Harvard and OMM/OMT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
shrug. what exactly do they teach at a 3 day thing. 50 physicians. i dunno, doesnt seem to mean so much to me.

Harvard is not "anti-DO" at all. In fact, many MD institutions are recruiting DOs for guest lectures and weekend courses. Far from what they would learn in DO school but there is a demand for this type of education from the students and, more importantly, from the patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
JPHazelton said:
Harvard is not "anti-DO" at all. In fact, many MD institutions are recruiting DOs for guest lectures and weekend courses. Far from what they would learn in DO school but there is a demand for this type of education from the students and, more importantly, from the patients.

True; not many, if any at all, schools exist that are "anti-DO" and the only people that really seem to have a problem with it are the ones that have not learned much about the art itself.

P.S. JPHazleton, aren't you supposed to be doing research today!? Get off SDN! :laugh: :laugh:

Jamers said:
True; not many, if any at all, schools exist that are "anti-DO" and the only people that really seem to have a problem with it are the ones that have not learned much about the art itself.

P.S. JPHazleton, aren't you supposed to be doing research today!? Get off SDN! :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah...I suppose I should go get some work done.

Thanks

:D

This thread reminded me of this thread here with almost exactly the same title:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=163989&page=1&pp=25

I had a chance to slightly help out and attend the intro day to the Harvard course, so my exposure was mostly to the intro and some discussion about somatic dysfunction and diagnosis. There seemed to be a mix of MD's, chiropractors, and other medical professionals. The support staff was mostly from UNECOM and the Harvard/Spaulding PM&R residents who were DO's. It seemed to be received fairly well with a lot of good demonstrations. Unfortunately, I did not get to stick around due to my rotation.

The PM&R department of Harvard seems to be the major player in promoting OMT within the system.. and from talking to a few students, it seems like they are aware of it, but just don't know very much because most have absolutely no exposure to it. From what they said, HMS students don't even get a ton of hands-on time with physical examination skills... one student mentioned that it was expected that he would learn them on his ortho rotation (although he spent most of his time in the OR).

The director of the PM&R pain fellowship at Harvard has been very interested in OMT and the current pain fellow is a former teaching fellow from NYCOM, so hopefully there will be continued interest and growth.

At any rate, a 3 day weekend course will give you a certification at the most, but it's a start if someone has the motivation to continue taking courses, finding mentorship, and practicing. Doctors can practice whatever they want (OMT, accupuncture, surgery, etc.) although they will be held liable for whatever specialty they trained in.