1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Harvard MD/DDS

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Georgey, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Georgey

Georgey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm curious to know if anybody has some info on Harvard's Oral Surgery MD/DDS program. How long is it? Is the program designed in such a way so that one must go into oral surgery, or even dentistry for that matter after getting the dual degree?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RacerDude2249

RacerDude2249 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The Harvard oral surgery program is a six-year program that leads to both the medical degree from Harvard and a certificate to practice oral and maxillofacial surgery. As for the DDS, it is actually a DMD they offer (but same thing) and it is earned once four years of dental school is completed. So, first one must complete four years of dental school, THEN apply into the six year oral surgery program at Harvard. There is no guarantee that a DMD from Harvard will grant one admission into the six year oral surgery program. From my research on oral surgery, Harvard offers a great program, but not the best in the nation surprisingly. Many oral surgeons I have spoken with have stated that there are other oral surgery programs throughout the nation that produce better surgeons. However, if it is the presige you are after, Harvard certainly does carry the name.

Racerdude

4. Georgey

Georgey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the info. I'm still not sure as to the purpose of the MD degree. At Harvard or any other school for that matter if one wants to become an oral surgeon. My father is an oral surgeon (DDS only) and is the senior member of his practice. He has some younger partners that have the dual degree but they do almost all the same procedures that he does. I say almost because I think they play around in plastics more than my father does but that's it. Why then all the effort to get the extra to letters behind your name (MD) if it adds little to the scope of one's practice?

5. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

A minor note: there are two equivalent dental degrees awarded in the US: Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) and Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD). Which is offered is a matter of in which state the dental school is located. For example, in Mass and PA, all grads receive the DMD; in NY all grads are awarded the DDS. They mean exactly the same thing despite the difference in terminology.