harvard is taking forever

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedApp2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is harvard (new pathway) taking forever to get back to everyone?? or am i the only one?

i heard back from all my other schools (heard from the last one about a month ago) but still no word from harvard. bleh.

Members don't see this ad.

somebody said they don't send out rejections until the spring. so either you're on hold or rejected probably if you haven't heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys
i wouldn't give up ALL hope. i believe they interview through january, so there's still some time.

Have you already interviewed and are waiting to hear? if so, they don't send out anything until last week of Feb.

or are you talking about pre-interview? in that case, its prob not a good sign if you haven't heard yet. when i was there, the admissions people said they are going to interview a little less than 700 people this year, and if im not mistaken, they are done interviewing sometime in january

Originally posted by fava
hey guys
i wouldn't give up ALL hope. i believe they interview through january, so there's still some time.

if they interview through january then we are pretty much screwed since a jan interview date would most likely have to come from an early dec/late nov interview invitation.

I believe they SEND invitation through to mid january.

they are definately still sending out invites - like poeple have been saying any htey will through january from whati understand. i dunno anything else about their timetable of admisisons. they can give a startilingly small notice for interviews (12 days) so you don't necessarily have to hear about it months eralier.

You could always call the HMS admissions office and chastise them for stringing you along...I'm sure you're entitled to an interview there, they just haven't realized it yet.

Originally posted by jot
they are definately still sending out invites - like poeple have been saying any htey will through january from whati understand. i dunno anything else about their timetable of admisisons. they can give a startilingly small notice for interviews (12 days) so you don't necessarily have to hear about it months eralier.

ah i c....so we're not completely in barney yet.

This is direct from the email I got stating my application was complete.

"Applicants selected for interviews will have been notified by the second week of January. Offers of acceptance will be made from this group. All applicants will be notified of our final decision during the last week of February"

Thats it.

I wouldn't start worrying quite yet. When I got my interview invite, I got to choose from a list of dates the very next week. They really get you in pretty quickly.

I also know people who interviewed on the very last days of the interview schedule last year who got accepted. When they say they aren't rolling, they mean it =)

Good luck!

Originally posted by lola
somebody said they don't send out rejections until the spring. so either you're on hold or rejected probably if you haven't heard.

How do you know they are done?

Members don't see this ad :)
Defend or Refute the following statement:
(In my experience it is true)

It is easier to get an interview at Harvard than at UCSF (out of state) or at BU(out of state and you have above average stats).

Secondly, during my visit there, I found out that some of the first years received their invitation to interview in early february. It could have been due to the delays last year or that the time lines offered by med schools don't quite reflect reality. I think it is a combination of the two but don't forget the later statement. Best of luck!!!

For MD/PhD, the last interview date at Harvard is 01/28/02. For regular MD, they stop interview early Jan. I love how they just don't process your app till the interview dates are all gone, and then reject you without even reviweing your apps.

thanks guys. you just gave me an incentive to call them up and see what is going on.

i haven't lost hope yet!

alphabeta53: I will refute that statement. I received an interview for UCSF out of state and haven't heard from Harvard about an interview and my app has been complete there since mid-August. So, in my experience UCSF out of state was easier, but I think it's probably more fair to say that they value different aspects of an application. I have heard that UCSF puts a ton of weight on the personal statement.

Since I did not receive a pre-interview rejection from Harvard (has anyone?), I imagine Harvard did not deem me to be in their top tier of early applicants and are probably reviewing me again (along with the rest of the people still waiting to hear from them)with the August MCATers and will make a final decision by mid-January about an interview.

I think that schools with one set date of notification don't really rank the applicants during the interview process. This means that being interviewed earlier doesn't mean that the school regards you any higher than someone who interviewed later. I think they invite as they go along, God only knows their criteria for judgement. By the way, congrats on the UCSF interview NYC-Non-trad.

medapp2003 -

what did they say when you called?

i dunno vhat is up with harvard. I know ppl getting interviews at mayo, cornell, dartmouth, UVA (out of state), and similarly hard places, yet harvard gives no love. Harvards loss!

hey katem. i sent you PM. i really don't think we should stress yet. i think harvard might just be slow.

Hey everyone, don't worry about Harvard. Last year, I interviewed on the last possible interview day which was March 8 b/c of the AMCAS problems. I didn't recieve my invite until Feb.

I really think the process is kinda of random. My app was in their hands on the day before the orginal deadline, and i got an e-mail that my file is complete from them on the 17th. today i got an e-mail for the interview. it said they were interviewing till the 31st of jan.

they're making a hard effort to get interviews scheduled before the holiday season goes into high gear. hope you guys/gals hear soon!

Random, Fringe theory:

Also, just to throw out a theory... Hopkins and Harvard talk. Speaking to several students at both schools.. VERY FEW people get accepatances from both insitutions (look at the stanford data some guy posted a long time ago its like 20 people out of 400-500). Faculty & Med Students at Hopkins have told me bluntly they are reasonably sure it happens. Still speculation as it seems to violate some AAMC guidelines, etc.

Bill

eeeeeenteresting, bill.
how would that work, though, since hopkins is rolling and harvard isn't? hopkins gets first dibs?
weird stuff

if it makes y'all feel better, my friend (who is now a 2nd year at HMS) had an interview in late january and got in directly. AND--he was from a state school.

btw, whenever i see the acronym HMS, i automatically think "pinafore," like the song. yeah, i'm weird.

I interviewed at Harvard mid-November but I got a pre-interview HOLD at UCSF (out of state).

Originally posted by alphabeta53
Defend or Refute the following statement:
(In my experience it is true)

It is easier to get an interview at Harvard than at UCSF (out of state) or at BU(out of state and you have above average stats).

Secondly, during my visit there, I found out that some of the first years received their invitation to interview in early february. It could have been due to the delays last year or that the time lines offered by med schools don't quite reflect reality. I think it is a combination of the two but don't forget the later statement. Best of luck!!!

the lady i talked to today said that interview invitations are going out until the end of january. not to worry. applications are still in all different stages of processing.

i think they are just slow and little disorganized.

I find it curiously whimsical that you converse as though you'll be insulted by the disrespect shown by Harvard if they decline to interview you. They should, after all, be honored that you would deign to even consider blessing them with your worshipfulness.

I do feel terrific sympathy for you, though, and your concern with the potential of not attending Harvard - it would be a shame to see you forced to grovel amongst the pickled pig's feet of medical education with the rest of us mortals.

Originally posted by xaelia
I find it curiously whimsical that you converse as though you'll be insulted by the disrespect shown by Harvard if they decline to interview you. They should, after all, be honored that you would deign to even consider blessing them with your worshipfulness.

I do feel terrific sympathy for you, though, and your concern with the potential of not attending Harvard - it would be a shame to see you forced to grovel amongst the pickled pig's feet of medical education with the rest of us mortals.

huh?? i hope you are joking. i don't even see how you are getting that from this thread?? personally i am just getting anxious that i hadn't heard from them. umm, i think the process makes us all anxious whether we are waiting for harvard or any other school. it would just be nice to have closure ... whether a yes OR a no.

Can anyone confirm/deny that Harvard is still sending out interview invites and interviewing until Jan 31 as was stated earlier in this thread?

Thanks! I'm at almost 5 months and counting now of waiting. Can't they just make up their minds?

I've been waiting for about 5 months as well. Can anyone answer these questions...

A) When does Harvard send out interview invites until?

B) When does Harvard interview until?

C) Generally, how long does Harvard give you after the invite to schedule an interview?

D) If you don't get an interview invitation by the date in (A), does that mean automatic rejection?

i'll try to answer some of these from what i've heard - its unofficial so ... you know

i've herad that they will be sending invites till 3rd week of jan, and are interviewing less than 700 students this year (as opposed to a bit more in previous years). i was given 13 days notice until interview date - but that was because of the mstp; med school had a few more days back then. some people last year only realized they were rejected becasue the interview season past them by - dunno if that is the normal practice or an erratum.

a few schools like columbia have been tacking on interview dates, and its very possible that others are as well. the zen of waiting ....

best,
-jot

Originally posted by NYC Non-Trad
Can anyone confirm/deny that Harvard is still sending out interview invites and interviewing until Jan 31 as was stated earlier in this thread?

Thanks! I'm at almost 5 months and counting now of waiting. Can't they just make up their minds?

I don't know about this year, but I'm pretty sure Harvard interviewed later than that last year. I'm pretty sure one of my friends interviewed either in February or the first week of March and was basically told the same day that she got in. I'm 90% sure that she told me after spring break that she got in, so maybe she had one of those late March interviews (our spring break is the 1st and 2nd week of March usually)...

-RA

how does harvard notify an applicant of an interview invitation - is it through a phone call, email or postal mail?

Originally posted by uclamendoza
how does harvard notify an applicant of an interview invitation - is it through a phone call, email or postal mail?

They will send you an email. Oh yeah, and by the way...for the UCSF and Harvard debate...I got an interview from Harvard, but a pre-secondary reject from UCSF. Random stuff. :p

if u haven't heard by now, ain't lookin' good. keep yo head up

Originally posted by dr kevin40
if u haven't heard by now, ain't lookin' good. keep yo head up

You been there, Kev? Thought I remember it being one of your top 3, but my memory could be failing me.

bump.
(sorry, I just cant resist. its amazing how many views this thread gets :laugh: )

No news for me. I received a reply to an update email note I wrote saying, "We are in receipt of your updated information..." but no reference to my status.

What does bump mean??

from what i've seen, i think it simply shows a poster trying to bring the thread to the top of the discussion line for "additional discussion"..

One of my friends got an email last Friday for Harvard interviews on Thursday and Friday (she's applying for HST too). Just in case anyone was wondering...pretty last minute...

cool! just got an email -- guess they are still sending invites!!

one of the choices was to interview tomorrow! (talk about short notice).

congrats and good luck

Originally posted by MedApp2003
cool! just got an email -- guess they are still sending invites!!

one of the choices was to interview tomorrow! (talk about short notice).

Congrats!!! Are you at the College?

According to the email Harvard sends to confirm that your file is complete, "Applicants selected for interviews will have been notified by the second week of January." By my calculations, that means today is it.

So, my question is has anyone started receiving rejection letters from Hahvaad? I'm expecting mine to be forthcoming since I have still not received an email interview invite.

A couple Hombres of mine got invites Yesterday. Its winding down o'er in fair Longwood.

Hope that Helps.

PShankOut