Hardship essay topics...help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bored_Conscious

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for my optional essay for TMDSAS. Please let me know which one you guys prefer.

1. I was a DACA student. I enrolled at a university but had to withdraw my first semester because my parents were given the opportunity to let me go back to my home country and get a green card. If my application wasn't approved at the U.S. embassy of my home country, I would have been unable to come back to the States and would have had to adjust to a completely new way of life. Luckily, I was able to get approved and came back to the U.S. with a green card.
  • Issue: This could be a good essay, however, I am a bit disconnected from this entire experience. I didn't really notice my lack of citizenship and didn't really understand the concept of being undocumented during my childhood. I'm embarrassed to admit, but even during high school, I didn't really take notice even though my parents would constantly bicker about it and would throw thousands of dollars at immigration lawyers to help get this sorted out.
2. I was diagnosed with IBD my junior year of high school. It was a difficult diagnosis with a lot of trial and error. I am now blessed to have been in remission for so long. I know I can write a strong essay about this topic.
  • Issue: Clearly, the most obvious issue is I am discussing a chronic illness. I am worried that adcoms will view it negatively. I purposely did not include it in my personal statement (I intended on including it initially. However, after some pondering, not including it made it a stronger essay because it allowed me to reflect on why I wanted to be a physician more).
3. My parents were immigrants and they eventually established a successful business. However, after a series of misfortunate events, we lost our business and ended up losing a lot of money and being in debt half way through high school until now. This made me realize the privilege I had and just how much more difficult it can be for those who are in a more difficult situation.
  • Issue: I realize there are many more people in worse situations than me. I went from going on vacations relatively frequently, to worrying about whether or not my parents would be able to pay their mortage and my rent. They want me to do well in school and working full-time would not have made it possible for me. I work part-time and pay for everything else. I just don't want to seem like I'm reaching for hardship circumstances when I'm clearly not doing terribly. (I have an apartment, don't ever go hungry, only work part-time, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
2 looks best to me. It is more personal to you, and your experiences with inflammatory bowel disease are relevant to your application. These experiences will hopefully make you empathic and able to relate to patients with chronic illness.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response Goro. I agree with you.

I actually prefer 1 over 2 simply due to my concern that there may be some bias with my condition.

For the hardship essay, do I have to be able to show that it would make me a better physician? For example, my diagnosis with IBD allows me to be more empathetic and understanding of the struggles associated with a new diagnosis. But being a DACA student...I can't think of how it would help me be a better physician. I could obviously write about how it helped me mature, grow, and see new perspectives (which is useful for a physician) but I don't see how this experience directly impacts my patient-care.

2 looks best to me. It is more personal to you, and your experiences with inflammatory bowel disease are relevant to your application. These experiences will hopefully make you empathic and able to relate to patients with chronic illness.
I know I could write a good essay on this. I'm just too concerned about the bias that some adcoms may have.

I know I could write a good essay on this. I'm just too concerned about the bias that some adcoms may have.
I think it can be difficult to give the appropriate amount of weight to somewhat that was so impactful without it taking over the essay which can make it hard for the paper to hit the right tones at the right times. I wouldn't worry about bias, a solid MCAT/GPA should qualm any fear over this impacting your ability to succeed in med school. Just make sure the paper is not about any singular event but about the journey you've taken how it has not only led you to this point but continues to be a strong driving force for future change.

Reactions: 1 user
1 and 2 are the best ones.

For DACA you can always talk about how you can better understand the perspective of patients that are undocumented, underserved, or also DACA recipients, your difficulties with institutions and how it helps you understand why people in your situation might have a distrust for them etc.

For IBD obviously you can write about your personal experiences.

What is the exact prompt? Is it about how your life experience will make you a better doctor or is it about a hardship you experienced that set you back compared to peers, or is it something else?

I know from personal experience with family members that there is a strong anti-immigrant sentiment in Texas and I would not be surprised if it is present in otherwise open-minded adcom members there. For that reason, I'd be a bit hesitant to identify as a person who had been, at one time, undocumented and living in the US.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the exact prompt? Is it about how your life experience will make you a better doctor or is it about a hardship you experienced that set you back compared to peers, or is it something else?

I know from personal experience with family members that there is a strong anti-immigrant sentiment in Texas and I would not be surprised if it is present in otherwise open-minded adcom members there. For that reason, I'd be a bit hesitant to identify as a person who had been, at one time, undocumented and living in the US.
Per the TMDSAS handbook:

"The optional essay is an opportunity to provide the admissions committee(s) with a broader picture of who you are as an applicant"

Optional Essay: "Briefly discuss any unique circumstances or life experiences that are relevant to your application which have not previously been presented."

Jeez...well isn't that a bummer. Super frustrating that there is just so much bias that is involved with the admissions process. First I was concerned about my IBD and now I can't even rely upon my back-up due to fears that some Texan adcom will have negative sentiments towards those who were previously undocumented.

Thanks for your response Goro. I agree with you.

I actually prefer 1 over 2 simply due to my concern that there may be some bias with my condition.

For the hardship essay, do I have to be able to show that it would make me a better physician? For example, my diagnosis with IBD allows me to be more empathetic and understanding of the struggles associated with a new diagnosis. But being a DACA student...I can't think of how it would help me be a better physician. I could obviously write about how it helped me mature, grow, and see new perspectives (which is useful for a physician) but I don't see how this experience directly impacts my patient-care.
Not everything in your application has to be about medicine.

The point of the prompt is to Simply demonstrate your Grit and resilience. These are factors that you will need to survive medical school

Reactions: 3 users
UNIQUE life experiences that are RELEVANT to your APPLICATION that have not been previously presented.

First, this is optional. Second, this is asking you to finish this sentence, "To put my application in context, I'd like the committee to know about a unique situation I experienced...."

I know of a DACA student who had tremendous success in the Northeast. I also know that some residents of Texas have animosity toward undocumented folks. I don't want you to be naive to this fact. I hope that adcoms are more open-minded than the average Texan but I would not disclose your past immigration status if you don't have to.

• Love
UNIQUE life experiences that are RELEVANT to your APPLICATION that have not been previously presented.

First, this is optional. Second, this is asking you to finish this sentence, "To put my application in context, I'd like the committee to know about a unique situation I experienced...."

I know of a DACA student who had tremendous success in the Northeast. I also know that some residents of Texas have animosity toward undocumented folks. I don't want you to be naive to this fact. I hope that adcoms are more open-minded than the average Texan but I would not disclose your past immigration status if you don't have to.
Thank you for bringing this up. I didn't actually think about the possibility of controversy regarding my previously undocumented status.

What do you think about an essay discussing chronic illness? Of course, I will focus on how it has helped me grow and how it will benefit me as a future physician.

If anything, I'll have to keep thinking about a unique life experience that could be applied to my application.

You don't need an optional essay. Better to have nothing in that slot than to have something that is a waste of time to read.

That essay is there if there is something, particularly if it influenced your college career or the trajectory of your education that adcoms should take into account. If you missed a year of school due to surgeries, or if you delayed starting college to care for a dying family member while the rest of the family worked to save their small business, then a description of those circumstances would help put your application in context. ("why is there a gap before/during college?") Some students have extraordinary circumstances that caused a drop in GPA and a period of disengagement from usual activities (family member killed, home burned in a wildfire, etc) .

If you have something unusual to tell the committee and that will provide an explanation for a path that was a bit complicated, then use that space but don't use it if you don't have something that the committee needs to know.

Reactions: 3 users
You don't need an optional essay. Better to have nothing in that slot than to have something that is a waste of time to read.

That essay is there if there is something, particularly if it influenced your college career or the trajectory of your education that adcoms should take into account. If you missed a year of school due to surgeries, or if you delayed starting college to care for a dying family member while the rest of the family worked to save their small business, then a description of those circumstances would help put your application in context. ("why is there a gap before/during college?") Some students have extraordinary circumstances that caused a drop in GPA and a period of disengagement from usual activities (family member killed, home burned in a wildfire, etc) .

If you have something unusual to tell the committee and that will provide an explanation for a path that was a bit complicated, then use that space but don't use it if you don't have something that the committee needs to know.
I realize that on paper it is optional, however, it seems there is a belief amongst TMDSAS applicants that this optional essay isn't so optional. Maybe that is pre-med neuroticism...

I have another essay topic that I may be able to use for unique circumstance/life experience
  • My parents were immigrants who opened a donut shop when they came to U.S. In order to make fresh donuts, they had to wake up at 1:00 a.m., work until 12:00 p.m. and then sleep by 6:00 p.m. This resulted in me having to learn how to be self-sufficient (cooking, packing for school, etc.) at a young age and it explains a lot of my independence today.
  • On a related note, I could also write about my parents lack of fluency in English. I essentially had to translate every document, travel with them for any business related situation, etc. I could talk about what this taught me and how I grew from this etc. (Feel like this is a pretty standard immigrant experience however)
Would this work?

Being a kid who had to assume responsibility at an early age because parents were working and sleeping on an odd schedule and running a small business is a somewhat unique circumstance. That you had the role of interpreter for your parents is not as unusual but it could be an added example of the responsibility laid on your shoulders from a young age. Does that give a more complete picture of you as an applicant that we would not otherwise see? I don't know the Texas application but this might flesh things out a bit more beyond birthplace, languages spoken, etc.

Being a kid who had to assume responsibility at an early age because parents were working and sleeping on an odd schedule and running a small business is a somewhat unique circumstance. That you had the role of interpreter for your parents is not as unusual but it could be an added example of the responsibility laid on your shoulders from a young age. Does that give a more complete picture of you as an applicant that we would not otherwise see? I don't know the Texas application but this might flesh things out a bit more beyond birthplace, languages spoken, etc.
Yes, I believe it should help build a more complete picture. Thank you for your help!!

This is for my optional essay for TMDSAS. Please let me know which one you guys prefer.

1. I was a DACA student. I enrolled at a university but had to withdraw my first semester because my parents were given the opportunity to let me go back to my home country and get a green card. If my application wasn't approved at the U.S. embassy of my home country, I would have been unable to come back to the States and would have had to adjust to a completely new way of life. Luckily, I was able to get approved and came back to the U.S. with a green card.
  • Issue: This could be a good essay, however, I am a bit disconnected from this entire experience. I didn't really notice my lack of citizenship and didn't really understand the concept of being undocumented during my childhood. I'm embarrassed to admit, but even during high school, I didn't really take notice even though my parents would constantly bicker about it and would throw thousands of dollars at immigration lawyers to help get this sorted out.
2. I was diagnosed with IBD my junior year of high school. It was a difficult diagnosis with a lot of trial and error. I am now blessed to have been in remission for so long. I know I can write a strong essay about this topic.
  • Issue: Clearly, the most obvious issue is I am discussing a chronic illness. I am worried that adcoms will view it negatively. I purposely did not include it in my personal statement (I intended on including it initially. However, after some pondering, not including it made it a stronger essay because it allowed me to reflect on why I wanted to be a physician more).
3. My parents were immigrants and they eventually established a successful business. However, after a series of misfortunate events, we lost our business and ended up losing a lot of money and being in debt half way through high school until now. This made me realize the privilege I had and just how much more difficult it can be for those who are in a more difficult situation.
  • Issue: I realize there are many more people in worse situations than me. I went from going on vacations relatively frequently, to worrying about whether or not my parents would be able to pay their mortage and my rent. They want me to do well in school and working full-time would not have made it possible for me. I work part-time and pay for everything else. I just don't want to seem like I'm reaching for hardship circumstances when I'm clearly not doing terribly. (I have an apartment, don't ever go hungry, only work part-time, etc.)
Number 1 seems like it shows adversity. Although it may turn some admin off.

Number 2 seems lame to me. It's such a common and IMO silly theme..."I want to be a doctor bc I suffered from xyz".

Number 3 is a stretch.

If it’s an optional essay, then a short and sweet statement (not story) could be useful: saying that you have had the life experience of a DACA recipient and as a result are equipped to meet the needs of a similar patient population. particularly for Texas applications

I watched our ADCOM do their work for 15 years. They were diligent, compassionate, generous of spirit, honorable, and dedicated. I would not be concerned with bias. They are looking for the next generation of physicians, not casting political votes. Do a gut check and go with the story that can beat define any hardships that may have pressed in upon you to build your character, reveal your resilience, and define your compassion for others who have experienced difficulties in their lives. Be you - as no one else can.

Reactions: 2 users