Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Harvard 2007 2ndary

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by OneDayDoc, Jul 27, 2006.

1. OneDayDoc

OneDayDoc Member

Pre-Medical
    Anyone else just get this?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah: See the Secondaries that are already out (07) :thumbup:

4. CaramelDlite

CaramelDlite Academic Gangsta

Pre-Medical

Yeah, just got it bout 30 minutes ago. They say they're sending out secondaries due to high requests or something. I sense a record year in applications, and that doesn't sit well with me unless they plan on increasing their entering class size :(

5. TheCybermen

Medical Student
    They may be. AAMC demanded a 30% increase in enrollment. It's the oldest school in the country and, say or think whatever you like, the school that's moved science and medicine in ways that need not be described here. It wouldn't be silly to imagine for a moment that they are taking some initiative. But it wouldn't be sound to start placing bets just yet.

6. dimebag darrell

Did anyone else notice that the directions given in the Word document sent by e-mail state that a letter of evaluation must be submitted by every research supervisor that an applicant has had? I hadn't requested a letter from both of my PIs; I just had one of them write one to be used by my school's premed committee.

Did this catch anyone else off guard?

I guess I have to scramble to get that other LOR now, just for Harvard.

7. Looque

Looque Bob Loblaw

Medical Student
    Yeah, it's a little annoying. The only real research I've been involved with has been clinical, but I suppose I still need to get a letter written by the surgeon.

8. Caristra

Medical Student
    Guess that means I'm not going to be complete at Harvard until September when my last research LOR comes in. Seems odd that non MSTP students should have to give letters from every PI.

9. top

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, that is a pain. I applied this past cycle to HMS, and I had to get a letter from my PI just for that reason. It was pretty annoying, but I guess for the #1 ranked research school...

Also, HMS does have an unusually large class of 165. Schools like Yale, Hopkins, and Stanford (especially), have much smaller class sizes, and I think the AAMC is looking at schools like those when they talk about increasing enrollment.

10. XildUpNawth

XildUpNawth Member

Medical Student
    http://hms.harvard.edu/admissions/default.asp?page=researchapply

It says in the "Reseach Letter FAQs" on the HMS website that a committee letter will completely satisfy the letter requirements. Do you suppose this means that you don't have to submit a letter from each research supervisor if you're submitting a committee letter? Completely is completely, right?

11. bretticus

bretticus Neuroradiology fellow

Resident [Any Field]
    That's the way I interpret it.