Hardest Section on the 2005 April MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gomezemog

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the PS section will get the most votes, but just wanted to get some numbers.

Members don't see this ad.

On form FM it was the BS section. 5 hard orgo passages and some mean bio (and I always aced the bio and did okay on orgo in practice, generally getting around a 12...I won't be surprised if I get like a 7 but I'm hoping for a 9)

tigress said:
On form FM it was the BS section. 5 hard orgo passages and some mean bio (and I always aced the bio and did okay on orgo in practice, generally getting around a 12...I won't be surprised if I get like a 7 but I'm hoping for a 9)

People who had the F_ forms said that bio was easy, but I definitely didn't think it was easy. I thought that bio section must have been one of the hardest bio sections I have ever taken. I was getting extremely frustrated by the bio and orgo passages and that alone probably killed my score.

Members don't see this ad :)
natureboy said:
People who had the F_ forms said that bio was easy, but I definitely didn't think it was easy. I thought that bio section must have been one of the hardest bio sections I have ever taken. I was getting extremely frustrated by the bio and orgo passages and that alone probably killed my score.

I agree -- frustrated. The orgo was beyond me, and in general it just wasn't like other BS sections I'd taken. Everybody is complaining about PS but ours was sort of normal, hard for me but that section always is. It was annoying that we had NO physiology on ours, whereas most practice tests I did had a ton of physio, especially hormones. Overall it was a crap section and I want to beat up AAMC for it. Hopefully I'll get over this hostility at some point :p (of course I also have to stop beating myself up over it...the ones I know I got wrong, that keep replaying in my head...hey, I knew that, why did I put the wrong answer!! etc. etc.)

VR kicked my ass, then proceeded to pick me off of the floor and do it again.

I'm thinking about pressing charges.

WS was a nightmare!!!

j/k :laugh:

I think PS was the hardest, followed by verbal, and then bio. Boy I had this one verbal passage on, like... "causality." Unnnhhh...

BOY am I getting restless tho'. I thought I could wait until June for the scores with no problems, but lately I'm beginning to fidget. I think the only thing that can cure this is video games! Im gonna buy me a PS2 and get started on some gaming... but I suppose I should finish the semester first! :oops:

BaylorGuy said:

I actually did press charges. Had to give a description of my assailant...you should see the composite, very mean looking.

If I never read anything about myth and/or mercury again in my life it will still be too much myth and mercury exposure for me!

For some reason, I thought PS was the easiest section. I normally do best on VR, but this test seemed backward to me in that respect. I had FM and everyone I know who had that form said the VR was cake. I, however, do not concur.

I can't believe that over a hundred people have voted! :eek:

BUMP for more votes. :D

ozzy said:
I actually did press charges. Had to give a description of my assailant...you should see the composite, very mean looking.

If I never read anything about myth and/or mercury again in my life it will still be too much myth and mercury exposure for me!

For some reason, I thought PS was the easiest section. I normally do best on VR, but this test seemed backward to me in that respect. I had FM and everyone I know who had that form said the VR was cake. I, however, do not concur.

I had FM. I agree with you about myth and mercury! But wait, we had a whole passage about the planet Mercury, right? lol....anyway I'm pretty sure it was experimental, because it had 10 questions and was from 2004. I do think it was a fairly easy VR, but that's my best section. How'd you like the BS???? :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps we should get Mulder & Skully from the X-files, along with The Law & Order Criminal intent unit to investigate the unbelievable disaster inflicted upon by the B versions by the PS section!! :laugh:

tigress said:
I had FM. I agree with you about myth and mercury! But wait, we had a whole passage about the planet Mercury, right? lol....anyway I'm pretty sure it was experimental, because it had 10 questions and was from 2004. I do think it was a fairly easy VR, but that's my best section. How'd you like the BS???? :eek:

i didn't think the verbal was that bad--but maybe that's because i fell for all the answer choices they put to trick you and i just answered that section super fast.
also, i was flying high on ANGER during VR due to my complete sob fest (yes outloud at the test center) following my PS disaster that i'm sorry, seemed to be not a **** thing to do with anything i had seen on the practice MCATs--even AAMC 8 was so much easier. yeah, i was so scared i had the person ready to void my exam--and then got a pep talk from a girl at my school, sat myself down, pulled myself up by my bra straps and said screw this, just take the damn thing.

whew, that was catharsis right there.

the BS is sort of a blur for me---i didn't think that the orgo was that bad but then again, maybe it's because i fell for all the trap answers again. woo.

happy thoughts and prayers is all i can do now.

tigress said:
I feel pretty good about the BS. There was a lot of o chem on it but it seemed pretty low level for the most part. I am also a good guesser which has come in handy on my practice tests. All in all, I feel that Kaplan very much prepared me for the PS and BS, but fell a little short for the VR in that I saw some questions unlike any we had talked about in class.

I do have to say however that the more time I spend poking around these forums the more freaked out I get about how well I'm going to score. :scared:

And in case I didn't mention it before, I hate mercury. (and myth)

I thought PS was the hardest, by far. My BS only had 2 orgo passages and 4 orgo discretes. Since I barely touched orgo, I was thrilled. I thought the other bio in it was way easier than normal. My V was pretty easy too. Though the weird social science passage with the variables totally threw me, and the warbler (bird) passage was hard too.

My PS didn't seem that much harder than other AAMC tests. I can't seem to break a 7 on it no matter how much studying I put in. :(

hahahaaa i knew it, the WS was going to be hell, practiced everyday...I will be happy if I get an N, :clap: wow I have 5 friends...I think WS will win in the long run.

tigress said:

BS WAS HORRIBLE....Tigress, it was from a 2004 mcat or published in 2004?

Wow I wish I knew about this forum BEFORE the actual Mcat. I had form BG and thought the verbal was the hardest. I finished it, just barely, but don't know if I got things right. PS started off really easy but then got hard - I had to basically guess on the refrigerator problem because I ran out of time. Bio was pretty reasonable and the Writing Sample prompts were amongst the easiest i've ever seen. Good luck everyone! :luck:

BaylorGuy said:

So true!!! I had the DG form. Both the passages and questions were extremely long winded. I swear some of the questions were 10-12 lines long. My A.D.D. would not let me deal. Surprisingly, I finished the section a couple minutes ahead of time. That has never happened for me before. Don't know if that's good or bad!!!