Harvard: HST vs. Pathways (also do I add PhD?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NapoleonBonaparte

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope to continue my computational neuroscience research at HMS and am wondering if Pathways or HST would let me enjoy my research more. I love the quantitative bent of HST, but I also much prefer learning/reading on my own and conducting research over doing homework problems, which I assume Pathways will give more freedom to do so. What are your thoughts?

Furthermore, I am debating to add or "affiliate" (as Harvard calls it) into their MD-PhD program. Are the only differences between HST MD-PhD and Pathways MD-PhD the MD years? Do I get to pick from the same full selection of Harvard or MIT Labs through either route? If my focus is to maximize research time during MD years, too, is it correct to think that the Pathways might actually give me more individual time to self-study and conduct research?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope to continue my computational neuroscience research at HMS and am wondering if Pathways or HST would let me enjoy my research more. I love the quantitative bent of HST, but I also much prefer learning/reading on my own and conducting research over doing homework problems, which I assume Pathways will give more freedom to do so. What are your thoughts?

Furthermore, I am debating to add or "affiliate" (as Harvard calls it) into their MD-PhD program. Are the only differences between HST MD-PhD and Pathways MD-PhD the MD years? Do I get to pick from the same full selection of Harvard or MIT Labs through either route? If my focus is to maximize research time during MD years, too, is it correct to think that the Pathways might actually give me more individual time to self-study and conduct research?

Post this in the HMS specific thread or reach out to the admissions office to talk to students or email the Md-PhD coordinator to ask. I don't think you'll get much luck from random SDNers