Harvard Extension School HCP, 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted615211

I didn't see a 2017-2018 thread, so I figured I'd start one.

Who's taking molecular bio next semester with Alain Viel?

Also good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I was always curious about HES and whether they actually checked when applying if you owed money to another school? Does anyone know if they actually check or not?

I have no idea but I also really doubt it. You register for classes, no application and pay for the class right then. Think Amazon checkout. Then you show up for the class.

That's great. Does that include when registering for the degree programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I am from LA area CA. I am planning to start a Master at Harvard extension school.
I read through the website on the programs, but I have so many questions. I emailed the program, have not heard back yet.
How will I Start the program? who should I contact? When should I start?
Is there a cheap housing or apartment that is near the campus?

Thanks

Hi everyone, I am from LA area CA. I am planning to start a Master at Harvard extension school.
I read through the website on the programs, but I have so many questions. I emailed the program, have not heard back yet.
How will I Start the program? who should I contact? When should I start?
Is there a cheap housing or apartment that is near the campus?

Thanks

You just enroll in classes like you would for community colleges. It starts at Fall and Spring and you can take summer classes through HES/the college.

Boston housing situation is very similar to LA housing. Many college students + popular city = expensive housing. The homeowners/apartment owners know they have the control of the market. Be prepared to pay the broker's fee (usually equivalent to 1 month worth of rent unless you know someone).

Be prepared to pay $1500-1700/month for a decent studio in Cambridge/Somerville. You can get away with $800 if you have roommates.

Also, HES Masters =/= Harvard FAS Masters. If you do get master's its ALM not SM or AM degree they usually award from the graduate school.

You have to take 3 classes and a special expo class and get a certain GPA while maintaining B or better grade in all classes.

Majority of the students here are post-bacc pre-med students followed distantly by full-time students trying to earn certificate/masters for career advancement and occasionally some students who take classes for enjoyment.

You just enroll in classes like you would for community colleges. It starts at Fall and Spring and you can take summer classes through HES/the college.

Boston housing situation is very similar to LA housing. Many college students + popular city = expensive housing. The homeowners/apartment owners know they have the control of the market. Be prepared to pay the broker's fee (usually equivalent to 1 month worth of rent unless you know someone).

Be prepared to pay $1500-1700/month for a decent studio in Cambridge/Somerville. You can get away with $800 if you have roommates.

Also, HES Masters =/= Harvard FAS Masters. If you do get master's its ALM not SM or AM degree they usually award from the graduate school.

You have to take 3 classes and a special expo class and get a certain GPA while maintaining B or better grade in all classes.

Majority of the students here are post-bacc pre-med students followed distantly by full-time students trying to earn certificate/masters for career advancement and occasionally some students who take classes for enjoyment.

Thanks so much for these information

Thanks so much for all these great information! I am planning do the pre med thing as well!

hey aasen002,

I just wanted to let you know that info cannot be accurate anymore. I've been accepted just a couple of weeks ago and I had completed about half of the prereqs when I was in undergrad.

Hey everyone! I just applied to the program and was looking for some information. As someone who has already completed some of the medical school pre reqs., I was looking for more of an "academic/application" enhancing post bacc. before I finally apply to medical school (the sponsorship chance is also really appealing). The Harvard extension School premedical program is always listed as a "record Enhancer" type program and on the actual programs website it says "Whether you are changing fields and need to complete all prerequisite coursework, or you are looking to strengthen your academic record, you'll find a rigorous experience with the opportunity to earn sponsorship in this selective program."

However I had seen a couple people around these message boards saying they were denied from the program if they'd even completed a single pre-req. already (although all of these claims were from almost 8 or 9 years ago). Is this still the case or does the program admit people who have already taken some of the pre-reqs.? Thanks

Hey Aasen002,

I just got accepted this week (applied in Jan) and I only have about 4-5 courses I need to take before I finish my pre-med requirements. So I agree with the above post that your pre-reqs do not determine your acceptance to the program. Your undergrad GPA I think matters a lot for the program, but I might be wrong. On the website, it says the average person takes 20-30 credits worth of courses when they are enrolled in the program, so that would mean to me that most individuals in the program have taken at least a single or a few pre-reqs before they enter the program!

I imagine the Harvard extension premed program could definitely be an application enhancer as long as your grades are good in the program.

Hey everybody, I got the official acceptance letter in the mail today so I'm pretty stoked. Has anybody else received such a letter? They give instructions on how to register as well, since I'm starting classes in the fall I believe I don't begin registering for classes until mid-July. this is killing me I'm dying to see to what classes they officially have to offer lol

Hi I am also looked in Harvard Extension post-bac program.

Does any body know how good this program is?

How it is viewed by other medical programs and what is ranking for this program among post-bac programs?

Compare to other post-bac pre-med programs out there how good is this program?

Does anyone know if we are able to take regular Harvard classes while in the Harvard Extension program?

I believe there is an option for degree seeking Extension students, who are generally not pre-med postbac students doing the HCP, to take regular Harvard College classes. I don't know remember the program name, but if I recall correctly, if students maintained a 3.5+ in the Extension School, they could take 1-2 regular Harvard classes.

You can take Harvard summer classes, which are also open enrollment, but I believe the grades still show up on your Extension school transcript.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Hey so I finally arrived in Boston for work, and although it's kind of early, I think it might be a good idea to get to know one another before classes began in August. If anyone wants to meet up, feel free to pm me. Btw, you can find me at Harvard or MGH most days

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile