mass Transfer (at Purdue)

Hardest class to date: Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy.

Everything else was easy.

My hardest class (seriously): Dinosaurs.

It was this fairly intense bio class (~comparative vert anatomy...but with dinos) that even came with lab....and made even worse by the fact that a) it was the first time it was being taught, and b) everyone had assumed it would be an easy senior spring gut (i.e. watching Jurassic Park all day). Made Orgo II feel like a breeze.

Learning to Learn.

I think I was the only person in there that didn't get an A.

econometrics (from a calculus perspective) :scared: :thumbdown: :scared:

Learning to Learn.

I think I was the only person in there that didn't get an A.

Wow... If you don't learn how to learn, you will never be able to learn!

P. Chem. Probably cause i took it my senior year.

That and Principles of MRI were hell.

Yeah, I said Fluid Biomechanics in another related thread, but MRI and DSP sounded pretty bad when you talked about 'em. Glad I'm not Imaging track.

taking algorithms right now.

midterm median was 40/90, maximum score 80 with minimum score -4!! (rounded to 0)... 20 pt true/false section grants 2 points for each correct response, but deducts full 2 points for a wrong answer!:eek:

i thought upper div evolution was hard....mostly b/c it was SOOO stinkin boring. i think i fell asleep in every lecture :(. compared to that, medschool classes were a breeze.

Conceptually quantum physics would probably be considered hard. But you can get an A and not understand it (alot of false confidence can be generated). Organic is hard in the sense that it is the first class you've ever had to work hard for a grade.