Harvard 2007 2ndary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneDayDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else just get this?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah: See the Secondaries that are already out (07) :thumbup:

OneDayDoc said:
Anyone else just get this?

Yeah, just got it bout 30 minutes ago. They say they're sending out secondaries due to high requests or something. I sense a record year in applications, and that doesn't sit well with me unless they plan on increasing their entering class size :(

Members don't see this ad :)
CaramelDlite said:
Yeah, just got it bout 30 minutes ago. They say they're sending out secondaries due to high requests or something. I sense a record year in applications, and that doesn't sit well with me unless they plan on increasing their entering class size :(

They may be. AAMC demanded a 30% increase in enrollment. It's the oldest school in the country and, say or think whatever you like, the school that's moved science and medicine in ways that need not be described here. It wouldn't be silly to imagine for a moment that they are taking some initiative. But it wouldn't be sound to start placing bets just yet.

Did anyone else notice that the directions given in the Word document sent by e-mail state that a letter of evaluation must be submitted by every research supervisor that an applicant has had? I hadn't requested a letter from both of my PIs; I just had one of them write one to be used by my school's premed committee.

Did this catch anyone else off guard?

I guess I have to scramble to get that other LOR now, just for Harvard.

dimebag darrell said:
Did anyone else notice that the directions given in the Word document sent by e-mail state that a letter of evaluation must be submitted by every research supervisor that an applicant has had? I hadn't requested a letter from both of my PIs; I just had one of them write one to be used by my school's premed committee.

Did this catch anyone else off guard?

I guess I have to scramble to get that other LOR now, just for Harvard.

Yeah, it's a little annoying. The only real research I've been involved with has been clinical, but I suppose I still need to get a letter written by the surgeon.

Guess that means I'm not going to be complete at Harvard until September when my last research LOR comes in. Seems odd that non MSTP students should have to give letters from every PI.

Yeah, that is a pain. I applied this past cycle to HMS, and I had to get a letter from my PI just for that reason. It was pretty annoying, but I guess for the #1 ranked research school...

Also, HMS does have an unusually large class of 165. Schools like Yale, Hopkins, and Stanford (especially), have much smaller class sizes, and I think the AAMC is looking at schools like those when they talk about increasing enrollment.

XildUpNawth said:
http://hms.harvard.edu/admissions/default.asp?page=researchapply

It says in the "Reseach Letter FAQs" on the HMS website that a committe letter will completely satisfy the letter requirements. Do you suppose this means that you don't have to submit a letter from each research supervisor if you're submitting a committe letter? Completely is completely, right?
That's the way I interpret it.