Harvard HST/New Pathway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katiep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just received the Harvard secondary invitation. I'm trying to decide to which M.D. program I should apply. My application clearly shows that I'm new technology oriented: computers and medicine type of thing. I have all the requirements (math through differential equations, etc.), my GPA is on par, but not my MCATs: 4 points too low. HST accepts 30 students, New Pathway 135.

Even though I don't stand a chance in either,
are my chances even worse for HST? I can't seem to find stats that separate the two. Do they differentiate strongly?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you aware that you can apply to both with no extra cost?

I'm not sure if that makes you look somewhat unfocused in the adcom's eyes however.

Harvard is super tough to get into no matter how you look at it. So, if you would definitley be happier in one program over the other, then just do it.

I wouldnt preclude applying to HST just because they accept fewer students. If you get accepted New Pathway you may always wonder 'what if'

Just depends on what you want to do. Would you be significantly happier in an HST style curriculum? Then apply only HST. Or, if you think you would be happy in both, then apply to both.

what do you mean your mcats are 4 points too low--what is required? what is average for the HST program vs. the new pathway. regardless, their letter the mcat scores they accept have a range including the national average (8).

Members don't see this ad :)
baylor21:
That's good news. I wasn't aware that there was no extra cost. I'm tight on cash. I'll call them tomorrow to see if there is a disadvantage in applying to both. I definitely favor HST, but I'd be ecstatic in the New Pathway as well.

petros:
1999 stats:
average GPA: 3.7
average MCAT scores were:
Verbal-10.49
Physical Science-11.68
Biological Science-11.75

Total ~34, I'm way below that. I don't seem to find anywhere a breakdown in GPA/MCATs for HST vs. New Pathway. I'll ask tomorrow when I'll call.

Thanks both for your answers.

katiep, i think petros's point is not what the averages are, but rather that people CAN get in with much lower mcats. average of 34 means that many people below a 34 got in, if you like the program/both programs, just go for it, you'll never know unless you try

Katie,

I agree with coop. Take my case for example. I'm applying to Harvard HST and I only have a 31 MCAT. Not only that, but I'm applying MD/PhD there as well.

Although its not stated anywhere, I figure the average MCAT for Harvard HST MD/PhD is probably around 36-38. Needless to say, I'm WAY below their average.

But I'm going to apply anyways. For me, its worth the cost to find out I'm not good enough for them.

I can handle applying and getting rejected, but what I CAN NOT handle is not applying and then wondering some day 'what if'.

Go for it, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.