Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

harvard interview

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by uvabioengr, Dec 5, 2002.

1. uvabioengr

uvabioengr New Member

So I rolled into my Harvard Interview thinking that I'm going to try something a little different, something that would catch the admission board by surprise and win my acceptance. As my sweaty palm grasped the handle of the secret messiah which would guarantee the next four years of my life, I was suprised by an elderly man who suddenly called my name. It was my father's best friend from medical school (a Harvard graduate). He told me
    that he would be on the admissions panel this year and directed
    me to the room in which my interview was to be conducted. I sat
    down in a leather chair steadily recalling the dispositions which
    I hoped to articulate during the interview. Then I remembered my
    "difference factor." I had constantly been told to be different, to show people why I want to go to medical school, and to avoid being dull. I slowly opened my secret treasure, but hastily closed it as I heard my interviewer arrive. After introductions were completed, and the bantering had commenced for a couple of minutes, the dreaded questions started, "Why do you want to go to medical school?" and the "How are you different from other applicants?" With the second question on the table, I decided that it was time to demonstrate the awe inspiring power of my secret box (i.e. my deliverance). As I garnered enough momentum to reach under my chair and secure the aforementioned item, the interviewer slowly changed his tone which became very inquisitive. I was almost embarrassed, thinking that my shirt may have become untucked and he could see my "lower back" because of my low ride pants. But I continued to reach for the item and presented it to him. His eyebrows raised and his mouth slowly cracked a smile. Then I heard "Son, you've just gained acceptance to the most prestigious medical university in the nation."

Some of you may be wondering, did I read all that and he didn't tell me what he took to the interview? Well, I guess you're right. Hey, did you ever have one of those Jaws lunchboxes when you were little? Oh, how I treasured those little pieces of magic! You should always take one wherever you go. Just make sure that its contents match the occassion.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Opie

Opie Member
    7+ Year Member

weird story. I don't understand the relevance of the Jaws lunchbox to the interview or how you wear low-rise pants with a suit, but it might just be a harvard thing. good luck, maybe it will turn out well for you.

4. mvervaine

mvervaine Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

interesting story...but if you think the lunchbox alone sealed the deal for you, why did you also mention that the interviewer was your father's best friend from med school? are we supposed to read something into that?

no offense intended, by the way. i'm just curious.

5. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

This is such an annoying post. One of two things must be true.

1) you handed him more than a lunch box... i.e. there was something inside. You're not telling us what was inside is just teasing and immature. I mean... why bother posting about it if your going to leave out the most interesting part? Or did you just want a whole thread dedicated to your Harvard interview?

or...

2) the lunch box had nothing to do with your acceptance... and so this whole story is just silly

Also people, keep in mind that no one interviewer can get you into a school. Decisions are made by a committee. This interviewer must have known he was in before he even got to the interview (maybe because he had obvious connections). Who knows? This post is just pointless...

6. Kurleyfry

Kurleyfry Member
    7+ Year Member

one more reason not to apply to harvard with wackjobs like this guy going there...

7. uvabioengr

uvabioengr New Member

The significance of the Jaws lunchbox is it carried my "special purpose" - no Steve Martin, a la "The Jerk," reference intended (I love that movie).

In response to my dad's friend - yes, that's what I had in mind all along and you are correct in saying that is the point of my story (yes, this is sarcasm).

Just wanted to share my little story and remind everyone to be different (because we are) and have a little fun along the way.

8. Nefertari

Nefertari Undercover Premed
    7+ Year Member

RP, I agree. It's not cute, not funny, just pretentious & annoying. (pardon my irritability--i just had to deal w/ the rudest AT&T lady to cancel my cable)

9. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.
    right.
    :rolleyes:

10. Angeliqua

Angeliqua Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    people! lighten up! don't read and/or respond to a thread negatively just because you don't like what he said/the way he said it. Sure, I was just as puzzled but certainly wasn't about to rip on the guy for it.

Good luck uvabioengr.

Nefertari - I have been trying to cancel my cable for 3 months and AT&T just can't seem to handle it! I don't even live at the place anymore, unbelievable. I hope you have better luck with it than I do!

11. highlighter

highlighter Junior Member

Oh come on guys... the low-rise pants... the "something special" bit... we all know what was in the box... a Trojan and a note reading "meet me in room 203 in 30min."

Just messin' with you uvabioengr.... like how you're messin' with us. ;)

12. jot

jot

:laugh:
    thats funny sh!t
    bewildering but funny.

13. i hate long posts, i even hate long posts that have no intentions, crap.

congrats uvabioengr. :)

14. TechMan

TechMan Dreams Stuff are Made of.
    10+ Year Member

Harvard doesn't give acceptances until the end of February.

15. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i just want to compliment you on your writing. i don't often read posts of such length without a break in there somewhere. good job, i was enraptured with your introduction, though admittedly disappointed with the finish.

16. conure

conure Master Distiller
    7+ Year Member

god why don't premeds have any sense of humor. Come on people does everything have to be so serious??

17. well , if there was something funny, then u would have an excuse to post this.

18. conure

conure Master Distiller
    7+ Year Member

thank you for making my point. I just knew someone would.

19. Nefertari

Nefertari Undercover Premed
    7+ Year Member

:laugh: Now, that's funnier!

Yeah, Angeliqua, i've had it w/ AT&T. I had digital cable, wanted to downgrade to just the local channels & the bitchy lady said i had to pay blah-blah-blah for the switching fee (after i had been told before that i didn't have to pay extra fees to change service), etc. & i just said forget it, just cancel it! There's not much good stuff on TV these days anyhow.

20. Opie

Opie Member
    7+ Year Member

I see the attempt at humor after reading the story again, but changing a couple words might make the story more funny and less confusing.

It is funny how people, including myself, react more seriously to anything that mentions harvard.

nice work uvabioengr

21. i aim to please :)

22. Opie

Opie Member
    7+ Year Member

I like the side conversation about AT&T too, its both confusing and amusing at the same time, just like the initial post.