• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

Woodsy

S-D-N Blue Blood
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2003
Rosedale, Toronto
Visit site
Status
Ok guys, what was the hardest course you've ever taken in your life?

For me it was a course we had called psychobiology where we had to write 8 essays, each 10 pages + back in my first year.
Or

Calculus that involves lots of integration and polar stuff and the series and sequences.

gatorfan99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
U.S. Army
Status
Dentist
Physics 1 and 2 at the U. of Florida is INCREDIBLY hard. Class avgs are like 5 out of 20 for the exams... Our physics prof.s are notoriously bad also. Here's my list

1. Physics (1 and 2)
2. Organic 1
3. Organic 2
4. Biochem

gatorfan.

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
So far, Occlusion. Doing occlusal waxing in 4 colors and having to get contacts evenly distributed to within 12 microns is a pain in the butt anyway. Doing it as the second class of dental school, when you can barely tell a max. central incisor from the cusp of Carabelli, makes it even harder. ;)

About the Ads

swiminh2o

...bike and run
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
Status
I took a speech anatomy class with the most ridiculous prof I have ever had. Good researcher bad teacher. He spent most of his time telling jokes and gave incredibly hard tests. Part of the grade was attendence so I had to suffer going to class. Glad that one is over..........

Bullfan16

Certifiable Quad Streaker
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2004
Status
So far I would so financial accounting (originally I was a business major)...
A close second to organic chem 2 (it doesnt help that I took 2 courses in 12 weeks...both orgo 1/2)
I think any class you take really depends on a professor...it can be extremely challenging...yet if the professor is really good...it makes it easy to understand.

critterbug

I like big buttz. No Lie!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 13, 2003
yeeHa, Texas
Visit site
Status
molecular genetics followed by multivariable calculus

my1molar

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2004
philadelphia
Status
Zoology with all little details overlapping among organisms, plus...their names are hard to remember. I hate it to death.

Bickle

future NYC taxi driver
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2003
red sox nation
Visit site
Status
If I had to pick just one, I'd say organic chem. That class was a pain in the ass. Genetics was also a brutal class at my school. In our genetics lab, we had to map the genome of fruit flies by breeding them with each other. That was a disaster! :eek:

About the Ads

bryan45876

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2004
Purdue University
Visit site
Status
I'd say my hardest class has been Dynamics, or possibly Linear Circuit Analysis.

Calculus1

G.V. Black Fan
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site
Status
I would have to say my hardest class was college algebra. All those letters and numbers, it just got confusing.

MoCookiess

Hater of Biochemistry
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
Austin, TX
Status
Biochemistry, hands down. Although Cell Biology is definitely in second place.
I think I failed another Biochem test today. I cried for about two hours. I may have to do some retail therapy. I don't know what I'm going to do about chem.

Mo007

Gifted Hands
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Status
MoCookiess said:
Biochemistry, hands down. Although Cell Biology is definitely in second place.
I think I failed another Biochem test today. I cried for about two hours. I may have to do some retail therapy. I don't know what I'm going to do about chem.
A lot of schools are planning to make Biochemistry as a standard pre-requisite (CASE). Many schools already do have it as a pre-dental requirement (IUSD, Tufts... and others).

RaiderNation

Recently Reinstated
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
I'd have to say basic math. I got the addition and the subtraction down...but once we hit division, the whole class was lost. Glad that one is over...whew!

edkNARF

A is A
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2003
Philadelphia
Status
Dental Student
Believe it or not, the hardest class I ever took was a cooking class! It may not sound hard, but this is what some of the questions were like. If preparing profiteroles using standard pate a choux pastry, what type of flour should be used (a correct answer must include type of flour as well as protein content). What does it mean to "sweat a mirepoix?" What do recipes with unsalted butter call for salt? We also were given recipes for different breads and asked to identify the type of bread soley based on the recipes! The hardest part of the class was the final, we were given a list of ingredients 24 hours before class, and had to prepare a 4 course meal in 3 hours. The meal had to include: an appetizer (soup, salad, or hors f'oeuvres), a yeast risen bread, a roux thickened sauce, 2 proteins (salmon, beef, pork, or chicken), and a dessert. It was the HARDEST class I have ever taken. I have new respect for the culinary profession after taking that class.

Pontifex Maximus

Rads-a-palooza
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Analytical chem, which will be overlapped next semester by P-Chem, I'm sure.
edk, is it bad that I know most of that stuff through incessant Food Network watching? ulp :(

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
Physics was the toughest subject matter for me.

That, and a middle-English course.

About the Ads

edkNARF

A is A
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2003
Philadelphia
Status
Dental Student
Cozmosis. I took the class because I have always been a big fan of the food network. I thought the class was still hard, even after watching every episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown!

PS-Biochemistry and Physics were pretty hard too.

Awara

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2004
snowland, OH
Visit site
Status
For me it was Writing 121 and 221 which is a year sequence in college writing at my sachool. I hate writing and had to write 7 papers 10 page each on that. Also english is my second language but i still hate writing no matter what. the second has to Solid Mechanics.

UNLV OMS GUNNABE

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Dr. Canon, General Chem 105 at BYU. Definately the most challenging and rewarding class I have ever had to date. I have never worked so hard for a class, but it payed off. I ended up as a TA for the class later on (not to mention my DAT chem score).

D

deleted19731

O-Chem sucks, especially when you are like me. I am just a freshman and I have only had Chem I. Never should have taken it before Chem II. Oh, well I have an A so far.

I hope it stays that way. :cool:

bingpredent

est the break of dawn
15+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Status
Order of Difficulty:

1. Biochemistry
2. Inorganic Chemistry
3. Histology
4. Molecular Biology
5. Phys II
6. Calc II

Woodsy

S-D-N Blue Blood
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2003
Rosedale, Toronto
Visit site
Status
I took a Biochem and thought it was very easy. Diff people diff strengths.

But yeah calculus II is the hardest, than or psychobiology. i had nightmares about integration and polar coordinates and series...ahhh!

About the Ads

Thaxil

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2003
myrtle Beach, SC
Visit site
Status
Dentist
I took 3 quarters of Bio chemistry, Physical biochem, physical chem., genetics, comparative anatomy, animal physiology, and the D-school requirement; all of them being difficult. For me the most difficult class was endocrinology. Also for the classes mention, I needed to contend with a selected group of students called the bio-meds. These students are highly competitive only 30 of them are admitted into the 3 year of med school at UCLA after attend UCR.

captaintripps

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2003
connecticut
Visit site
Status
Physical Chemistry I&II : statistical mechanics, kinetics, free energy, quantum mechanics. Great professor though, learned alot.

Balki

The Perfect Stranger
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2003
NYC
Visit site
Status
BIOPHYSICAL CHEMISTRY

Prereq: ALL the chems, including Biochem, Physical chem I and II plus Calc III.and some other classes.
Well a complete hell!

preludexl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2001
Visit site
Status
Woodsy said:
Ok guys, what was the hardest course you've ever taken in your life?

For me it was a course we had called psychobiology where we had to write 8 essays, each 10 pages + back in my first year.
Or

Calculus that involves lots of integration and polar stuff and the series and sequences.

Thats we be yoga. Hot dang, I looked like a pretzel sometimes. Course, being the only guy in there helped. :smuggrin:

lovetractor

15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2004
Visit site
Status
In order from hardest to not quite as hard

1) Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics
2) Chem E. Kinetics
3) Applied Mathematics for Chemical Engineers

preludexl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2001
Visit site
Status
edkNARF said:
Believe it or not, the hardest class I ever took was a cooking class! It may not sound hard, but this is what some of the questions were like. If preparing profiteroles using standard pate a choux pastry, what type of flour should be used (a correct answer must include type of flour as well as protein content). What does it mean to "sweat a mirepoix?" What do recipes with unsalted butter call for salt? We also were given recipes for different breads and asked to identify the type of bread soley based on the recipes! The hardest part of the class was the final, we were given a list of ingredients 24 hours before class, and had to prepare a 4 course meal in 3 hours. The meal had to include: an appetizer (soup, salad, or hors f'oeuvres), a yeast risen bread, a roux thickened sauce, 2 proteins (salmon, beef, pork, or chicken), and a dessert. It was the HARDEST class I have ever taken. I have new respect for the culinary profession after taking that class.

Hrmmm, well I'm a dude who likes cooking. Sounds like a fun class. :D

preludexl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2001
Visit site
Status
noodletw said:
Biochem at UC Berkeley... especially when we had to memorize the structures of 20 amino acids and all of the various metabolic cycles + enzymes... it was hell :thumbdown:
Well, you had that coming. Seeing as 1/2+ the periodic table was discovered at Berkeley....Berkelium anyone (dunno if that's spelled right or not you chem geeks, don't flame me)? What was that famous guy's name? Seaborg? Seaborgium? :D

preludexl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2001
Visit site
Status
RaiderNation said:
I'd have to say basic math. I got the addition and the subtraction down...but once we hit division, the whole class was lost. Glad that one is over...whew!
There there, that's why God invented accountants. On the 8th day, he created accountants, who advised him 7 was better. He can deduct the 7th day for taxes and designate it nonprofit and take a rest.

snarlytooth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
Physics II, i definitely dont think i remember anything that i learned that semester. Electricity and magnetism just flew way over my head..

Dentin068

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2004
NY
Status
Physics.....I just plain stunk at it. I didnt even pull good grades in both semesters. I made up for it in my Bio classes.

dentist2008

UF class of 2008
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2003
Tallahassee, FL
Status
I would have to say my worst classes so far have been biochemistry and organic II. the biochem class was so boring, it was the first class ever that I actually took a nap in. Immunology is also kicking my butt but that might be more because i don't have any motivation to study anymore.

D

deleted31120

Zoology----> hands down, instructor insisted on teaching the class "OLD SCHOOL" ---> no notes only suggested textbooks from which you can make your own notes, lab covered about 40- 50 specimens which needed to be dissected viewed under the microscope and drawn on white sheets of paper, with labels and descriptions - all in 4 hours by the end of the semester 7 people remaining

critterbug

I like big buttz. No Lie!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 13, 2003
yeeHa, Texas
Visit site
Status
Dool said:
Zoology----> hands down, instructor insisted on teaching the class "OLD SCHOOL" ---> no notes only suggested textbooks from which you can make your own notes, lab covered about 40- 50 specimens which needed to be dissected viewed under the microscope and drawn on white sheets of paper, with labels and descriptions - all in 4 hours by the end of the semester 7 people remaining
Whoa....that does sound bad!! :thumbdown:

About the Ads