Harvard Intensive Summer Orgo, Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorBob

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So is anyone else on here going to be taking the summer Orgo program at Harvard? If so, are any of you going to be taking the MCAT in September? If so, I will be looking for a study buddy while I am there, so shoot me a message and we can set up a system to study by.

Members don't see this ad.

is that like a summer program?

So is anyone else on here going to be taking the summer Orgo program at Harvard? If so, are any of you going to be taking the MCAT in September? If so, I will be looking for a study buddy while I am there, so shoot me a message and we can set up a system to study by.

i took bio there and i knew a bunch of orgo kids. have fun, its an intense summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I completed that program. I would NOT take the MCAT at the end of the summer unless you've already begun studying. The program itself is very intense. I had very little free time. That may not be the case for you, but I know it was the case for me as well as the group of people I studied with. A couple of people were obviously studying for the MCAT while there, we just kind of looked at them like, 'wow, what soldiers.' There was also a kid there who like never studied--he just had a beautiful mind like that--so I'm sure he had plenty of free time. Tread lightly and stay focused.

Thanks for the comment. I expect it to be rough. Hopefully I can pull it off though. My plans are to finish inorganic chem, bio, and physics before I go and just listen to AO during the weekends to keep fresh. I hope the Orgo class itself will be enough prep for the MCAT. We will see though.

i was a teaching assistant for the course last summer. garry proctor is not teaching it anymore this yr; it will probably be logan. i'm not quite sure how this will affect the intensity, etc, of the course, but it's probably something to be aware of.

I took it 3 years ago... best decision ever, it was so easy. Pay attention during section then re-print (free @ 51 brattle street computer lab) and re-do the purple book 2 or 3 times the Sunday before the test and you'll get an A for sure. Go out/have fun the other 6 nights. Very do-able.

Is this like a free summer program you apply to or is this a course you have to pay for?

Unfortunately you have to pay for it. I took out a loan to do it, because its a good school, I want to apply this year, and I want to see Boston. Probably not the best idea, but I think I'll enjoy myself. Its 4500 for 8weeks but it counts as 1 year of Ochem with lab.

Are you a Harvard undergrad? There seems to be no benefit of going here if you are not a Harvard student. Is it just to say I took chem courses at Harvard and did well in them? I'm not trying to be offensive or anything, but there may be better ways to spend summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Orgo at Harvard was the best decision I ever made. The class was WAY more doable than it would have been at my undergrad institution, though I did not realize this when I signed up. I managed to volunteer quite a bit, I didn't pull off an A, but I did well enough. You should be able to study for the MCAT a little, and you will be ready for the orgo sections. I actually learned something during that class.

2 semesters of organic in 8 weeks....wow.

Are you a Harvard undergrad? There seems to be no benefit of going here if you are not a Harvard student. Is it just to say I took chem courses at Harvard and did well in them? I'm not trying to be offensive or anything, but there may be better ways to spend summer.

No offense taken. There is a better way to spend the summer and thats in Cabo. It may not be the best thing to do for everyone but due to that I am a nontraditional trying to apply in the 2008 cycle, this is the only way for me to complete the requirements before my application. Also taking into account the way I learn, I do much better in an atmosphere where I am completely submerged in the work, and not having to worry about classes on the side or research.
Also I have contacted schools and they say that completing Orgo at Harvard is looked at in a slightly better light, than say the UC I am at.

Finally and most importantly I want to go to Boston and have a interesting summer at a interesting school with a lot of history. I am doing this not only for the class, but for my own personal interests. So again, this may not be suited for everyone.

Sorry Mr.Cactus for not addressing your question. You are correct, the 4.5 k does not provide housing. Housing is 3k extra which includes all food. Its a pricey program, but I bet its good. Or at least I hope its good:D

Uh other than getting orgo over with? Seems like a pretty good deal to me. Get ahead of the game. $4.5k + $3k housing (dorms) was cheaper than my school's summer program for Orgo 1 and 2 ($9k).

oh okay i didn't realize that this is a great way for non-science majors to take orgo over the summer. i guess i wrongly assumed that OP was a science major and a current undergrad, in which case he/she may be better off taking at his/her institute. (and by better ways to spend summer i didn't mean socially). anyhow, i apologize for my confusion. i also spent a summer in boston ~2 years ago, and i had a great time. it's a lovely city =)

Sorry Mr.Cactus for not addressing your question. You are correct, the 4.5 k does not provide housing. Housing is 3k extra which includes all food. Its a pricey program, but I bet its good. Or at least I hope its good:D

Not a problem, it's easy to miss a post on these forums. Thanks for answering.

It's a shame that the program is so much. I'd be tempted at $4.5k, but $7.5k? Could think of a lot of other things I'd prefer to do with that kind of money...

It's cool. I'll let it slide. Only this once though! ;)

I have just signed up for the Harvard Organic Class as well. :)

I was considering also doing the biology, since my Bio I and II grades aren't up to par, but I think I'll stick to just organic for now...