• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Hardest subject you ever taken?

Woodsy

S-D-N Blue Blood
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2003
Rosedale, Toronto
Ok guys, what was the hardest course you've ever taken in your life?

For me it was a course we had called psychobiology where we had to write 8 essays, each 10 pages + back in my first year.
Or

Calculus that involves lots of integration and polar stuff and the series and sequences.

gatorfan99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
U.S. Army
  1. Dentist
Physics 1 and 2 at the U. of Florida is INCREDIBLY hard. Class avgs are like 5 out of 20 for the exams... Our physics prof.s are notoriously bad also. Here's my list

1. Physics (1 and 2)
2. Organic 1
3. Organic 2
4. Biochem

gatorfan.

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Dentist
So far, Occlusion. Doing occlusal waxing in 4 colors and having to get contacts evenly distributed to within 12 microns is a pain in the butt anyway. Doing it as the second class of dental school, when you can barely tell a max. central incisor from the cusp of Carabelli, makes it even harder. ;)

About the Ads

swiminh2o

...bike and run
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2003
I took a speech anatomy class with the most ridiculous prof I have ever had. Good researcher bad teacher. He spent most of his time telling jokes and gave incredibly hard tests. Part of the grade was attendence so I had to suffer going to class. Glad that one is over..........

Bullfan16

Certifiable Quad Streaker
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2004
So far I would so financial accounting (originally I was a business major)...
A close second to organic chem 2 (it doesnt help that I took 2 courses in 12 weeks...both orgo 1/2)
I think any class you take really depends on a professor...it can be extremely challenging...yet if the professor is really good...it makes it easy to understand.

Bickle

future NYC taxi driver
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2003
red sox nation
If I had to pick just one, I'd say organic chem. That class was a pain in the ass. Genetics was also a brutal class at my school. In our genetics lab, we had to map the genome of fruit flies by breeding them with each other. That was a disaster! :eek:

About the Ads

MoCookiess

Hater of Biochemistry
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
Austin, TX
Biochemistry, hands down. Although Cell Biology is definitely in second place.
I think I failed another Biochem test today. I cried for about two hours. I may have to do some retail therapy. I don't know what I'm going to do about chem.

Mo007

Gifted Hands
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
Columbus, OH
MoCookiess said:
Biochemistry, hands down. Although Cell Biology is definitely in second place.
I think I failed another Biochem test today. I cried for about two hours. I may have to do some retail therapy. I don't know what I'm going to do about chem.
A lot of schools are planning to make Biochemistry as a standard pre-requisite (CASE). Many schools already do have it as a pre-dental requirement (IUSD, Tufts... and others).

edkNARF

A is A
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2003
Philadelphia
  1. Dental Student
Believe it or not, the hardest class I ever took was a cooking class! It may not sound hard, but this is what some of the questions were like. If preparing profiteroles using standard pate a choux pastry, what type of flour should be used (a correct answer must include type of flour as well as protein content). What does it mean to "sweat a mirepoix?" What do recipes with unsalted butter call for salt? We also were given recipes for different breads and asked to identify the type of bread soley based on the recipes! The hardest part of the class was the final, we were given a list of ingredients 24 hours before class, and had to prepare a 4 course meal in 3 hours. The meal had to include: an appetizer (soup, salad, or hors f'oeuvres), a yeast risen bread, a roux thickened sauce, 2 proteins (salmon, beef, pork, or chicken), and a dessert. It was the HARDEST class I have ever taken. I have new respect for the culinary profession after taking that class.

About the Ads

edkNARF

A is A
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2003
Philadelphia
  1. Dental Student
Cozmosis. I took the class because I have always been a big fan of the food network. I thought the class was still hard, even after watching every episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown!

PS-Biochemistry and Physics were pretty hard too.

Awara

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2004
snowland, OH
For me it was Writing 121 and 221 which is a year sequence in college writing at my sachool. I hate writing and had to write 7 papers 10 page each on that. Also english is my second language but i still hate writing no matter what. the second has to Solid Mechanics.

UNLV OMS GUNNABE

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2004
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Dr. Canon, General Chem 105 at BYU. Definately the most challenging and rewarding class I have ever had to date. I have never worked so hard for a class, but it payed off. I ended up as a TA for the class later on (not to mention my DAT chem score).

About the Ads

Thaxil

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2003
myrtle Beach, SC
  1. Dentist
I took 3 quarters of Bio chemistry, Physical biochem, physical chem., genetics, comparative anatomy, animal physiology, and the D-school requirement; all of them being difficult. For me the most difficult class was endocrinology. Also for the classes mention, I needed to contend with a selected group of students called the bio-meds. These students are highly competitive only 30 of them are admitted into the 3 year of med school at UCLA after attend UCR.

preludexl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2001
Woodsy said:
Ok guys, what was the hardest course you've ever taken in your life?

For me it was a course we had called psychobiology where we had to write 8 essays, each 10 pages + back in my first year.
Or

Calculus that involves lots of integration and polar stuff and the series and sequences.

Thats we be yoga. Hot dang, I looked like a pretzel sometimes. Course, being the only guy in there helped. :smuggrin:

preludexl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2001
edkNARF said:
Believe it or not, the hardest class I ever took was a cooking class! It may not sound hard, but this is what some of the questions were like. If preparing profiteroles using standard pate a choux pastry, what type of flour should be used (a correct answer must include type of flour as well as protein content). What does it mean to "sweat a mirepoix?" What do recipes with unsalted butter call for salt? We also were given recipes for different breads and asked to identify the type of bread soley based on the recipes! The hardest part of the class was the final, we were given a list of ingredients 24 hours before class, and had to prepare a 4 course meal in 3 hours. The meal had to include: an appetizer (soup, salad, or hors f'oeuvres), a yeast risen bread, a roux thickened sauce, 2 proteins (salmon, beef, pork, or chicken), and a dessert. It was the HARDEST class I have ever taken. I have new respect for the culinary profession after taking that class.

Hrmmm, well I'm a dude who likes cooking. Sounds like a fun class. :D

preludexl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2001
noodletw said:
Biochem at UC Berkeley... especially when we had to memorize the structures of 20 amino acids and all of the various metabolic cycles + enzymes... it was hell :thumbdown:

Well, you had that coming. Seeing as 1/2+ the periodic table was discovered at Berkeley....Berkelium anyone (dunno if that's spelled right or not you chem geeks, don't flame me)? What was that famous guy's name? Seaborg? Seaborgium? :D

preludexl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2001
RaiderNation said:
I'd have to say basic math. I got the addition and the subtraction down...but once we hit division, the whole class was lost. Glad that one is over...whew!
There there, that's why God invented accountants. On the 8th day, he created accountants, who advised him 7 was better. He can deduct the 7th day for taxes and designate it nonprofit and take a rest.

dentist2008

UF class of 2008
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2003
Tallahassee, FL
I would have to say my worst classes so far have been biochemistry and organic II. the biochem class was so boring, it was the first class ever that I actually took a nap in. Immunology is also kicking my butt but that might be more because i don't have any motivation to study anymore.

D

deleted31120

Zoology----> hands down, instructor insisted on teaching the class "OLD SCHOOL" ---> no notes only suggested textbooks from which you can make your own notes, lab covered about 40- 50 specimens which needed to be dissected viewed under the microscope and drawn on white sheets of paper, with labels and descriptions - all in 4 hours by the end of the semester 7 people remaining

critterbug

I like big buttz. No Lie!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 13, 2003
yeeHa, Texas
Dool said:
Zoology----> hands down, instructor insisted on teaching the class "OLD SCHOOL" ---> no notes only suggested textbooks from which you can make your own notes, lab covered about 40- 50 specimens which needed to be dissected viewed under the microscope and drawn on white sheets of paper, with labels and descriptions - all in 4 hours by the end of the semester 7 people remaining

Whoa....that does sound bad!! :thumbdown:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.