flaming_gypsy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2003
Sto. Dgo.
Visit site
Status
sorry if this has already been asked before, but i don´t have all that much internet time to search through the threads.

i´m going to med school next year, probably mayo clinic, but am planning on doing an mph between my third and fourth years. i am also considering harvard and duke for med school. how difficult would it be to get into harvard´s mph for international and population health as a med student? would i have a significant advantage coming from harvard med school as compared to mayo? i´m trying to figure out if harvard would be worth the extra 160k for slightly better suiting my interests.

also, i´ve noticed mayo doesn´t have a huge epidemiology or global-geographic medicine department. does anyone know about public health opportunities at the mayo clinic for a med student?

thanks.

betshsu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
Status
You should also make sure that you can even apply to the Harvard MPH program while still a med student. The Harvard MPH is geared towards professionals and may in theory require that you already have a professional degree (they might make exceptions for their med students). Just a thought.

EMApplicant

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
i did the harvard mph between the 3rd & 4th years of med school. highly recommend it.

OP
F

flaming_gypsy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2003
Sto. Dgo.
Visit site
Status
yeah, i think that{s what i{ll probably do...time off between third and fourth years to do an mph. that will hopefully give me the best of both worlds.

i was talking to my parents the other day, and they were trying to explain to me that if i went to harvard and paid for 5 years there i{d come out with tons of debt, but if i go to mayo for my md and harvard for my mph i{ll maybe have 30k in debt.

it seems like for the md, training mayo is probably better because of the specialized 1 on 1 attention you get, but i am also pretty sure that after getting my md/mph i{ll choose to do more health policy type stuff. so that could bump the advantage to harvard for all 5 years. not to mention i would be happier in boston than in rochester.

if the money wasn{t an issue, i{m pretty sure i would choose harvard. but money is important.

basically the only thing i want to make sure of is that if i went to mayo for med school there would be adequate opportunities to do research in years 1 to 3 in some public health field like epi or international health. if there will be those kinds of opportunities, even if limited, then i{ll feel much better about picking mayo for my md i think.

guarana

like a bird on the wire..
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2005
Status
EMApplicant said:
i did the harvard mph between the 3rd & 4th years of med school. highly recommend it.
hi guys--
i'm interested in something similar (mph b/w years 3 & 4, maybe) i don't know, i'm not even sure what i want to do yet residency-wise but public health is something i have a real interest in pursuing and i think the knowledge would be of importance no matter what i do.

EM--were you at harvard med or a different med school? how did you work things, can you speak more about your experience, applying, etc etc...and returning as an M4, and so on.

it's nice to know others are considering this also...i don't know, im not sure if i'm idealizing this but i just think taking a year off to pursue an mph might give me the opportunity to step back and get a better perspective from the tunnel vision of medical school. thoughts?

pedsid

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2004
Status
That's what I'm doing next year ... and I'm not coming from the Mayo clinic either ... I'm coming from a small state school. I haven't heard from Harvard, but I have heard from Hopkins. My advice would be to go to med school where you want ... Mayo is awesome and cheep if you are in state. You won't have a hard time getting into a good MPH program from Mayo, especially if you are active in student groups AMA ... do some international med work if you can.

Bottom line ... if I can get into Hopkins from a no-name state school ... you could certainly get in from Mayo.