hartnup vs. fanconi syndrome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

majik1213

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
would someone mind telling me whether you can distinguish these two conditions based solely on renal consdierations? I know hartnup's disease is a condition where the PCT cannot reabsorb neutral amino acids, but can a fanconi syndrome patient also be unable to reabsorb neutral amino acids? how do you know when to choose one over the other?

Members don't see this ad.

would someone mind telling me whether you can distinguish these two conditions based solely on renal consdierations? I know hartnup's disease is a condition where the PCT cannot reabsorb neutral amino acids, but can a fanconi syndrome patient also be unable to reabsorb neutral amino acids? how do you know when to choose one over the other?

My guess (this is entirely a guess, so I'm sure someone will come and correct me) is that for Fanconi's, they'd probably give you more than just the amino acid problem, since it involves inability to reabsorb a lot of stuff.

Yes to what Guy says, but also Fanconi is caused by a variety of factors including Lead poisoning and sucking on expired Tetracyclines.

Hartnup tends to be more congenital so more likely to be seen in neonates as opposed to kids that live in an old apt building with Burton's lead lines, lead deposits in bone, abd pain, and AMS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes to what Guy says, but also Fanconi is caused by a variety of factors including Lead poisoning and sucking on expired Tetracyclines.

Hartnup tends to be more congenital so more likely to be seen in neonates as opposed to kids that live in an old apt building with Burton's lead lines, lead deposits in bone, abd pain, and AMS.

What is AMS?

My guess is with Hartnup disease you'd mostly see the effects of niacin deficiency only (pellagra), whereas with Fanconi syndrome everything will be just out of whack (hyponatremia, hypoglycemia, acidosis, etc.) since nothing gets reabsorbed at the PCT.