Harvard Extension school class reviews (principles of genetics & cell biology)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsomerthonia

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first time on sdn! I'm thinking of taking some upper division biology classes at HES and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the classes, principles of genetics or cell biology. I'm deciding between these two classes and was wondering if anyone could tell me about their experience. Are these classes curved? Are they more difficult compared to the intro science classes? How do they compare to each other in difficulty? Were your professors sufficient and did you feel prepared for the tests? Any info is useful because I couldn't find any website that had class reviews!

Members don't see this ad.

I do know that you’re not going to get any kudos for taking a Harvard extension class, so what’s the point?

Did I state anywhere in my question that I was going to get kudos for going to HES? At the end of the day, HES is cheap, accommodates a 9-5 job, and I live in the area so why wouldn't I take a few classes to finish premed requirements and get my gpa up? I really don't care about the Harvard name if that's what you're alluding to

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did a DIY post-bacc at Harvard Extension and overall had a good experience for the reasons you mentioned- flexibility of class times, reasonable cost, etc. I did not take cell bio but I did take principles of genetics. I took it with one other neurobio course while working full time and was able to get good grades w/consistent studying. The prof was a little wacky (in the typical professor way) but the TA was super helpful and I think the exams were curved. I also think there were 3-4 exams, so you have breathing room for a less than stellar exam grade

Thank you so much! I'm doing a DIY post-bacc right now lol...kinda nervous going into it but this was really helpful!

Reactions: 1 user
I took cell bio with the two female professors (the Allisons). They alternate presenting the class.

One of them is sharp as a whip and very responsive, the other kind of has her head in the clouds and comes across more as a shy high schooler than a STEM PhD. I'm sure she knows her stuff, but she's very tentative and slow in answering students' questions.

The material is very cool - centers on transport of various molecules, reproduction, the proteins that give structure to and arrange objects within the cell, etc. They focus a bit on cancer, because that's what the research.

You write two big papers and IIRC have two big tests. The papers are not actual research papers, but they're based on your ability to read research papers, to structure them, to cite, etc. Essentially you'll write one paper based on a pre-set format and then one mini literature review.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone took Immunology at HES? The grade is based pretty much on just a midterm and a final. You miss anything, you can kiss your grade goodbye.
I find that the class lack direction on what you need to know as a concept, and what you need to know as fine detail.
Any light that can be shone on how the midterm and the final goes would be great.