Harvard HST and New Pathway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the differences between the programs, and, after considering both, decided to apply to the new pathway. However, in filling out the secondary it seems that you can apply to both for the one application fee. Does anyone know more about this? If you apply to both will they schedule your interviews the same day? Can you be admitted to both or is it assumed that HST is your first choice?

I have the calc/physics/etc and am legitamitly interested in HST, just curious if anyone out there is in the same boat? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished it...easiest 75 bucks I ever wasted!!!
I figured it's a long shot and I have all the background for HST but I wasn't in the mood to apply to the HST program. I just did new pathway. I doubt I will ever hear from harvard ever again anyways...well, except for when my confirmation about letters of rec come and then the next day the rejection notice hits my mailbox.
Oh well...
75 bucks....
FLUSH!!!!!!!!

I find your confidence refreshing and breath-taking to behold. C'mon, you can do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have accessed the application, did you get some kind of email or anything from Harvard stating that they got your name or your AMCAS app?

I cant login and wondering why. Harvard isnt using alternate procedures are they?

Under hours worked during each undergrad year did you put hours per week or total hours worked for the whole year?

baylor21, I can't login either. I called Harvard and the guy said to wait for a mailing from Harvard first, and then if you still can't login to call again. So that's what I'm going to do, since hearing that this secondary is online and takes about 3 minutes to complete, I'm not gonna worry about it.

I just checked and was able to log in so I did and completed it - all of 5 minutes. I couldn't decide about the hours so wrote #/wk e.g. 20/wk. I was not about to start calculating the exact number of weeks I worked.

BTW - I did NOT get an email, but it matched my name to my AAMC and SS# used to log on.

GL

Originally posted by coop:
•I know the differences between the programs, and, after considering both, decided to apply to the new pathway. However, in filling out the secondary it seems that you can apply to both for the one application fee. Does anyone know more about this? If you apply to both will they schedule your interviews the same day? Can you be admitted to both or is it assumed that HST is your first choice?

I have the calc/physics/etc and am legitamitly interested in HST, just curious if anyone out there is in the same boat? thanks•

You have nothing to lose by applying HST as well as New Pathway. Is there a separate essay? There was last year. HST is for students who are more basic science oriented and has a more traditional curriculum with quite a bit of lecture time. New Pathway features problem based learning and limited lecture time. Two different styles of learning... you'll have to decide which is best for you. As for interviews, they attempt to schedule them the same day, but I know applicants who had interviews two separate days. Of course we were applying MD/PhD, so that consisted of additional interviews and might have affected scheduling.

did any of you who filled out the application pay by credit card? did you get an email confirmation that your card was billed? I submitted my payment by credit card but did not get a confirmation. Just checking to see if anyone else did. Thanks.

I got a credit card payment confirmation about a minute after I submitted. The site says something to the effect of: if you don't receive confirmation in 15 minutes to contact them.

GL

so....i take it that there's no essay for the harvard secondary? :D

Is HST really challenging for its attendants?

It's only two years worth of basic science lectures?

I have a hard time imagining 4.0 students from top hard science/engineering programs not being able to do the first two years of medical school within a years time frame and then spending that second year doing a major biomedical engineering project/initiatives.

Originally posted by Ai:
•Two quick questions about the online app:

1. Did you leave the spaces for each letter writer's name blank if they are coming as individual letters, but in a packet from your undergraduate school?

2. I know that my pre-med advisor sends a cover letter with our packet of letters of rec but I think it is a generic letter that is sent with everyone's packet. The Harvard app says "Premedical Committee Evaluation" letter. Is this something that is individualized for each applicant? Do any of you have a pre-med committee that does an evaluation?

Yes, the premed committee packet refers to a composite evaluation that is tailored for each applicant.

From your message, you do not have such a system at your school, so I would list out your individual recommender's names.

My premed committee utilizes up to 8 individual recommendations from profs, supervisors, etc and then interviews the applicant.

Based on the interview and the letters of rec (along with GPA, MCAT, personal knowledge of teh applicant, etc) the committee writes a composite letter of evaluation.

Thanks for the quick response. I like that system much better than just sending in a bunch of letters that I've never seen!