Harvard decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mph2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After I submitted my application to Harvard, I received a mail regarding financial aid. I haven't heard from them after that. How does one log into the Harvard system..I mean do they send another mail regarding PIN etc...Should be patiently waiting for them to give access to their system ?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're talking about financial aid, you need to create your own PIN using the ID they gave you in that email. Go to http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/myfinaid and click on "First Time User" to create your PIN. Don't wait! It's due February 5th.

If you're talking about admissions decisions, I'm pretty sure they will email or snail mail us (around March) with the decisions.

thanx dime..sorry for not being clear..i meant admission decisions...I thought Harvard posts its decision online...just like opus for emory..that's why i was trying to find out username/pin etc..

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll get 2 separate emails, one w/ a login the other with the password to their decisions web page, probably in early March.

Anyone else out there holding there breath for Harvard?

YES.
grad cafe has had interesting responses - but apparently no one has actually heard from harvard yet. WHY are they the last? and does anyone know if it's through snail mail or email?

...ok according to above through email. yikes.

I'm also waiting for Harvard.... regularly checking email and websites. It's a long process.

Does anyone know when Harvard's open house is?

march 26 - basically same day as about 10 others schools'

Thanks! I know I'm totally jinxing myself by asking that since I haven't been accepted yet...but oh well. :)

Has anyone obtained an alternative track after not getting their initial MPH track at HSPH?

Word on the street (from an HSPH faculty member) is that notifications go out this week and the next.

Good luck ederbody!:banana:

Word on the street (from an HSPH faculty member) is that notifications go out this week and the next.

Thanks for the update- it seems like no matter what the decisions ends up being, a lot of people on this board have gotten into some great programs and have a lot to be excited about.

Members don't see this ad :)
[Deleted]

Last edited:
Rejected .... MPH in Global Health.

I'm so disheartened>>>> I wish they could tell me WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Noneleft....you can call admissions on Monday and ask what could make your application stronger. Most schools are happy to speak with you. I called the school I was waitlisted at and they had no problem discussing my application with me.

Does anyone know how funding works for the SD degree?

Does anyone know how funding works for the SD degree?

Depends on the department, but it is soft funded and most people don't receive real funding. However, they often do receive some sort of tuition waiver (1/4 to full).

For all 5 years or just the first 2?

For all 5 years or just the first 2?

Depends on the department again. Mine (SHDH) said you should be out by 4--very few people take longer or finish early and I was told not to "count" on getting merit scholarships once I was in--that is, if you get in with no funding from the department, you should assume you have to look for external funding for all four years there.

thanks - i was accepted for epi but it just seems like a huge $ commitment if there is minimal funding available

Am so happy!!

Accepted, Global Health MPH @ HSPH - notified by e-mail today
Still waiting and hoping, JHSPH

Background: MBBS, MRCP, working as a doctor (ICU) in Kuala Lumpur, previously in some district hospital in Borneo.

Am I the only Malaysian in this forum?

Thanks :D to everybody in the forum - it is really a lifeline for us international students. All this 1-2months of waiting has been a horrible experience - but knowing that I'm not the only waiting and stressed has been really helpful.

I received my acceptance yesterday to SPH, Law & Public Health track via email. Yay! Decision was in the email -- there was no password/PIN for the admissions website.

My timeline, for future applicants: all materials submitted to SOPHAS on 12/15/09 (original early action deadline), SOPHAS mailing 1/9/10, decision 2/27/10.

Congrats to everyone who was accepted so far & good luck to those still waiting!

Congratulations to all who got accepted. I also received an email yesterday, Saturday with offer of admission - MPH with concentration in Occupational and Environmental Health. This is so exciting! :soexcited: All material submitted by the HSPH deadline, with SOPHAS mailing on Dec 8, revised date Dec 16, decision Feb 27, 10

Congrats to everyone who heard back already and got accepted, and best of luck to all of those who are still waiting.

Has anyone heard a decision yet who applied to the quantitative methods MPH? Has anyone else even applied to that program? I've been reading the forum pretty closely and haven't heard it mentioned at all.

Congrats everyone! If you don't mind me asking, what time did your decision e-mails come in?

I got my e-mail Saturday afternoon. They just gave me my financial aid package a couple hours ago. All loans :( so I'm probably not going.

Congrats to everyone who heard back already and got accepted, and best of luck to all of those who are still waiting.

Has anyone heard a decision yet who applied to the quantitative methods MPH? Has anyone else even applied to that program? I've been reading the forum pretty closely and haven't heard it mentioned at all.

I've applied to Quantitative Methods too, haven't heard anything from them yet.

Last edited:
I got my e-mail Saturday afternoon. They just gave me my financial aid package a couple hours ago. All loans :( so I'm probably not going.

Am I correct in assuming that Harvard gives 0 or nearly 0 merit-based scholarships? I thought that was the general notion and that financial aid would always be strictly loans. No free money.

Yeah, I got a similar financial aid package last night.

I was under the assumption that scholarships were pretty limited so I wasn't too surprised.

I suppose it comes down to how much you think a Harvard education is worth.

Will it pay off in the long run to have a degree from Harvard, even if will have lots of loans to pay off, or is it better to go to a different program where you would have less loans?

Unless you are getting full tuition offers from other programs, I would still consider Harvard.

So are we assuming that if we didn't receive an email from Harvard on Sat that a rejection letter is in the mail making its way to us?

So are we assuming that if we didn't receive an email from Harvard on Sat that a rejection letter is in the mail making its way to us?

Some people did receive reject email though. I am hoping that's not the case, unless somebody confirms it by calling HSPH.

Thats what I am assuming

I don't think there's any reason to assume that all acceptances would be sent out on the same day. From reading these message boards, it appears that schools tend to release decisions over time. Also, certain departments may reach decisions before others, and different degree categories may be decided at different times. Unless anyone has facts to demonstrate that Harvard is different, I will presume that they will issue more acceptance notifications over the next several days. What did they do last year?

Just called the admission office, they said the acceptance will be sent in the coming days and weeks. I asked whether those of us who did not receive any email on Saturday should be waiting for rejection letter, he said no because acceptance emails are still being processed.

Phew. I want to go to Harvard, so badly. I am losing my appetite waiting for their emails.

Last edited:
I noticed some changes were made to the GPA calculations by SOPHAS last week. I assumed one of the universities which admitted me corrected that calculations. Keeping my fingers crossed that Harvard was the one who corrected the gpa calculations. <--- the delusional and hopeful me.:(

Just called the admission office, they said the acceptance will be sent in the coming days and weeks. I asked whether those of us who did not receive any email on Saturday should be waiting for rejection letter, he said no because acceptance emails are still being processed.

Phew. I want to go to Harvard, so badly. I am losing my appetite waiting for their emails.

Thank you! I'm grateful for your having called, and for posting this information.

Hi all,

I'm just trying to clarify some points here. I read somewhere on this websites that harvard would send decisions on Fridays so last friday I called the admission office because I hadn't received anything. The guy there took my last name and checked his computer and told me that my file was currently being reviewed and that I should except a email on the 5th or 12th of march. Then he checked again and told me definitely the 5th actually.
So I'm resting a little easier and can't wait for this friday. Now the question that I have is that: are they sending rejections on the 5th or what?

Hi all,

I'm just trying to clarify some points here. I read somewhere on this websites that harvard would send decisions on Fridays so last friday I called the admission office because I hadn't received anything. The guy there took my last name and checked his computer and told me that my file was currently being reviewed and that I should except a email on the 5th or 12th of march. Then he checked again and told me definitely the 5th actually.
So I'm resting a little easier and can't wait for this friday. Now the question that I have is that: are they sending rejections on the 5th or what?

I called them. They said my application is under review and I will know the result in Mid March.

I know somebody who already got accepted to my program. And as I browsed through acceptances and rejections from last year at gradcafe, those who received their results in mid march tend to get rejection letter.

Hmmm.

After checking the patterns of acceptance and rejection from last year (google gradcafe), I started to feel like "your application is still under review" is another euphemism for rejection.

Most students who were accepted received acceptance emails in late February and those who received emails in the first and second weeks of March tend to receive rejections, except for one case of a student who received acceptance to Global Health SD in mid March (again google gradcafe).

I have put my heart and soul into this application but Harvard was not impressed. It's devastating but I am not going to prolong this pain by keep augmenting my hope. I assumed I have been rejected and it's time to wipe away the tears and move on.

I received fellowship somewhere else using almost the same personal statement I used for Harvard. So, not everything is lost.

Good luck for other Harvard hopefuls. Enjoy Boston if you made it to Harvard.

Last edited:
Hey NYC, cheer up! =)

There was an acceptance to the Policy And Management masters program, too, on March 6th, 2009! Not to mention the e-mail response you received to your inquiry of whether the rest of us should be expecting rejections: "no because acceptance emails are still being processed."

Thanks Werd814. Went for a walk with friends for a change. They should release the acceptance/rejection results on the same day for every program. That way nobody would spend hours in front of the computer concocting thousands ifs and buts.

Thats what I am assuming

You guys are really giving me a panic attack. Here I'm trying to convince myself that the Quantitative Methods offers just haven't gone out yet. Anyone heard from this program? I'm very, very close to calling them...

I was accepted to the SM in Society, Human Development, and Health. My professors have been telling me that Harvard is more inclined towards research while other public health schools (like UMich, UNC) are more concerned with practice, which is what I want to do. UNC is giving me a substantial award, so I don't feel so bad turning down Harvard's $100K loan offer lol.

Here I'm trying to convince myself that the Quantitative Methods offers just haven't gone out yet. Anyone heard from this program? I'm very, very close to calling them...

I applied to QM and haven't heard yet either. Noone else on this board (or any of my friends who are applying to schools of public health) have mentioned QM, so I'm not sure if any decisions have gone out.

I'm sure we'll hear sooner or later, but let me know what you find out if you end up calling them!