Harvard interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

06applicant

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how many interview invites do they give out? can someone post the MSAR stats (applicants, interviews, acceptances)?

Members don't see this ad.

Applied: 4,553
Interviewed: 711
Accepted: 225
Matriculated: 165

do you know how they evaluate post-interview? is everyone on equal footing once they get to the interview stage, or are they evaluated based on their whole application?
I'm basically wondering how much weight their interviews carry.

Members don't see this ad :)
anystream said:
do you know how they evaluate post-interview? is everyone on equal footing once they get to the interview stage, or are they evaluated based on their whole application?

I really dount anyone can answer that for sure. I figure stats may not be looked at as much because they saw that before the interview and are fine with them. However, I imagine your extracurr. stuff still is important as well as interview.

anystream said:

Interviews carry much weight there. Had a buddy with 4.0 and 35 and he said he screwed up the interview. He got rejected.

Don't take any interviews lightly. If you impress them you leave no doubt. However, if you screw up, panick, then, you leave much doubt lingering within the minds of the ad com members.

Faust said:
Interviews carry much weight there. Had a buddy with 4.0 and 35 and he said he screwed up the interview. He got rejected.

Don't take any interviews lightly. If you impress them you leave no doubt. However, if you screw up, panick, then, you leave much doubt lingering within the minds of the ad com members.

thanks for the input...now I'm wondering if anyone has interviewed there already to give me some idea of how the day works. wow, I am so excited and nervous at the same time.

Well, I definitely don't have the answer to your question but I'm a student at HMS. I really felt like I *bombed* my interviews and I got in. I had a high GPA and good MCATs but not amazing (35R). Go figure. I really can't figure these things out. The bottom line is to try your best on every part of the application process. good luck. Feel free to PM me with any school specific q's.

I interviewed there yesterday!

You get to the conference room at 8 in the morning, and students are there to meet you and talk to you about the school. There were 7 of us interviewing. Then, we had talks from 2 different admissions people, lasting until a little after 9. Most people had a morning interview and an afternoon one, and whatever time you have in the gaps is yours to do whatever (they give you a big booklet with different tips for what to explore and where to go in your free time--I went to the Warren Anatomical Museum in the library and saw Phineus Gage's skull!!!). At 12:15, everyone meets up for lunch in the atrium, where your student tour guides, and whatever other students feel like it, have lunch with you. You get an $8 lunch voucher (I got tilapia in lemon sauce with broccoli and rice pilaf--swanky!). After lunch, you have a tour. My tour guides were SO cool and fun, and really into showing us around; our tour lasted until like 2:30! Then I killed a little more time and went to my second interview (had to take a cab to MGH, but they give you a voucher to pay for it and it was very easy). Both interviews were extremely laid back and friendly.

All in all, I had an incredible time, and if I get in this is where I'm going.

Hope that helps! Feel free to PM me with any questions :)

Risa said:
I interviewed there yesterday!

You get to the conference room at 8 in the morning, and students are there to meet you and talk to you about the school. There were 7 of us interviewing. Then, we had talks from 2 different admissions people, lasting until a little after 9. Most people had a morning interview and an afternoon one, and whatever time you have in the gaps is yours to do whatever (they give you a big booklet with different tips for what to explore and where to go in your free time--I went to the Warren Anatomical Museum in the library and saw Phineus Gage's skull!!!). At 12:15, everyone meets up for lunch in the atrium, where your student tour guides, and whatever other students feel like it, have lunch with you. You get an $8 lunch voucher (I got tilapia in lemon sauce with broccoli and rice pilaf--swanky!). After lunch, you have a tour. My tour guides were SO cool and fun, and really into showing us around; our tour lasted until like 2:30! Then I killed a little more time and went to my second interview (had to take a cab to MGH, but they give you a voucher to pay for it and it was very easy). Both interviews were extremely laid back and friendly.

All in all, I had an incredible time, and if I get in this is where I'm going.

Hope that helps! Feel free to PM me with any questions :)

Thanks for giving me an idea of what the day will be like. By the way, what time did your day end (my invite email says plan to be there until 6).

06applicant said:
Thanks for giving me an idea of what the day will be like. By the way, what time did your day end (my invite email says plan to be there until 6).

I think I was the latest one... my second interview was at 4 and ended at like 5:30.

When are you interviewing? Good luck!!

I'm really excited for this interview too. ... I was wondering, does it seem like most of the med students there come from ivy/top 10 undergrads? I am from a state university, and this is the only part of my application that I feel gives me a slight disadvantage. I would hope they look past that though.

SeattlePostBach said:
I'm really excited for this interview too. ... I was wondering, does it seem like most of the med students there come from ivy/top 10 undergrads? I am from a state university, and this is the only part of my application that I feel gives me a slight disadvantage. I would hope they look past that though.

i hope med schools in general would look past what school i'm from, a dinky lil state school in cali (not UC system). Even in Vanderbilt and U Mich, everyone i interviewed with was from if not Harvard, then Yale or JH or Stanford. A little off topic there but yea, gimme an interview harvard, show me some love!

I wish I was smart enough to interview at harvard. If I applied there, they would use my amcas as toilet paper (that is if they run out, which i doubt)