Harvard ($400k COA, all loans) vs. WashU (full-tuition merit scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

syntheticG43

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I also received full-tuition merit scholarships from Northwestern and UChicago, but WashU is a bit more prestigious/impressive and I generally just preferred it to NW and UChicago.

HMS is HMS. Enough said. But I'm wondering if it is worth the $300-400k difference in price. Can anyone offer insight? I don't have any physicians in my family so I don't really have anyone to go to for advice on this decision.

Members don't see this ad.

WashU and it’s not close. On 400k at 6% you would be paying nearly 3400 a month for 15 years. That is a mortgage payment in some areas.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Going to Wash U (or U Chicago/Northwestern) is the financially sound choice. It is a great school (albeit not in a great area of town) and your education there will be comparable to Harvard, but a lot cheaper. Also, Boston is super expensive and super cold. I know, I lived there for over 2 years. Congratulations on your success this cycle! You have amazing options.

Reactions: 1 users
Going to Wash U (or U Chicago/Northwestern) is the financially sound choice. It is a great school (albeit not in a great area of town) and your education there will be comparable to Harvard, but a lot cheaper. Also, Boston is super expensive and super cold. I know, I lived there for over 2 years. Congratulations on your success this cycle! You have amazing options.
Have you been to the campus? WashU is in CWE, which is one of the nicest parts of the entire city and right beside Forest Park lol

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats on your options! WashU will treat you well and you’ll go so far.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you been to the campus? WashU is in CWE, which is one of the nicest parts of the entire city and right beside Forest Park lol
Whoops, my bad. I think I was thinking of Johns Hopkins for some reason. Thanks for the correction :)

Unless money is no object to you, WashU is the sound choice.

IMO “full tuition merit scholarship at WashU” looks better than “Harvard med student” on a residency app

WashU. Economics are important. Be in the top 20 of your class at WashU and you most likely will get whatever residency you want.

Go to WashU and work hard, you will end up in the same place as if you attended HMS. Enjoy St. Louis!

WashU…It’s a really great school, and Harvard is not worth 400k over it imo.

Harvard will probably have you less stressed and more networking/opportunities outside medicine, but full tuition is hard to pass up. I'd go with WashU with this one unless your parents will pay for everything.