Harvard Decisions 2008!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wowwywowwow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just wanted to get a thread started for the upcoming March decisions. Does anyone know when decisions will be released?

Good luck to you all!:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to know too. I'm nervous :scared:

Oh mine! the waiting is the terrible part of this process.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know when second look weekend is (assuming there is one)?

If you look in the other Harvard thread, they pointed out that the Harvard financial aid office website came online last night. People then said that around the 12th or so of last year, the could find out early by seeing what response they got when they tried to log in, i.e. contact the office or error.

Originally Posted by DulyNoted
Nobody could actually log in earlier.

https://itwwebs.med.harvard.edu/FinA...%2fpghome.aspx

But they have noticed in years past that accepted people get different messages than those that are rejected or waitlisted.

Something like: Login failed = rejected and "information not yet available. Please contact FA office" = accepted.

.I checked last year though, and someone made a post on March 12th saying it said "login failed" and then a post on march 14th saying it said "please contact FA office."

So that means if people were using a back door on the 12th, decisions must have come out a little after that.

So my guess is around the 15th-20th? But thats a guess.

The wise thing would be to just call Harvard!

According to an HMS 1st-year student, revisit is the weekend of April 11 for 2008.

According to an HMS 1st-year student, revisit is the weekend of April 11 for 2008.

the wait is so painful, but its nice to think that months of waiting are boiling down to just a few more weeks at the most. :luck: to everyone!

March 20th?!? Was that info from the admissions office? I wonder why their website states the following:

Does Harvard Medical School have a rolling admissions policy?

The Committee of Admissions does not have a rolling admissions policy. Decisions are made in late February, and all applicants are mailed final decisions in the first week of March.

Hiya folks! I called the Admissions Office today, and they said admissions decisions would be sent out between mid-March and the end of March. I believe the website that posted that decisions would be mailed out the first week of March is a bit outdated...it's kind of a general info page anyways.

So...the waiting goes on... :scared:

Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats a long time wait....probably at least 3 weeks. And if this week already feels slow....well its gonna be a long long time. I don't think there are enough episodes of Scrubs (even counting this new ify season) to kill all that time =D

Mail, big envelope = acceptance. The time frame has been discussed above.

If I were an adcom, I would advocate snail mailing rejections in big envelopes. Imagine the surprise on the person's face, upon seeing a big envelope from their dream school, smiling ear-to-ear as they run into the house to tell their loved ones that they've been accepted. Only to open the envelope and read,

"Dear Fisko,

We regret to inform you [...]

Sincerely,
Dr.________

PS: PWNED"

It'd be funny, yet cruel. Good thing I'll never be an adcom :laugh:

If I were an adcom, I would advocate snail mailing rejections in big envelopes. Imagine the surprise on the person's face, upon seeing a big envelope from their dream school, smiling ear-to-ear as they run into the house to tell their loved ones that they've been accepted. Only to open the envelope and read,

"Dear Fisko,

We regret to inform you [...]

Sincerely,
Dr.________

PS: PWNED"

It'd be funny, yet cruel. Good thing I'll never be an adcom :laugh:
Please pardon my ignorance, but what does PWNED mean?

Please pardon my ignorance, but what does PWNED mean?

ROFLCOPTER. I love internet forums frequented by people who aren't internet savy.

It means owned.

Edit: I like your avatar, btw, Walt Whitman is 1337.

Received acceptance package AFTER rejection letters were received last year. Also, CHECK THE FINANCIAL AID LOOPHOLE (do a search). You check the Financial Aid webpage, and you get an answer of something like "you're not in the system" (bad) or "information not available yet" (good). My understanding was that everyone who got the good message got accepted last year. It has been going on for years, but maybe they changed it. Who knows...

Received acceptance package AFTER rejection letters were received last year. Also, CHECK THE FINANCIAL AID LOOPHOLE (do a search). You check the Financial Aid webpage, and you get an answer of something like "you're not in the system" (bad) or "information not available yet" (good). My understanding was that everyone who got the good message got accepted last year. It has been going on for years, but maybe they changed it. Who knows...

This loophole doesn't work until near when the acceptances are mailed out right?

Shoot, I'm about to hit 1000 posts.

According to legend, in the 2006 cycle, the loophole was discovered as applicants who were to be later admitted found they could sign on to the financial aid website completely. Those not admitted could not sign on at all. In the 2007 cycle, those to be admitted received a strange log-in message (I don't remember what off the top of my head) while those not to be admitted received an "error - data does not exist" message or something like that. I think the admissions office caught wind of this and the site was shut down for a few days, and when it came back on, there was no loophole. As for this year, there's no telling what to expect, but I have a feeling we might have to do things the old-fashioned way and just wait for the mail to come.

These days the word surge kinda makes me sick.

Known fact: SDN forums make time go slower. I cut myself off for a week and my quality of life improved (yet I'm here again).

Here's to getting to know each other for the next few weeks. :luck:

Someone in another thread indicated that Harvard has interviews through early March this year:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=494559

Unfortunately, I'm driving myself crazy waiting to hear. I was so good about not getting worked up or expecting anything before the interview, but now I keep replaying my interviews in my head and switching between manic hope and protective cynicism. Oh joy, a whole month of this to look forward to...

Anyone else feel like they'd want to wait for the official letter and not use the loophole, even if it does work? It seems like a better option psychologically, if you can bear the few extra days waiting. I think knowing in advance would blunt the joy of an acceptance.

Anyone else feel like they'd want to wait for the official letter and not use the loophole, even if it does work? It seems like a better option psychologically, if you can bear the few extra days waiting. I think knowing in advance would blunt the joy of an acceptance.

It would also blunt the pain of a rejection. I'm glass half empty over here.

Plus it will put an end to the anxiety.

2 vs. 1 = check early.

Has anyone tried the financial aid site? Just curious

Has anyone tried the financial aid site? Just curious

So I didn't get an interview (i.e. rejection). I went ahead and checked the financial aid site and got: Your login failed. We could not validate either your Student ID or your PIN.

I suggest forgetting about the status page for now. HMS is still interviewing, so none of us will be notified until mid to late March as they said.

If there is a problem with the website for the third year in a row, which may not be the case, it will not be apparent until at least 2 or 3 days before the first decisions are received in the mail. Class data will be entered into the computer systems just before they send the letters in mid to late March. This is how it happened last year and the year before that.