Harvard Dental School Acceptees Profiles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let me get this thread back to the reason it was started. A buddy from my school got in, and you'll see why. GPA-4.0 Major-Biology, Biochemistry, and Chemistry(B.S., not B.A.)...and finished in 4 years. DAT was 24. However, the main reason they wanted him was due to his RESEARCH, duh, in analytical chemistry. Needless to say, he wasn't impressed with the facilities, and instead chose his state school. I've heard they put a lot of emphasis on research.

Members don't see this ad.

Slash said:

Seems the only way to criticize harvard is to say that the tuition is outrageous. But most people don't realize that harvard (and some other ivy league schools) have amazing financial aid programs. If you can prove that your family is poor you'll get serious support. And if you can't prove that you family is poor, your family probably has money and you shouldn't be bitching about money anyway. The only bad situation is if your family has money and they refuse to support your education. That sucks, but it's probably a somewhat rare circumstance.

Harvard might not be for everyone. But people who go out of their way to trash this school are bitter..

Harvard Gazette said:
Harvard's financial aid program provides 70 percent of undergraduates with some form of financial aid, and nearly 50 percent receive grant assistance averaging over $26,000 annually (ranging from $500 to more than $37,000, depending entirely on need). "The average family income of a grant recipient is $90,000 and 1,300 families with incomes greater than $100,000 receive a grant, including 274 with incomes above $160,000," said Director of Financial Aid Donahue. Harvard will distribute almost $105 million in financial aid to undergraduates this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
ECUMuscle said:
However, the main reason they wanted him was due to his RESEARCH, duh, in analytical chemistry.
Yes, I'm sure it had nothing to do with a 4.0GPA and a 24 DAT.

ECUMuscle said:
I've heard they put a lot of emphasis on research.
Well then, case closed.

bedlam, good luck to you! i wish i had stats like yours. I'll do my best this junior year, and i'll still apply to Harvard. but i am more realistic about columbia or upenn. i think what separates ivy league from podunk u, besides the awesome research opportunities, is the student body.

Honestly, its good to be ambitious but I just want to get in somewhere. Harvard would be great to get into and sound really swell to the county boys, but really I could never afford it. Overall we have the same goal and simple school rivalries should not become us. Also those face icon things are real cool and tough lets keep useing them in heated discussion.

SuperTrooper said:
Seems the only way to criticize harvard is to say that the tuition is outrageous. But most people don't realize that harvard (and some other ivy league schools) have amazing financial aid programs. If you can prove that your family is poor you'll get serious support. And if you can't prove that you family is poor, your family probably has money and you shouldn't be bitching about money anyway. The only bad situation is if your family has money and they refuse to support your education. That sucks, but it's probably a somewhat rare circumstance.

Harvard might not be for everyone. But people who go out of their way to trash this school are bitter..

That is true -- and plus (if you do your research) Harvard's tuition is less than most other private schools.

"The tuition at HSDM is $35,790 for the 2005-06 academic year for both DMD and AGE programs. The total estimated cost for a first-year DMD student including room and board, health insurance and other fees is approximately $55,000 (for ten months)."

thats a lot less than I am going to pay.

onetoothleft said:
That is true -- and plus (if you do your research) Harvard's tuition is less than most other private schools.

"The tuition at HSDM is $35,790 for the 2005-06 academic year for both DMD and AGE programs. The total estimated cost for a first-year DMD student including room and board, health insurance and other fees is approximately $55,000 (for ten months)."

thats a lot less than I am going to pay.

The price tag at Harvard is pretty reasonable, but cost of living in Boston is steep. However, when the Sox and the Pats won that would have been a pretty cool time to be in the city.

Harvard is a good school, but it wasn't for me.

btw I did NOT have a 4.0/25 or any research experience at all; I am not a minority and I was accepted. Sometimes, it comes down to the interview, and whether they happen to like you or not.

From what I remember most of the people at the H went to pretty solid undergrads, but I don't think that is a requirement by any stretch.

Like anything there are no guarantees, numbers may get you an interview but in the end its all a crap-shoot.

Numbers are not all that get you an interview. When I applied in 03, I had a 25 DAT and a 3.85 in Neuroscience with research experience. I didn't get an interview. It's not always a numbers game. But it's ok. Once you guys get into a school, no one really cares about this stuff.