Harvard dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that in Harvard Dental you don't get as much clinical experience? This is coming from a couple of people I know that graduated from BU dental. They say that it is because being Harvard it is geared toward research rather than practical training.

Members don't see this ad.

Harvard is geared 100% towards specializing. My undergrad friend from last year was accepted to Harvard but chose not to go there simply because he wanted to do general dentistry.

That makes perfect sense when you look at their stat. Very high GPA and high DAT score. I wonder how many dental students graduated and went into specialty.

What else are their selecting criteria?

Members don't see this ad :)
34/35 went to specialty school last year as told to me by a second year.

Is there anyway to find out what the breakdown was for those 34 that did go on to specialize? How many did endo, ortho, perio, etc...?

We are required to do a research project and present it, while most schools don't require any. Many people including dentists think the focus of Harvard is research as it was previously a five year program including one year of research. Now it is 4 years. In my opinion the school has no goal of producing "Great Clinicians" or "Stellar Researchers", rather it provides incredible resources for students to see and reach their potential in whatever field of dentistry they love. Anyway, I will be there the next four years so feel free to ask me anything.

Bcat,

Do you mind sharing what is your GPA and DAT scores?

thanks

Originally posted by Bcat
We are required to do a research project and present it, while most schools don't require any. Many people including dentists think the focus of Harvard is research as it was previously a five year program including one year of research. Now it is 4 years. In my opinion the school has no goal of producing "Great Clinicians" or "Stellar Researchers", rather it provides incredible resources for students to see and reach their potential in whatever field of dentistry they love. Anyway, I will be there the next four years so feel free to ask me anything.

many of you guys end up at forsyth working with me :) well for the summer at least...

DAT 20/21

GPA 3.77

If you want to know anything else let me know

Approximate specialty breakdown for last year's class (from a friend, so may not be 100% accurate, since I can't remember verbatim):

4 OMFS (UNC, Penn, Houston, and UCLA; 6-year)
8 Endo
11 Ortho
3 Prosth
7 Perio
1 GPR
1 Private Practice

Even if these numbers aren't exact, the real ones were pretty close.

Bcat,

Since Harvard requires students to perform research, it must obviously be important. I looked for DDS/PhD programs on the Harvard website but did not find any. Does one exist?

I'm sorry about the misunderstanding. I did not say anywhere in my post that research is "not important". I was attempting to dispell a stereotype, which I think is incorrect, that all you do at HSDM is research. One semester of research vs 2 years clinic.....which is emphasized more? Anyway, as AJMacgregor posted, most graduates from Harvard Specialize. The research portion of the curriculum helps them get into the programs they choose. I am not exactly sure about the PhD programs. I think it is a five or six year program as opposed the traditional seven year pgm. I will find out an pm you anxiousone.